Idea, notch-back mustang road racer/auto crosser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea, notch-back mustang road racer/auto crosser

Here is the deal, I really want to do a road race/track day/auto cross car next... Long term plan. Thowing some ideas around in my head.

Problem is, I don't typically like typical cars, but the reality of it that building a mopar or an AMC track day/road race car is just to damn expensive. Hell, it would be a full time job finding parts in the event of a wreck. The point of the sport is driving the car, not searching for parts. There is a reason most guys use mustangs, vettes, or Camaros for this.

Lately I've had a thing for the old Terlingua mustangs.

I was looking at the SVRA rule book and checking eBay for good donor cars, what are your thoughts on the cost of building a 1968/70 notch-back Mustang chassis and a new boss 302 ford block as the basis for the power plant.
    The SVRA rules seem to eliminate the ?trick? parts and seem to keep it pretty basic.
    http://www.svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.ns...df?OpenElement

A good shell seems relatively available and cheep? A Cougar would be cooler, but more expensive.
    With something like this I could do track days, svra events, auto-crosses, etc.
    Could a guy do a car like this for 15 to 20 grand in parts??

Re: Idea, notch-back mustang road racer/auto crosser

Be very careful dealing with any of the vintage racing folks. I would make certain to get written approvals on anything I was to build.

15k to 20k will get you on the track, it probably won't make you competitive. Mustangs are known quantities with some very good vendors available.

Are you doing track days now? Do you have a competition license? Why not just build something up over time, doing track days and time trials?

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
      Be very careful dealing with any of the vintage racing folks. I would make certain to get written approvals on anything I was to build.
      X2. As much looking-into-it as I've done (researching Pike's Peak), they get some weird things going. All for a reason, I'm sure...but being fresh at it, it can seem a little odd. Maybe the rules are oriented for actual old race cars with history, with enough room around them to help fill the field on race day I guess.

A guy I know built this in the last few years, for racing.

I don't know how they've done with it, I don't see him often. The same kid owns a real '68 Shelby that was also modded somewhat for road racing back in the day but doesn't conform to any rule set. They though this would be a better/cheaper way to get on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower

15k to 20k will get you on the track, it probably won't make you competitive. Mustangs are known quantities with some very good vendors available.

Are you doing track days now? Do you have a competition license? Why not just build something up over time, doing track days and time trials?
        Thanks for responding, I very much appreciate your opinion on stuff like this. I only have experience in racing stuff with two wheels so there is a BUNCH to learn.

"Written Approval", wow :-\

I have some coworkers that run in the SCCA and SVRA, those guys will be a valuable resource if I get this thing going. The politics of the SCCA and every other sanctioning body always seems like a total pain in the a$$, even when I was roadracing motorcycles in the CCS there was some of that. These sorts of organizations seem to thrive in spite of themselves.

Here is the deal, My Javelin is a street car and will remain as such, I plan to do some auto cross stuff and some of the muscle car track events that have been going on, but in order to really hammer some corners without worry of a scratch or a dent a different car is in order.

At this point I'm starting at zero, no car and no competition license. I like the older stuff and find I don?t get excited about driving a 3-series BMW, Miata, or a fox body mustang as I would an old mustang or Camaro. I have heard you comments about the durability of the Miata and that is bouncing around in my empty head as something to seriously consider too.
        Building something over time is sort of the plan here, get a decent shell and start fabricating based on the rule book for the planned class and working with the tech guys from the sanctioning body from day 1.

Comment

You could build a cobra out of a kit from Factory Five. If I had $15-20k to spend on a road racer, that would be the way I would go. Ideas have been tossed around on this forum about buying or building your racer. I think it would be WAY too expensive to get the kind of car you're wanting for the price you are willing to pay. The cobra kit is $20k sans drivetrain,wheels/tires, and paint. However, it is not very difficult to find used kits (sold by someone who didn't want/ have funds to finish it) for under 10 grand. Just my opinion.

Comment

terlingua racing team was shelby

throw amc power at it ....dare to be different

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              terlingua racing team was shelby

throw amc power at it ....dare to be different
              As cool as that is, he mentioned that he wanted to be able to find parts easily. Finding AMC parts can get difficult. That is a sweet idea tho

Comment

D to B D ............

Comment

Working...
                X