X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joe_rocket45
    replied
    Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

I've got a TPI that would be more in line with what you need... and you've got what I need!

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied

So here is what I have ...

Does anyone know if this intake can be redrilled to work with the early cylinder heads? I've heard of some places redrilling intakes to work w/vortec heads, but I know absolutely nothing about this thing ...

Leave a comment:

• Aircooled
    replied

Originally posted by Bamfster

On the turbo ... anything more expensive than almost free is too much. I'm leaning towards just a single as it will be cheaper. And one more rule, it can't be a kit ... this is low buck, make/build it in the garage.
    If you are going junkyard, then a single turbo is going to be tough. A junkyard turbo from a 3000 rpm, 7.3L diesel only pushes enough cfm to feed 4400 rpm on 5.0L gas engine.
    A pair of turbos from a 2.3L Ford or a 2.2L Chrysler would be a better match. Less common, by also a good start would be a pair of the turbos from a 280ZX or the single turbo 300ZX.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

The image upload has never worked. Gotta to the photobucket deal.

The upgrade we're eventually going to do (I PROMISE) will allow direct uploads.

Back on topic....

Leave a comment:

• joe_rocket45
    replied

TC, are you copying my motor to a T? or do great minds think alike!? at 5 lbs in my corvette I put a spanking on a vfr750

BTW the image upload is not working.....

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied

And you guys are sounding a lot like my going 10's for $2500 bucks idea.

My idea is getting a 78-80 Monte Carlo/Malibu, stipping the car down to its basics and dropping in a Vortec 350(hydraulic roller motor) lowend from a junkyard, drop a set of good aftermarket heads on it and using one of these turbo kits off ebay and a blow-thru carb.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    ramjet was open loop
    It won't be when I get done with it ....
    He means "Speed Density" - they actually came with a closed loop setup if you wanted to use it... I'm thinking there's no MAF but instead a MAP sensor.

Dude, if you have a ramjet intake lying around - case closed. Let's get it on!

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

You sound scarily similar to my 283 build. I'm leaning towards a single too, but it depends. I think a single is just as easy to plumb exhaust to, but some people say not. The advantage to twins is that I can get smaller turbos and stock BOV and wastegate stuff because it is only controlling one of the small turbos, not some big one. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    ramjet was open loop
    It won't be when I get done with it ....

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied

ramjet was open loop

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied

Well it just happens that I realized that I have a complete Ramjet 350 intake up at the shop ... manifold, injectors, fuel rails and MAF (?). I'm thinking this may be the answer ...

One question: do I need different heads or can the ramjet intake be redrilled to match the early heads?

On the turbo ... anything more expensive than almost free is too much. I'm leaning towards just a single as it will be cheaper. And one more rule, it can't be a kit ... this is low buck, make/build it in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• jleews6
    replied

I would just go with a single Masterpower 70 turbo. Twins are cool but just remember that you have to buy two turbos and twins create alot more heat. My friend has a Grand National street car with twin 88s on it and the underhood temps are crazy.
    As far as power? Ill bet that your 307 with a single 70 on it will make well over 300 to the tire and get real good MPG. Just think about a Buick 3.8 V6 NA makes about 140HP and I have seen them make well over 500 without touching the motor and take a look at those motors. There nothing special a. My T type went 12.0 and it was dead stock with just a couple little bolt ons.

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
    I'd think on a daily driver sizing is everything..
    to big.. boost comes on to late in the rpm for a mild build with low budget valvetrain
    to small.. great power off tip in of throttle at the cost of boost at cruise.. killing mph..
    as the boost make the small c.i.d. act bigger than it is.. and that requires more fuel..
    so, I'd think sizing will require knowing what rpm it will run at, at hyway cruise(mph)
    to have a balance of power and mpg.. untill you drop hammer.. then mpg goes out the window..
    Being the motor is a 307and he wants it to be a street car, I think a pair of T3/T4 hybrids would work real good.

Look on Ebay there are TONS of turbo kits for SBC's. Prices range from 1000-1500 bucks.

And took through the different kits, some have more pieces than the others and some come with an intercooler and some don't.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

What about an intake/injection setup from one of the ramjet 350 engines? Can it be made to work with a Mega Squirt controller?
    totally will work. now you're thinking!

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied

So let me throw this out there....

What about an intake/injection setup from one of the ramjet 350 engines? Can it be made to work with a Mega Squirt controller? Hmmmm .....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X