Advise/suggestions from my Michigan friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise/suggestions from my Michigan friends

Planning a trip to Mackinac Island this weekend... Any thoughts? Routes to stay away from? Never been there. Never been past Detroit. Thanks for the input. 8)

Re: Advise/suggestions from my Michigan friends

Which direction are you coming from? Not to many choices for ways to go. You will eventually be on I-75. Keep in mind that there is a weekly migration of heavy traffic heading "up north" that plug most arteries in the northerly direction. Once you are north of birch run things loosen up. You will have a great time in Mackinaw. Lots to see, Lots of history. If you have time check out both Forts. One is on the island the other is south of the bridge in Mackinaw City.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
      Planning a trip to Mackinac Island this weekend... Any thoughts? Routes to stay away from? Never been there. Never been past Detroit. Thanks for the input. 8)
      I would request a stop in Lansing, just to say hi,
      and maybe to gas up. ;D

The last time I went up, I took Hwy. 13,
      around the left side of the state, lots of
      scenery, and beautiful winding roads, all
      the way to Petoskey.

Comment

I'll be coming up from Indy.

I'll try Bill.
        Thanks guys

Comment

As along time Michigan native I'd advise avoiding US23 past Ann Arbor (I don't think your route will take you there, but just in case). It turns into one substantial plug about 3:00 on Friday and again on Sunday afternoon. Done there, been that!

Dan

Comment

I75 has been jammed up Friday afternoons going over the Zilwaukee bridge in Saginaw. You may be better off getting off @ exit 91 (Clarkston) and taking M15 north into Bay City and than getting back on I75. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'll get you my phone number for nav assist.

Comment

Watch out for the horse droppings when you get there. ;)

Comment

On your way back you could roll west down M28, stop in at my place for a campfire and smores, then head down through Green Bay and Milwaukee. You would have driven entirely around Lake Michigan and at the same time got to see the scenic vistas of the Upper Peninsula. Ya know years back in the 80s HR or CC (cant remember which) did an article on the most scenic drives, and M28 as well as highway 2 along the coast of Lake Michigan were included in the story. It would be more fun than retracing your steps that brought you up here.

Comment

I will also highly reccomend avoiding i75 north of flint to saginaw. I think there is construction and M15 will be much faster. My in laws have a boat at Tawas and we always take M15 up to bay city,it is usualy good for shaving 45 minuets off of the trip. When you get up there drive across the bridge to St Ignace, there was a really good resturant right not far from the brige. It has a caboose in the parking lot.
                  Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Traverse City is nice too if you have time. Lots or cherry orchards (wineries) and bed and breakfast type places and tourist stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traverse_City,_Michigan
                    Sleeping Bear Dunes | Relax and give way to the uncommon pleasures of tranquil, naturally beautiful settings that many of our locations have to offer.

I don't know if you have kids or not but I loved the forts when I was a kid - still have those memories and pictures too.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Sneak into the old Packard plant. :o
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Jeff

Your departure time will be critical - avoiding Friday afternoon "cottage rush hour" heading up North will be your priority unless you enjoy stop and go traffic.

I'm assuming you'll be taking I69 north out of Indy - Wave to my Brother in Fishers as you roll by.

Take I69 all the way to Lansing - then hop on I75 and go straight North from there.

That will avoid most of the Detroit cottage traffic as you won't be going through Flint and Saginaw.

Are you taking the ferry and staying on the mainland or are you staying on the island?

Lots to see and do - plenty of cool places to give your camera a work out.

hopefully it's not TOO crowded up there. I've always wanted to go up there later in the fall after the height of the tourist season is over to check things out when it's less crowded and the pace is even slower.

I would say it's worth the $5 to get onto the porch of the Grand Hotel for the picture taking opportunities - or if you're a big fan of "some place in time".
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Milner I think the ONLY time to go up there is a week or two after labor day. I had never been to Mackinaw befor and me and Meri went the week after labor day, we had the run of the place! All of the kiddies were in school so there was nobody but us and retireees up there. No traffic or crowds because it is right before the trees start changing colors, I would highly reccomend going up there then if you want to see everything.
                          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions... Wife has to work Saturday so we are either leaving Saturday evening and driving part way or leave early Sunday morning. We're only staying a couple of days. Trying to get out of the heat and humidity. ;D
                            Taking our bikes too. My daughter is looking forward to it.

Comment

Leaving Saturday you should have clear roads northbound truck driver. Hammer down! 8)
                              Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                              X