Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

Originally posted by A/Fuel
    I have a question: Will that Ram Jet intake fit under the hood of that camaro?
    It does have the cowl hood on it .... But IDK for sure. I really don't want to cut an original GM cowl hood so I could always add a fiberglass one ....

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
    I have vortec style heads so I can't even use it but it came off my friends 91 z28, he said it wouldn't run right and thought the brain box was bad but i think it was b/c he put a decent sized roller cam and a set of dart heads on it... it was running before the changes. I don't know a lot about tuning EFI. He just put a dart intake and 750 on it. I thought about just getting a MS b/c they are really the hot ticket from what I hear.
    Right now it's basically complete as far as I can tell, the harness looks like a rats nest though but being it is all there a guy could just use all the plugins and make his own harness for a MS, I think the injectors would work at the 300 Hp level too.
    Might ask DG what he thinks? oh, it has a like new distributor with it and a junky looking msd.
    You've peeked my interest ... Wonder if it is complete enough to get working in it's current state? It would give me a baseline and time to build the MS2 ...
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I think it's mostly complete besides bolts and gaskets, if i had a list of what all was needed I could run down it.

Comment

The RamJet setup will be better than the TPI setup..........

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
          OK, but why? By just looking at the two setups, they look the same to me insomuch as there are eight injectors and a mass airflow sensor...granted the plenum volume is different, but still mostly the same.....

The TPI will bolt directly to my heads ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
            OK, but why? By just looking at the two setups, they look the same to me insomuch as there are eight injectors and a mass airflow sensor...granted the plenum volume is different, but still mostly the same.....

The TPI will bolt directly to my heads ...
            And probably fit better under the hood, plus at 300hp I doubt it would make that much difference.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

why?
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

better ports..
                less gaskets to fail..
                and will not be the bottleneck..
                cause u know.. how it is with hp..
                some is good(for awhile)
                more is better, and to much is just right..
                and if he blows this 307 to bits and builds the 350
                it work better all around..
                I know.. in this case your forcing the air through it..BUT.. boost is just a measurement of a restruction..
                and that tpi is a big one

Comment

dan,

here is my 02...

3.8l Gn turbos...forget the TBI..KISS method is the best...single plane (think Proff products) and a 650 .get an aeromtive regulator and a real fuel pump...more than enuff for the 307..

go to Vibrantperformance.com for flanges and other fab stuff..great guys and their stuff is very affordable..

al

nosnerd

"IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    why?
                    Stock TPI setups are know to be garbage, why do you thing AZ Speed and Marine and others made bigger runners for them. They are a low end/midrange manifold. Really not that good above 5000 rpm.

And all I'm saying is if I had to pick between the two for a turbo application I would take the Ram Jet over the TPI.

Comment

why?
                      Stock TPI setups are know to be garbage, why do you thing AZ Speed and Marine and others made bigger runners for them. They are a low end/midrange manifold. Really not that good above 5000 rpm.
                      so, you describe an almost perfect street combo that can make a ton of torque. What would a turbo add to that? tons more torque - while maintaining low RPM / load efficiency. I don't see a reason to care what RPM he's making the power in this case. Turbocharging is only going to broaden/increase the powerband that's there. In other words, I don't think the difference between them is important based on his request.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by nosnerd
                        dan,

here is my 02...

3.8l Gn turbos...forget the TBI..KISS method is the best...single plane (think Proff products) and a 650 .get an aeromtive regulator and a real fuel pump...more than enuff for the 307..

go to Vibrantperformance.com for flanges and other fab stuff..great guys and their stuff is very affordable..

al

nosnerd

I hear you on simplicity, and I could just turbo the 350 that's in there now, but the mpg would still be terrible. The goal is respectable mileage and decent performance. Mid to low 14 second ET's are more than adequate as Momma doesn't like to mess up her hair with a helmet. I'd like to be able to drive this thing say out to Topeka and get mpg #'s somewhere in the mid 20's at least.

why?

And all I'm saying is if I had to pick between the two for a turbo application I would take the Ram Jet over the TPI.
                        Don't think I'd want much more than 5500 rpm anyway, the high rpm is what kills engines .....

Comment

don't forget: converter, trans and gears are probably bigger factors of your fuel economy than the engine. Turbo cam will save you fuel at cruise RPM/loads however.

Comment

why?
                            so, you describe an almost perfect street combo that can make a ton of torque. What would a turbo add to that? tons more torque - while maintaining low RPM / load efficiency. I don't see a reason to care what RPM he's making the power in this case. Turbocharging is only going to broaden/increase the powerband that's there. In other words, I don't think the difference between them is important based on his request.
                            If he is going to run that motor above 5000rpm, which most likely he will, he will benefit from the RamJet manifold more than he will with the TPI setup.

Remember the air flow characteristics of the intake ports are the same weather Boosted or Naturally Aspirated. It's all about flow and a TPI manifold isn't the best flowing manifold around. Plus you have to take the whole god damn thing apart to get to the regulator and injectors. Basically just a pain in the ass. And if they are so great, why isn't GM still using them??

Again this gets into optimizing the parts of the motor to work with each other.

Comment

don't forget: converter, trans and gears are probably bigger factors of your fuel economy than the engine. Turbo cam will save you fuel at cruise RPM/loads however.
                              700R4 w/ stock converter, 3.73 gears. The cam I have is an Edelbrock performer ....

I'm thinking that can in a 307 will be outta steam by 5K anyway

Comment

Dan read this article if you serious about the TPI, it has some good info.

Comment

Working...
                                X