• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Re: I need some quick ideas

Originally posted by A/Fuel
    Nevermind my lack my lack of parenting skills at the moment....
    But I have been roped into a egg drop....They are going to drop eggs that are in a 6"x 6"x6" box, and I guess increase the hight each time untill they have a winner.
    Shreaded news paper didn't work....and I'm sitting here eating the left over popcorn from another failed attempt.
    I just re-read the instructions again and it says parachutes are ok....so I'm going to give that a try...
    Anyone have any ideas as what I can stuff in the box or how I can wrap an egg in so it will survive?
    Stiney is dead on. We did a little better in our similar HS competition by using layers of increasing density foam. Softest stuff closest to the egg. Hardest stuff on the bottom. We used a small chute to keep the box oriented properly - our egg wasn't "dead center" but at the very top of the box so there was more distance for the foam to do it's thing, slowing down the egg over a greater distance.

hint: egg orientation is important too, I forget which direction was best, I think having the pointy end upwards? test that to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Re: I need some quick ideas

Carve a close-fitting cavity in a block of foam rubber. Think like a car crash, you want to stop the "secondary collision" from occuring.

Worked for our team back in high school physics!

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    started a topic I need some quick ideas

I need some quick ideas

Nevermind my lack my lack of parenting skills at the moment....
    But I have been roped into a egg drop....They are going to drop eggs that are in a 6"x 6"x6" box, and I guess increase the hight each time untill they have a winner.
    Shreaded news paper didn't work....and I'm sitting here eating the left over popcorn from another failed attempt.
    I just re-read the instructions again and it says parachutes are ok....so I'm going to give that a try...
    Anyone have any ideas as what I can stuff in the box or how I can wrap an egg in so it will survive?
Working...
X