Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Re: Dave and Chad cut up a vet for HR mag.

:o

Leave a comment:

• Monk
    replied

Back in the 60's Hot Rod Magazine had
    a section on boats called
    'Rooster Tails' written
    by Eric Rickman

Leave a comment:

• stmike
    replied

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Originally posted by stmike
    Originally posted by Freiburger
    Originally posted by BangShiftChad
    How does 7.80 at 135 sound in the quarter on the water!
    Sounds like a boat noob making a mistake, I thought they ran eighth miles on the water!
    Quarter-mile here at Lake Ming and others. But when you look at the numbers, don't forget that boat drags are timed from a "roll," which also makes the reaction times really hard to nail. And Finnegan won a championship.
    not to jack the thread totally here..freiburger is right. the starting line is 100ft from the rope we hold onto to stage the boats. This is because boats dont just go forward when you mash gas, they go up. Some leap completely out of the water so the tree is moved forward so that the boat in each lane can break the beam cleanly. Guess that's why the mph is so low for the ET.
    Is that a rolling start then? AS a spectator, all I saw was boats, sitting under a rope, dudes holding onto the rope, christmas tree comes down and boats immediately go WOT from a dig. What happens if one guy leaves earlier than the other? when I think of "rolling start" I think of Indycar or offshore boats (I've tuned quite a few offshore boats, they start their races "from a roll" planed off, etc.)

This is interesting, thanks for any info you can share!
    20 years ago it was a true rolling start. Boats would roll over on plane before the tree, pair up next to each other, and then go.
    Now its more like what you see at a car race. The amber lights come on and you go whenever you want. Leave too early and you red light. Cutting a good light is not easy because you are sitting there holding onto a rope, trying to keep the boat straight with the wind blowing. Most boats dont have neutral either so that makes it difficult to sit still.

The good running boats will indeed mash the throttle and be at WOT well before reaching the tree. In my deal i go full throttle from an idle and am on the nitrous before I even get to the tree.

here's a link to some vids that show it:
    wrong, way, racing, njba, drag, boat, race, dragboat, bakersfield, ming

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Sounds like a boat noob making a mistake, I thought they ran eighth miles on the water!
    Quarter-mile here at Lake Ming and others. But when you look at the numbers, don't forget that boat drags are timed from a "roll," which also makes the reaction times really hard to nail. And Finnegan won a championship.
    not to jack the thread totally here..freiburger is right. the starting line is 100ft from the rope we hold onto to stage the boats. This is because boats dont just go forward when you mash gas, they go up. Some leap completely out of the water so the tree is moved forward so that the boat in each lane can break the beam cleanly. Guess that's why the mph is so low for the ET.
    Is that a rolling start then? AS a spectator, all I saw was boats, sitting under a rope, dudes holding onto the rope, christmas tree comes down and boats immediately go WOT from a dig. What happens if one guy leaves earlier than the other? when I think of "rolling start" I think of Indycar or offshore boats (I've tuned quite a few offshore boats, they start their races "from a roll" planed off, etc.)

This is interesting, thanks for any info you can share!

Leave a comment:

• stmike
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr4Speed
    replied

Really wish I hadn't seen that - I'm so ####ing disgusted right now.

Leave a comment:

• nesabo
    replied

Was there a fire?!?! I hope the firetruck wasnt there just doing hot laps. :D

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Scott....check this freaking thing out!

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That was good.

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied

i heard it was galvanized and had a couple of paddles

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Weird. I've only been to boat drags here in the midwest, on the rivers and lakes. They're either 1/8 or 1000' - and they are started from a dead stop, usually with the drivers staging the boats by holding onto a rope stretched across the waterway.

I would like to hear as much as possible about stmike's boat though!!!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

You just admitted to keeping an import magazine.

Is anyone interested in being the other half of BangShift.com? I am looking for a new partner.

Hey! :D

You flip open a magazine at the airport and see a car getting chopped up and YOU try to not read the story. Hell, why do you think you guys carved up the 'Vette?!

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied

there are few 1000' races back east but here on the west coast we run 1/4 mile for everything but Top Fuel Hydros.
    Chad has the numbers right. Hopefully we run better next time out.
    mike, if you ever bump into a fellow boat racer named mike brady (he looks like paul tuttles sr.) tell'm one of his Caterpillar Students from Empire said Hi and im working for a CAT dealer in texas

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Is anyone interested in being the other half of BangShift.com? I am looking for a new partner.

Sure... ;D

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X