Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found some old pictures of the car my Gpa taught me basic bodywork on.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some old pictures of the car my Gpa taught me basic bodywork on.....

Back in '92 I needed some basic cheap transportation....... and a neighbor had this car that his son wrecked.

I bought the car, and my Grandpa tucked me under his wing and oversaw my labors. He coached me on what to do, and stepped in to lend a hand when needed. We ended up needing to cut the fender completely off to straighten it out, just wouldn't move otherwise.

I wish I had more pictures of this time. I miss my Grandpa everyday, extremely glad for all of the goofy projects we spent time on together though.

This is what the car looks like today, 18 years & 70,000 miles later. Our work wasn't perfect by any means, infact a blind man would chuckle over the work. But quarters simply weren't available for this year/model, and we made it useable for very minor outlay.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Re: Found some old pictures of the car my Gpa taught me basic bodywork on.....

WOW!

That's great stuff.

You still have it?

That's even better.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That is cool - what is it a Skylark ?
      Good memories too - priceless !
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

'66 Special. The blue parts were from a rusted out Skylark though, Skylarks had fancier level of trim. Same bodies in '66.

Notice how we spiced on the non-rusted-but-bent edge of the trunklid to the the rusted out one?

Memories are flowing back, its like I am there again.....

Yeah, still have the car. Nobody else wants it.... :'(

Comment

That is one crazy looking dashboard.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

that is awesome... 18 years gained. :D

I am just learning since 2006 what happens when steel is corrected, welded, gauges a bit different, underlying paint and fillers beyond oe...

realizing this clock in reality, after just four years of seeming stopped in time... I could take a day out and perfect things. It is so very satisfying. Great stuff to learn. Rust, and bangups aren't all that intimidating. It helps teach the car and what it does in such messups.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

That's cool! I wish I had taken pictures of my Torino when my dad and I were doing the bodywork when I first got it. Of course, our idea of bodywork was two 1 gallon cans of Bondo. :
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

You where lucky ;).I had to learn by myself..no grandpa or dad to help with that kind of stuff.I would have problems with gettin rid of that car.....a special with its lack of chrome.could be made sinister lookin in wide steelies...

Comment

Looks like you got alot of practice on the patient there Stiney. Think you'll ever get her mobile again? It would be a unique cruise-in car or Power Tour car.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Sure, it runs right now, just kinda loud and doesn't really stop. A weekend of lovin' would have her back on the road....

Comment

That is one I think you should keep forever - the story and learning experience behind it alone make it worth keeping.

That's way cool.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Excellent - the patient is a survivor too!!!
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'd have to have the ol' girl MAACO'd, check her over, and go drivin'. You WILL NOT kill that V6, but she might need a timing chain from time to time. I wonder if Jessel makes a drive for those......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X