toyota infringes patent, and loses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyota infringes patent, and loses

Alex Severinsky, a Soviet emigrant who began his career developing antitank-warfare instrumentation, patented a system for powering gas-electric hybrids in 1994. Toyota used his system for the Prius without permission or payment. Until this week.

I think this is interesting because of what, not the who is involved in the case. It's hard to imagine, but even back in the day - Edison and Tesla fought over this very issue of who invented what... and most important, who got to the patent office first.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: toyota infringes patent, and loses

Does this mean Toyota is big, bad, and evil?

All it tells me is, someone at Toyota didn't do enough searching to make sure that an idea they developed, hadn't already been "thunk up" by a patent squatter.

From an engineering perspective, we've let patents get WAAAAY out of control. There's pretty much a patent for ANY idea that anyone comes up with anymore.

What's funny is, the tech used in Toyota's hybrids - series hybrid powertrain control - is the same as in all the other cars out there. The only reason this guy sicked them is becase they sell the most hybrids and will have the deepest pockets. Kudos to him for slipping and falling on the correct sidewalk I guess.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the business model of the empire of japan

Comment

yeah, but that was tesla's own blasted fault.... his heirs are quite rich, however. I've seriously considered buying patents then doing nothing but collect on infringements..... it's a good business model for some attorneys.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
          yeah, but that was tesla's own blasted fault.... his heirs are quite rich, however. I've seriously considered buying patents then doing nothing but collect on infringements..... it's a good business model for some attorneys.

you seem to have higher ethics than to do that! kudos for that, for sure. Now, back to that damn 6.2 diesel!!! I am following your thread but I am out of fingernails to bite!
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've got the patent for
            a DVD re winder

Just wait till someones infringes on that
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
              Tesla was a brilliant inventor and thinker and horrible horrible buisnessman, plain and simple. His biography was one of the best books I ever read. Incredible stuff considering the era.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

No matter who wins the patent suits, the lawyers always win

I really doubt Toyota accidentally overlooked the patent....

I once sold an old computer to a law office, they wanted it as prior art to defend their client in a patent case, against a company that does nothing but buy the rights to patents, and find big companies to sue.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                  I've got the patent for
                  a DVD re winder

Just wait till someones infringes on that
                  so your the one that beat my teacher lol he was going to sell them as joke gifts

Comment

Working...
                  X