No announcement yet.

1968 Cougar Fastback -- in progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Cougar Fastback -- in progress...

If any of you read Popular Hot Rodding mag and read last month's issue, well..... You may remember a pic and rendering of this car. There were actually two renderings made for this car and Pop Hot Rod only published the Red Car...You should see the rendering for the Blue Car...Eliminator type stripe with the wing that's on this car now. Also the Blue rendering had the hood that is shown below... The rendering had it done up in a deep ford type blue with a black stripe over the hood bulge and twin hood scoop/nostrils...Bad to the bone dudes... fur shur...totally awsome and chioce man! Excellent! ...uh....oh........sorry........ anyway....where was I?

Oh Yeah... So It says in that there article that this cool ride in progress was located in Seven Mile Ohio, by some folks named Owen and Sons. Now the sprawling megopolis of Seven Mile (pop. 200) is only a few miles from the house and I had just finished buttoning up the repairs to my ride, ($1200 vaccum leak :'() and I was looking for a nice drive to test out the car (which drove really well. ).

I threw Owen and Sons Seven Mile Ohio into Google and Lo and Behold, there was a welding shop with that name...Called the number and a really nice fella named Kieth told me to stop by any time and take a look see. Told me I could take any pics I wanted... well hell now....... twist the key and Go...........

Owen and Sons is a small business centered on a fairly large garage building and numerous out buildings filled with what look to be older machine tools that get used allot. There was a custom pickup in the driveway with a killer paintjob, a mid 80's Thunderbird being done up period style with fender flares...(I wanna pinstripe that car!) A 78 trans am , and a couple other really interesting projects I didn't have time to check out. Kieth seemed to be the one to talk to when came to info on this Coutang, or is it a Mustgar?.... No. Its a Cougar Fastback.

Oh ...the Square tube thing to the left of the front fender is the Kieth fabbed front subframe.... ;)

I Managed to show up when the car was disassembled, of course, ... but that's to be expected eh,?
    If you look close in the Pop Hot Rod pic, you'll see some rust in that back quarter. Well, that's gone and I really like the way Kieth did the metal work for the repair. (sorry for the fuzzy pic :-[) The stock gas tank is being retained, the leaf springs eliminated in favor of a 4 link and a cust square tube box frame encasing the stock tank. The car is mini-tubbed using the stock inner wheel wells. Although any wheel well that can hold a 13" wide rim, is far from "mini" in my book!

My camera had an issue with its memory card and managed to 'forget' a dozen or so images, including some detail shots of the trunk lid seal channel and how Kieth managed to split the stock Cougar trunk lid and graft the front half of the Mustang lid to it. The Mustang lid is 2" wider that the Cougar so he simply widened the Cougar opening and the metal work done there was pretty neat.

Kieth said that this car was found in a field in Hamilton Ohio, and the weeds were so tall that as he drove by it, all he could see was the roof!... This car is really solid for an Ohio car. I was imperessed. You can't get replacement panels for Cougars, so I'm told. That's alright though Kieth had been saving parts for years to pull off this build. I can't wait to see it in paint, hopefully next summer. Maybe it'll be at the big-time Springboro Car Show ;D

Or SEMA? seriously....this is a great concept. Thanks to Kieth at Owen and Sons for sharing his project with me.
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Re: 1968 Cougar Fastback -- in progress...

As i have written before..love it ;).And the reason i asked about this could have been built on a mustang,and then used Cougar quarters-doors-front end...the cougar have 3 inches longer wheelbase,and grafting on that roof..i guess he hided those 3 inches in the decklid.. :P

Comment

some good old fashioned kustomizing

Comment

Yeah no quarters, fenders, doors, hoods, or patches for Cougars. Its either fab it or hack it off something else. Floors are easy, the longer wheelbase come in under the rear seat so the Mustang pieces will work. It looks like he added the extra length in the trunk lid, and man it looks to be a nice job of grafting both pieces together, nothing I would want to try.

I am kinda torn about turning a Cougar into a fastback, I like them how they are, but this looks like it'll be a nice ride when it is done. After gutting mine then fixing all the dents and minor rust, I do not envy these guys at all. I find it easier to work on GTOs and Firebirds than Mustangs and Cougars, at least as far as body work goes. I often wonder why Ford didnt make Cougars with the sports roof, it wasnt because they were cheaper than the Mustangs thats for sure.

One of the guys I know up here has a 68 he turned into a ragtop with Mustang parts, it came out very nice. I left mine as is, except I ditched the vinyl on the roof, I am not very fond of heavy pitting on that large or a panel.

Comment

Next phantom project on a Cougar,should be a wagon ;D.2 door sporty wagon built on a Cougar,should actually have been built by merc when they where new..roof section could come from a Fairlane wagon..

Comment

Working...
          X