Bench Race this w/me ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Race this w/me ...

Boy that article on the cheap turbos in CC sure got the juices flowing! Here is what I've had rattling around in my head since I read it:

I have a 307 (yes 307) sbc that is the original #s matching engine for my camaro. It only has about 20k on it since it was rebuilt. I haven't torn into to actually see what kinda shape it's in, but it was running when it was taken out.

How about a down and dirty rebuild (dingle ball hone, rings and bearings) and a fresh set of 350 smog "hencho en mexico" heads. I'd use these since they're fresh, have hardened seats and the 1.88 intake valves. Intake will be a performer, but instead of a carb, one of the cheap tbi conversions ala DIY auto tune.

Now the here's the twist ... cheap twin turbo setup. Not necessarily the chinese ebay ones, but just a cheap twin setup. Boost will be kept low, I'm not looking for hero HP numbers ... 18-20 mpg is a goal and so is mid 14 second ETs. It's different for sure, and that's the main thing that I'm digging about it.

Heck, I may add A/C and cruise control and drive it around the world if it works out ....

Point out the flaws (other than the lack of CID). Talk me outta it, better yet, talk me into it! Is it possible to do it for under $2500 start to finish?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

From seeing your fab skills Id say its probly doable.Id say just going single would get you into the 14s rather easily at a lower cost than twins.Fun factor though says twins.Ive thought about doing something just so I can say to people"Check out the TWINS" ;D

Comment

That's where I'm lost ... what kind of HP difference between single and twin?....remember it's only 307 cid.

Comment

Twin turbo's are easier to plumb the exhaust with, so that is something to think about.......

Comment

We could learn alot of your mistakes..i say go for it ;D.Those 350 heads...2,02 intake valves?.Go for twins...as said,it should be easier to make the exhaust and things.

I have a 350 standing here,and a frame without body from a 76 Chevelle wagon...i should do this too...

Comment

The heads are the early 90s smoggers w/ 1.88 intakes. Not optimal but it's what I have (plus they're fresh) and they'll clear the bore on the 307.

Comment

an excellent use for 305 heads
              307s can be made to run , but boost or 125 shot on a fairly stock motor could be easier
              my buddys 283 cranks

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                an excellent use for 305 heads
                307s can be made to run , but boost or 125 shot on a fairly stock motor could be easier
                my buddys 283 cranks
                You know me Spidey ... I'm all about bangin' it with nitrous! But this is a turbo bench race session, just to say I did it. I could actually have the motor up n running by next week.

I guess more to the point, what turbos would work? Saab? Mitsu? Cummins? .... throw some ideas out there.

Hopefully Randal and Scott will chime in for the EFI part ....

Comment

I love the idea.... and once you feel how the Turbo makes power you be HOOKED.... they are truly incredible.... edible and keep the tire stores in business....

K

Comment

Dan, I'm not entirely sure on how compatible TBI's are with boost, because their low pressure fuel systems (~12psi), but say you add fuel pressure, I'm not sure how the internal regulator handles the boost. DG Scott probably has the answer, which I'm very interested in because my T-bird. The other cavieat is TBI's are kind of injector limited, unless you find an old projection 4bbl one, then you'd probably be good on fuel flow. I'm going to work on the t-birds electrical system today, hopefully I solve the noise issue so I can find out if I have enough injector flow for the engine. The other efi stuff is a walk in the park, watch some of Chad's thread too. Fine any multi-port fuel injection manifold for the engine and go that route and you know you won't have any real fueling issues.

I'm pretty sure Scott also told me twin turbo's vs. one single one is mostly for packaging or looks. I guess there are tricks and such that can be done to minimize lag in a single setup that keep the lag around the same level as the twin setup.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

is this possible engine combo going back into the camaro ?
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

the 307 with turbos... nice thought.

to keep sending it deep like oem,
                        I'd go holley blo through, keep distributor realtime crb.. I would not even change the cam.

not all of china is pedophiles killing babies.
                        What turbo is not asian? ???

IHI (?) versions are down to less than $250.. use engine oil and coolant..or whatever ingenuity does...still finding them in roaster four bangers after 20 years, still functioning, no errors.
                        saab, subaru, volvo, the turbo got monopoly.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

who owns all of those chinese restaraunts ?

Comment

sounds like a neat idea, I would like to do something like this
                            probly be a blow threw setup IF i ever did it.
                            Id say you would be putting out enough to run 13's
                            with any kind of twin set up, sound cool to me!!!! :D
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I like the "because I have it" aspect of this.

twin vs single I'm no help - I can imagine plumbing nightmares either way - it's all about taking time to think it out, mock it up and see what actually fits where, and keeping in mind the temperatures you're dealing with and the distance away from sensitive items that needs to be maintained.

I would LOVE to see someone do a whacko junkyard turbo set up with an olds block - like one of the ones that was converted to diesel - E85, turbo - uber strong stock bottom end - and see how far it can be pushed before the block is ventilated....
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X