Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
    My main concern is with the cost of injectors, which is something to keep in mind if you're going to be shooting for more than 350-400 HP b/c I think that's about where the stock injectors fall off?
    There are a few OEM injectors that make 32lb/hr, which is what I run and I "should" be over 400Hp. Namely the supercharged Buick's and Pontiac's (yes I see them regularly at the junkyard, I even have a set of injectors, but decided to go with new). The other option is, if you get more common 19-24lb/hr injectors is to turn up the fuel pressure from 42.3psi to ~60psi to raise their flow rating. Of course then you need the adjustable fuel pressure regulator at that point instead of a stock deal.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

As mentioned before, a pair of T3's from a Ford Turbocoupe would more than meet your goals. A single from a Dodge Cummins truck= HX35 or H1C would work also. Or one from a Ford Powerstroke. These will probably be the most available used.

Use whatever you have for an intake. It won't much matter for your stated goals. If you have options pick the one that will give the best fuel mileage. Getting onto the 14's will be the easiest part of this.

I have done something similar to your goal now. Built a twin turbo Mustang 302 just to learn on. All junkyard stuff and on the cheap. It runs mid 12's at 113mph with a spinning 2.XX 60' time on 10psi. It gets 15mpg with a C4 and 3.00 gears getting the snot beat out of it all the time.

It is not a drag car, it is not pretty, it is not optimized. It is a hooligan car.

Comment

Sean, you have just invented my favorite new phrase "Hooligan car"

For the record...I'm stealing that
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
          Since you are wanting better mpg and only 14 second timeslips, couldnt you just EFI the 350 and make your goal of better than 20 mpg? Seems like the turbos will well surpass your goal even on a mostly stock motor. A stock Iroc camaro would run in the 14's and get mid 20's on the freeway, right? Just askin'.
          Maybe at sea level ...

Then, like everyone is finally figuring out, it's just something I want to do to say I can do it. Learn new stuff (fuel injection and turbos) and turn this car into a nice air conditioned cross country cruiser.

I got a response from Matt Cramer ... he actually suggested the RamJet as the better fit. My only concern is redrilling the intake to fit the early heads.....

Some of you may be thinking why is trying to do that to that car? Let me just say, it's not going to be a "hack job", just low buck/no buck .... parts I have on hand, inexpensive efi controller and a junkyard turbo or two. Just looking for another way to have fun with the car and make it more pleasurable to drive.

If I do end up in the 400 - 450 HP range, I can always tune it back a touch right? But I just don't see that at this altitude with a 307 ...
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
            But I just don't see that at this altitude with a 307 ...
            What exactly is so bad about the 307?

I always hear the magazine guys saying "YOU NEED TO MAXIMIZE CUBIC INCHES!" - I am beginning to wonder if that's the only gripe people have against 305s, 307s, 283s, etc.

I know guys with 180 inch engines making 700+ at the wheels on pump gas, cruising around with A/C, the works. I wouldn't be so quick to judge the 307, especially if this is your first turbo setup. all you need is 2hp/cube and you have 600 flywheel hp, this car might likely be faster than your race car - on accident.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I don't have a race car Scott .... THE CHEVELLE IS A STREET CAR DAMMIT!...LOL

You are probably right though, I'm just so used to the bad air up here. Personally, I think the 307 is a rock solid engine, it's more of the "I don't know alot about this stuff" mentality with me. I guess it would be fair to say that I wouldn't be disappointed if it did make 4-500 HP and still met the mileage and reliability goals I want. But Momma can't have a car faster than mine!

Comment

Beags, I have a fresh set of chevy "hencho en mexico" heads, and the summit version of the cam you posted. Heads are 1.94/1.50 with the generic "Z28" springs. If I could find a set of fresh vortecs for next to nothing or a trade for what I have, I'd do it in a heartbeat as that'd make the intake decision a no brainer.

And of course I'll turn it down .... when she drives it!

Comment

Dan, the 305 Vortec heads can be had at the junkyards around here for short money. Not sure about your location though. Just something to think about.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

'...give it a long gear and let it pull....'

Very well said,beagle

Go with the gn turbos,this thing will make more hp/tq than you will need...

get a single plane with an elbow and use a 70tb from a mustang,epoxy some bungs,possibly use a tpi rail and jy 36 pounders.
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

• Re: Bench Race this w/me ...

If I do end up in the 400 - 450 HP range, I can always tune it back a touch right? But I just don't see that at this altitude with a 307 ...
                      You are thinking NA. Altitude isn't that big of a deal with turbos.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        Sean, you have just invented my favorite new phrase "Hooligan car"

For the record...I'm stealing that
                        Wish I could say it was mine. Hooligan is a term applied to bikes that are set-up for being a jackass on the road for the most part. Not sport bikes so much. Think wheelies, slides through corners, stoppies and all around good trouble.

My car makes me want to act like a hooligan when driving it. So the term seems to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by seanm

You are thinking NA. Altitude isn't that big of a deal with turbos.
                          That was in response to the TPI IROC camaros running 14s ... not up here

Comment

Working...
                          X