Cheap twin turbo story in this month's Car Craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap twin turbo story in this month's Car Craft

Just got it in last night. It's pretty bad ass.

Anyone else seen it?

That dude Ted Toki's '55 Chevy is the car. The did it for rock bottom cheapness, put the turbos on the iron headed 355 that was in the car, used a quick n' dirty modded Holley carb and got the thing into the 7s in the eighth mile right out of the box with no tuning.

The story was really well done and one of my favorites from the mag in some time.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Cheap twin turbo story in this month's Car Craft

I have had mine for a week now, kinda funny contrast to the Hot Rod Article from last months about turbo systems.

I was more amazed that there were so many articles on Fords... Is Jeff Smith OK???
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Off-Topic: I have heard mention of Jeff Smith in HRM many times. But who really is he? I know he has been an editor in numerous automotive publications, but that is about it. Have any of you met him? What does he drive?

Looks like I may have to pick up the new issue of Car Craft! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Just got it in last night. It's pretty bad ass.

Anyone else seen it?

That dude Ted Toki's '55 Chevy is the car. The did it for rock bottom cheapness, put the turbos on the iron headed 355 that was in the car, used a quick n' dirty modded Holley carb and got the thing into the 7s in the eighth mile right out of the box with no tuning.

The story was really well done and one of my favorites from the mag in some time.

Brian
        ok ok.. haven't seen the mag..
        but, what was the "rock bottom cheapness" ?

Comment

I read it I want to say Tuesday?
          I don't get into it much, but interesting article. Almost makes me regret not buying some vintage 351 cleveland 4 barrel head turbo manifolds from the 70's... :P

Nothing like taking el-cheapo china turbos and getting a couple hundred horses and the 95% payback of probably scattering an engine if abused hard enough.

I was just digging the '55 with no clip on the 1/8th mile. Although, didn't think one could run like that without a front clip on the car?

Probably would have been better with at least a basic intercooler though, from my basic understanding about cooling the air temps??

Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

so no part cost list in mag...

Comment

just a few household items laying around the house
              that is the cat from westside performance ? so , it helps to have a speedshop at your disposal

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                just a few household items laying around the house
                that is the cat from westside performance ? so , it helps to have a speedshop at your disposal
                oh.. it's all making sense now

Comment

There is an itemized price list in the article. The eBay turbos were under $300 for the pair!
                  D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

Originally posted by ProCharged509
                    There is an itemized price list in the article. The eBay turbos were under $300 for the pair!
                    ok thanks
                    used turbo's??
                    and if so.. you wouldn't just bolt them one without having them checked would you ??
                    D/G ?????????

Comment

Good ole Ted "Kaboom!" Toki. I know him. Westside Performance is near where I live live. He doesn't have the best rep in town for treating customers right, and his nickname has to do with his engine building.

Doug Glad seems to be buddies with him and uses his shop to get articles and Ted's unique view on building engines. Since CC has zero budget these days, they need to take advantage of crazies like Ted.

Jeff Smith has been around HRM and CC since the late 70's. He was editor of CC back in the 80's when it got it's Camaro Craft nickname. He's a really great guy and very knowledgable. Very approachable and easy to talk to which many car editors are not. He owns two '66 Chevelles. The orange one has an LS engine and runs 11.70's with a carb and a 7004R. The other '66 is in pieces. He has a 65 Chevelles set up for roadrace/autocross that just got a Global West setup. A red flamed '66 Elco that never gets run "in anger". He also has a rare '67 Z-28 that he bought without knowing how rare it was. It's been sitting for years waiting a resto.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                        ok thanks
                        used turbo's??
                        and if so.. you wouldn't just bolt them one without having them checked would you ??
                        D/G ?????????
                        they were new. It had a parts list dint have it with me they were T3/T4
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Here's a link to the cover shot. Nice looking install.
                          http://www.carcraft.com/toc/thismonth/photo_01.html
                          D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
                            Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                            ok thanks
                            used turbo's??
                            D/G ?????????
                            they were new. It had a parts list dint have it with me they were T3/T4
                            300 for a pair of turbo's new?
                            I'll read this at work overnight..
                            but it's getti g a fishy smell

Comment

What a contrast between the Car Craft and HRM approach.

I use used turbos all the time. Check 'em for run-out and throw them on. They are pretty simple devices, they need to spin without hitting the turbine or compressor housings and not leak oil. That's about it. The IHI on the DD beater SVO is from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe that somebody gave me. The car was a beat POS, the turbo has worked flawlessly.

Sure you can spend money and time making sure they are perfect, but a rebuild from my buddy at Turbo-Power, Cliff Duval, is less than $400, unless you get into something exotic.

I still shy away from the knock-offs on e-bay. I'd rather get something that says "Holset", "Garrett", "IHI", etc from a junkyard.

But to each his own approach.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X