Should I collect today's magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I collect today's magazines?

I love and collect lots of 60's magazines. It's my favorite era of drag racing, hot rods, and customs. So, is there any reason to collect current magazines? Seems the only ones I really enjoy have 60's content, which seems redundant of what I already collect. Whadda ya think?
    STUGOTS

Re: Should I collect today's magazines?

You mean quit collecting?..How?.. ;D

Comment

It seems like you kept the ones that have meaning to you. That era of your youth and great memories. I suggest you continue that thinking towards the new mags. If thjere is something in there that hits you and some meaning keep it. If not, don't keep it.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The kids that are 10-15 years old now-- they will collect today's magazines when they are old and attempting to re-create their pasts.

Who will archive all the great content on the web today for the grandkids of 2050? Hmmm.... a possible opportunity...
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

if not for yourself, then for your kids or grandchildren. someone will def. appreciate it even if they don't get found until an estate sale ;)
          "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Like you Groucho...........I've got lots of mags
            from the '50's & '60's but I keep all my current stuff.

Figure somebody might use/read them someday.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

AAAWWWW yes the common quandary.....should I or should I not keep this ( or that or the other thing.)? I have narrowed down the number of magazines I get on a regular basis and I do keep them. I also keep the other mags that I buy because of an article that applies to my interests. The only question left is where do I put them all? That's the tough part for me. Yep, you should collect today's magazines not just for yourself, but for those that will come later.

Comment

I have been reading CC.HR.PHR, since 76 and others here and there others but somewhere around 88 while way low on cash I got a little depressed with no budget for hot rodding I pitched most of them. And really at this point I don't care. I collect too much stuff. I got 1/8 muscle cars.Hot Wheels,Coke stuff and CC and HR and 4 wheel and Offroad DF as editor. Anything that is relevent to the hobby will be covered every 2 yrs at the most.I generally don't pitch any mags I find new care takers.

Comment

i keep the ones that have a story or article i like and could use... problem is so fart that invalves all of them :D

Comment

I say read them, toss most of them, but keep the ones you really like. Because even the really cool, old rare mags are available on ebay. So let some one else sit upon those dusty old piles of carefully preserved magazines for the next 30 years. Then buy the ones you really want from their estate in 2040 for about $3.00 each.

Comment

If only I could convince the wife that they are not a waste of space.... I only have a few hundred right now (going back to the early 90's - with a few from the 80's mixed in) I seem to go through the pile every couple of years and thin the herd, but it's painful ;) I keep telling her our son (or maybe even my baby girl) will want to read every one of them at some point, but she doesn't seem to understand >

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
                        If only I could convince the wife that they are not a waste of space.... I only have a few hundred right now (going back to the early 90's - with a few from the 80's mixed in) I seem to go through the pile every couple of years and thin the herd, but it's painful ;) I keep telling her our son (or maybe even my baby girl) will want to read every one of them at some point, but she doesn't seem to understand >
                        x2

if i'm ever unemployed I'll scan all of them to cd's or dvd's
                        hopefully ^^^^^^^ never happens, better would be a winning lotto #

Comment

Originally posted by hoosiergta
                          I have been reading CC.HR.PHR, since 76 and others here and there others but somewhere around 88 while way low on cash I got a little depressed with no budget for hot rodding I pitched most of them.
                          same with me, the dates are almost exact too, I gave mine to my brother although I kept all the CC ones. started collecting again about 12 yrs ago
                          "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I have a couple of boxes full in the garage, HR, CHP, CC and some PHR.
                            About every ten years I toss the lot, no one in Spain wants them.
                            The only ones I wish I never tossed were Super Stock & Drag Illustrated.
                            I tend to read a years issues over the year, going back and forth but once
                            they are commited to the garage I hardly ever go back to them.

Comment

If you have the good ones from the 60's, why bother with today's ?

Comment

Working...
                              X