Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yunick's Hot Vapor Engine in the new Hot Rod, a must read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yunick's Hot Vapor Engine in the new Hot Rod, a must read!

The new issue out has a great story on Henry's Hot Vapor mill, a topic that has came up here a couple of times.

What a great story done by Marlin Davis and the staff at HR!
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Re: Yunick's Hot Vapor Engine in the new Hot Rod, a must read!

OOOOHHHH! Been looking for info on that! Hell yeah that is cool. Something I have been working on in my spare time, ok the spare spare time that is between the other spare times I have. The project on this end is hydrous ethanol with no gasoline in a high compression engine. Swapping the heads sometime this week to get 12:1 from it. I cant wait to find out more about what Smokey did...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
      OOOOHHHH! Been looking for info on that! Hell yeah that is cool. Something I have been working on in my spare time, ok the spare spare time that is between the other spare times I have. The project on this end is hydrous ethanol with no gasoline in a high compression engine. Swapping the heads sometime this week to get 12:1 from it. I cant wait to find out more about what Smokey did...
      OK, we need a thread on this one.

Comment

When I get going on it more trust me there will be a thread... Not keeping it to myself, pass or fail you guys will know whats up with it.

Comment

coolest guy who ever lived

Comment

My brother lived in Daytona for 20 yrs, and he knew Smokey's son who raced a late model type car at Volusia if'n I remember rite.... He took me over to his shop several times when I went down to visit. I always tried to meet the old man, but the closest I got was getting his son to get his autograph on his Engine Secrets book and that is probably my most prized piece of memorabilia....The guy was a genius fur shur.

Isn't there also a theory that he investigated where if you spin an internal combustion engine up to around 70,000 rpm, the burn cycle changes from hydrogen to the carbon cycle and ya get a cold running-water outta the tailpipe super efficient engine? hmmmm? anybody?
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I was also fascinated by his compound tires Goodyear made for him on that Fiero. It's a shame how much was in his head and went to his grave with him. His family could've been set forever.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

They made out more than OK.

Ol' Smoke made a shit ton of money in his day. All the work he did for GM, Ford, Champion, and other companies wasn't for free.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  I was also fascinated by his compound tires Goodyear made for him on that Fiero. It's a shame how much was in his head and went to his grave with him. His family could've been set forever.
                  I was fascinated with that part of the story too. 100k mile tires with ZERO road noise?? It would be nice if someone could copy that formula and start making some of those tires for the general public.........

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                    The article did give a few clues, but it sounds like if the engine wasn't an elaborate hoax, there's a major component of what Smokey did that's been missing from every published account of the engine I've seen. They claim that the air is heated to 450 degrees, just a few degrees below gasoline's autoignition point. I'd guess the secret might be one of the following:

1. The air isn't compressed very much in the cylinder. The engine may be a Miller cycle or two stroke.
                    2. The mixture is so lean it won't light off at all except at extremely high temperature and pressure.

If the thing isn't a complete hoax.

Comment

I don't argue that he was a badass, but I think the difference between smokey and his competitors was that he understood marketing - just like michael jackson figured out the paparazzi.

Get the people all hyped up about something that' wildly over-exaggerated, and suddenly something that's feasible becomes "The Most Amazing Mystery In The World"

As for the Vapor engine, my opinion is that it's the pinnacle of marketing horsecrap and the lowpoint in smokey's engineering career. It's bogus IMO.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Only if the HP and milage figures were complete lies. Were they?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                          I don't argue that he was a badass, but I think the difference between smokey and his competitors was that he understood marketing - just like michael jackson figured out the paparazzi.

Get the people all hyped up about something that' wildly over-exaggerated, and suddenly something that's feasible becomes "The Most Amazing Mystery In The World"

As for the Vapor engine, my opinion is that it's the pinnacle of marketing horsecrap and the lowpoint in smokey's engineering career. It's bogus IMO.
                          Or maybe it's real...... ;)

Comment

The 450F is the reason why I plan to use ethanol, it has a boiling point of 173F so I can get it to vaporize by using the cooling jacket to heat the fuel to around 200F and raising the fuel pressure to avoid vapor lock. There is more to the ethanol thing but I wont get into it here.

He wasnt using the pump gasoline we have today, the gasoline he had was very different in its makeup and properties so he very well could have achieved what he said he did. Doing it with todays gas will probably be impossible, all you will get is ping and death rattles if you can somehow manage to avoid vapor lock, not to mention heat it efficiently to 450F. Perhaps with C16 it could be done or another type of race gas, but not with 87 to 93 octane pump gas.

One thing I want to find out is if/how the 15% gasoline in E85 affects using heat this way to get better mileage and power. I know it works with hydrous ethanol, but so far I dont know of anyone who has tried it with E85.

I still havent gotten my issue, maybe I should go check the mail since it is probably there. I have heard about what Smokey did, but never gotten my hands on anything in depth on it. That and I need to get the heads swapped on the GTO...

* I see he did it in the 80s not the 60s like I had read before... so maybe it would work with the pump gas, still reading..

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

Or maybe it's real...... ;)

Awesome!!

Check this out too, I just discovered that President Bush decends from a bloodline of shape shifting aliens!! http://www.davidicke.com/ ;)
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X