Clear All

Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

run them in the back
    turbo sperts are saying this doesn't work , but hey ......IT'S A 307
    do ball bearing turbos need oil?

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
      is this possible engine combo going back into the camaro ?
      Yessir!...Daily Driver type stuff, good mpg and enough power to pull into the drag stip and not look like a chump.

Interesting on the TBI stuff Randal. Does the MS stuff control the injectors on a TBI? Maybe I would be better off just using a carb....but then I think about the 2jet that's on the 307. Jet performance does some neat things and has them flowing over 500 cfm. I could make the motor look stock!

I dug the cam I'll use out of the rafters .... 204/[email protected] 412/422 lift, should work nice in the smaller displacement.

I say kill the bottom end so it hardly slips a tire on the launch and have it pull like a freight train after the 330' mark ... watcha think?

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Yeah the MS controls the TBI injectors. The injector issue is, I think the largest TBI injectors you can get for a standard GM TBI is 95lb/hrs, or 190lb/hrs worth of fueling, where as 24lb/hr injectors are probably as low as you'd want to go with a multiport system and that is 192lb/hrs worth of fuel. I run 32lb/hrs in the Skylark's MPI, and I currently have 85lb/hr injectors in the T-bird for 170lb/hrs of fuel. Now the trick is to see how many lb/hr's of fuel it'll take to support your HP target, then select your method of fueling accordingly. I don't know about the TBI, but on the MPI you can turn up the fuel pressure to artificially raise the lb/hrs of fuel delievered, because I think they are all rated at ~43psi of fuel pressure, so cranking the psi up to 60 get's you more fuel. Again I'm not sure about the TBI, though I know there is an adjustment screw on the fuel pressure regulator.

At your elevation I'd have to go to EFI, simply because of the tune changes if you drive it off the hill you live on (like I do), or hell up that 11,200ft summit right next to where you live.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

tbi runs at 9-13 psi

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            I would LOVE to see someone do a whacko junkyard turbo set up with an olds block - like one of the ones that was converted to diesel - E85, turbo - uber strong stock bottom end - and see how far it can be pushed before the block is ventilated....
            Interesting that you say that- I am working toward a twin turbo Olds DX engine right now. I am currently just collecting parts- got pistons and the crank off ebay (some of the best aftermarket stuff dirt cheap!) Already have the block and all the external stuff, need the rods, turbos, etc. Planning on starting on it early next year. Won't be an inexpensive deal, though. I am shooting for 750 HP and making it live at that range.

Comment

that is a lot of power for that bottom end

Comment

Not really. The diesel blocks are much stronger than the gas blocks. The Nascar blocks are even stronger than the diesel block, but the diesel block can withstand 1000+ HP when fitted with 4 bolt mains. The moderator at www.realoldspower.com has a twin turbo Olds Nascar block that puts his dragster in the 6's in the quarter.

Comment

If one more person mentions that CC mag before I get mine, I;m gonna'.......(lol )
                  The thing about your small chevy heads is they will still out flow those 301 turbo ta heads (80-81)
                  I think the reason for 2 smaller turbos instead of one bigger one is that they will spool up quicker.(build boost)
                  Not going yo try to talk you out of it------- I'm an enabler

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                    Twin turbo's are easier to plumb the exhaust with, so that is something to think about.......
                    yeah - easy

Comment

Originally posted by RR
                      Not really. The diesel blocks are much stronger than the gas blocks. The Nascar blocks are even stronger than the diesel block, but the diesel block can withstand 1000+ HP when fitted with 4 bolt mains. The moderator at www.realoldspower.com has a twin turbo Olds Nascar block that puts his dragster in the 6's in the quarter.
                      nascar block ? junior johnson built one and never made it out of testing ,

hope the diesel block was stronger , 350 diesel has been gone for 26 years
                      all of those cool winston cup 442 in 78-80 had chevrolet power

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                        Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                        is this possible engine combo going back into the camaro ?
                        Yessir!...Daily Driver type stuff, good mpg and enough power to pull into the drag stip and not look like a chump.

Interesting on the TBI stuff Randal. Does the MS stuff control the injectors on a TBI? Maybe I would be better off just using a carb....but then I think about the 2jet that's on the 307. Jet performance does some neat things and has them flowing over 500 cfm. I could make the motor look stock!

I dug the cam I'll use out of the rafters .... 204/[email protected] 412/422 lift, should work nice in the smaller displacement.

I say kill the bottom end so it hardly slips a tire on the launch and have it pull like a freight train after the 330' mark ... watcha think?

that cam is perfect for a 307 it works good in 305 chevys too!
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

and my favorite customers and dealer I worked at was at king olds , but an olds is a q jet and torque to me
                          rest in peace olds

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            Originally posted by RR
                            nascar block ? junior johnson built one and never made it out of testing ,

hope the diesel block was stronger , 350 diesel has been gone for 26 years
                            all of those cool winston cup 442 in 78-80 had chevrolet power
                            Read thru this to find out a little more about the NASCAR block. I am not sure about the origins, just that these blocks were supposed to be for NASCAR use. If they actually made it to the track, I don't know. Plenty of the diesel blocks still around, even after 26 years.

Twin turbo SBO's have been done for years.

Adding twin turbos to a SBC- sure- see what happens!

Comment

scrap iron at 4 cents a lb ..maybe
                              the last olds diesel I worked on was the spring of 1992 ...have heard one around since

Comment

Dan, I will be watching this, :o I have been putting yet another motor together over the last 2 years, (I know I'm slow) a 383 4 bolt with flat tops, last week I got a set of RHS 220's 64cc bare heads for it. I still don't know where it will land, but with a inexpensive turbo it could be an easy 700+hp street bruiser. Heck I would like to fab my own intake for it too. : I need a good reason to get my own tig welder...

Keep us posted ;D
                                Living the dream!

Comment

Working...
                                X