Bench Race this w/me ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

I would just go with a single Masterpower 70 turbo. Twins are cool but just remember that you have to buy two turbos and twins create alot more heat. My friend has a Grand National street car with twin 88s on it and the underhood temps are crazy.
    As far as power? Ill bet that your 307 with a single 70 on it will make well over 300 to the tire and get real good MPG. Just think about a Buick 3.8 V6 NA makes about 140HP and I have seen them make well over 500 without touching the motor and take a look at those motors. There nothing special a. My T type went 12.0 and it was dead stock with just a couple little bolt ons.

Comment

Well it just happens that I realized that I have a complete Ramjet 350 intake up at the shop ... manifold, injectors, fuel rails and MAF (?). I'm thinking this may be the answer ...

One question: do I need different heads or can the ramjet intake be redrilled to match the early heads?

On the turbo ... anything more expensive than almost free is too much. I'm leaning towards just a single as it will be cheaper. And one more rule, it can't be a kit ... this is low buck, make/build it in the garage.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

ramjet was open loop

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          ramjet was open loop
          It won't be when I get done with it ....

Comment

You sound scarily similar to my 283 build. I'm leaning towards a single too, but it depends. I think a single is just as easy to plumb exhaust to, but some people say not. The advantage to twins is that I can get smaller turbos and stock BOV and wastegate stuff because it is only controlling one of the small turbos, not some big one. We'll see.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
              Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              ramjet was open loop
              It won't be when I get done with it ....
              He means "Speed Density" - they actually came with a closed loop setup if you wanted to use it... I'm thinking there's no MAF but instead a MAP sensor.

Dude, if you have a ramjet intake lying around - case closed. Let's get it on!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

And you guys are sounding a lot like my going 10's for $2500 bucks idea.

My idea is getting a 78-80 Monte Carlo/Malibu, stipping the car down to its basics and dropping in a Vortec 350(hydraulic roller motor) lowend from a junkyard, drop a set of good aftermarket heads on it and using one of these turbo kits off ebay and a blow-thru carb.

Comment

TC, are you copying my motor to a T? or do great minds think alike!? at 5 lbs in my corvette I put a spanking on a vfr750

BTW the image upload is not working.....

Comment

The image upload has never worked. Gotta to the photobucket deal.

The upgrade we're eventually going to do (I PROMISE) will allow direct uploads.

Back on topic....
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster

On the turbo ... anything more expensive than almost free is too much. I'm leaning towards just a single as it will be cheaper. And one more rule, it can't be a kit ... this is low buck, make/build it in the garage.
                      If you are going junkyard, then a single turbo is going to be tough. A junkyard turbo from a 3000 rpm, 7.3L diesel only pushes enough cfm to feed 4400 rpm on 5.0L gas engine.
                      A pair of turbos from a 2.3L Ford or a 2.2L Chrysler would be a better match. Less common, by also a good start would be a pair of the turbos from a 280ZX or the single turbo 300ZX.

Comment

So here is what I have ...

Does anyone know if this intake can be redrilled to work with the early cylinder heads? I've heard of some places redrilling intakes to work w/vortec heads, but I know absolutely nothing about this thing ...

Comment

I've got a TPI that would be more in line with what you need... and you've got what I need!

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
                            I've got a TPI that would be more in line with what you need... and you've got what I need!
                            Do tell more. I do like the idea of the TPI...but I'm still unsure exactly which direction I want to go with this ....

Comment

I have vortec style heads so I can't even use it but it came off my friends 91 z28, he said it wouldn't run right and thought the brain box was bad but i think it was b/c he put a decent sized roller cam and a set of dart heads on it... it was running before the changes. I don't know a lot about tuning EFI. He just put a dart intake and 750 on it. I thought about just getting a MS b/c they are really the hot ticket from what I hear.
                              Right now it's basically complete as far as I can tell, the harness looks like a rats nest though but being it is all there a guy could just use all the plugins and make his own harness for a MS, I think the injectors would work at the 300 Hp level too.
                              Might ask DG what he thinks? oh, it has a like new distributor with it and a junky looking msd.

Comment

I have a question: Will that Ram Jet intake fit under the hood of that camaro?
                                Originally posted by TC
                                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                                X