Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yunick's Hot Vapor Engine in the new Hot Rod, a must read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yunick's Hot Vapor Engine in the new Hot Rod, a must read!

Here's what I DO know:
    The OEM's are investing millions (maybe even billions) on adiabatic engine technology, and have been for many years. So there's SOMETHING to the concept. I have no clue if Smokey made it work or not.

Also, I suspect that one of the big problems is NoX production. NoX is the result of temp and time ((the period of time the ignited mixtures spends in the combustion chamber), and pressure. Increase any of the above and NoX formation increases. Seems like this engine would be a NoX generator and NoX if tough to control and to treat out of the exhaust stream (hence, EGR). So I'm thinking this is a big issue for this technology but I haven't seen any actual emissions values from this system.

All that said, Smokey was one smart dude and I'll wager that he DID get the car to run and it may have achieved some or many of the stated claims. Does that equate to a viable production engine - maybe or maybe not.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      coolest guy who ever lived
      It is a tie between Smokey Yunick and Mickey Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
        Only if the HP and milage figures were complete lies. Were they?
        It would hardly be the first gizmo on the market with complete lies for hp and mileage. eBay's flooded with such things.

I'd put the odds at about 2/3 that the thing was a complete hoax, and 1/3 that the real secret to the engine is something other than vaporizing the fuel. My latest guess, one that would be consistent with the high EGTs and the pre-heating the air making it more efficient rather than less, is that if it was real, it may have been a Brayton cycle engine using the turbo for compression and the piston engine strictly as the expansion stage.

Comment

2 cyl -200 hp
          circle track magazine did a profile on smokey ....he was driving some lame ass 79 fiesta , in the photo with his great dane , deputy dawg riding shotgun , they didn't tell you the fiesta was running the two cylinder hot vapor cycle motor

Comment

[/quote]

It would hardly be the first gizmo on the market with complete lies for hp and mileage. eBay's flooded with such things.

[/quote]

Toyota's been doing it for years

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob

[/quote]

Toyota's been doing it for years
              [/quote]

'ya BA BY

Comment

toyota-booey xerox's all the innovative , fun car features five years after they are perfected in other vehicles
                lexus showed off it's slick new heads up display a full 22 years after GM showed up with HUD in the 88 cutlass supreme indy pace car

Comment

lexus showed off it's slick new heads up display a full 22 years after GM showed up with HUD in the 88 cutlass supreme indy pace car
                  Yeah, and Nintendo released the Wii about 30 years after Texas Instruments released the Speak and Spell....hosers!
                  :D
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

toyota-booey xerox's all the innovative , fun car features five years after they are perfected in other vehicles
                    Actually I got a real good laugh when I went to work at the Ford Dealership in 2001, and someone traded in a Corvette, and the dealership's owner's son and a few salesmen were all "Wow'd" by the heads up display in it. I laughed at them saying I saw that all the time at the Pontiac Dealership I worked in before in the Bonneville's (and one regular customer's ~89 Grand Prix). They were blown away :D
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                    X