Car Museums Worth A Detour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Museums Worth A Detour

Was at Cadillac Ranch last week.....been to Indy twice.

Surprised Floyd Garrett's and Don Garlits aren't listed.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Re: Car Museums Worth A Detour

I lucked out when floyd had his smokey chevelle and junior johnson mystery motor impala at richard childress racing in 1993

Comment

Very cool museums listed - I need to add several to my list. They didn't mention one of my favorites - the Auburn Cord Deusenberg (ACD) in Auburn, Indiana. It's in the original Auburn engineering/corporate office building and would be worth the price of admission if the building was empty - beautiful Art Deco palace. But - the place definitely IS NOT empty! Beautiful displays including many cars on loan from ACD club members. Just spectacular.

I also have to find time to actually STOP at the Garlits museum. I've driven past it repeatedly as I've gone to Clearwater to take care of Mom and have always been in a hurry. I have stopped several times in the past but it's been WAY too long.

Dan

Comment

Garlits museum is really good- been there a couple of times. I have wanted to go Floyd Garrets museum but just not gotten there.

A few small museums that are pretty good too:

Tupelo Auto Museum in Tupelo, MS. Based on one mans collection of over 100 cars starting from when cars were first made. Includes an early Chevy V8 (before the SBC of 1955). Several rare early cars included.

Auto museum in Pine Lodge, Montanna. I don't know the name of it, but we stopped there a few weeks ago. Lots of cars all displayed (in very cramped fashion) in an old prison. Worth a stop.

The Museum of Automobiles on Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas. Only been there once- early 80's when they were having their massive swap meet. Mostly for pre 50's cars- made an impression on me that hasn't left yet.

Memoryville in Rolla, MO. On Route 66- how cool is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RR
          Garlits museum is really good- been there a couple of times. I have wanted to go Floyd Garrets museum but just not gotten there.

A few small museums that are pretty good too:

Tupelo Auto Museum in Tupelo, MS. Based on one mans collection of over 100 cars starting from when cars were first made. Includes an early Chevy V8 (before the SBC of 1955). Several rare early cars included.
          the early chevy v8. Would like to see it.
          1917 saw the production of the first Chevrolet V8, a 288 cid overhead valve motor rated at 36 net horsepower. A total of approximately 3000 Chevrolet V8 motors were made between 1917 and 1919
          dual vents out the back of the head (no pcv) motor mounts like bars, front and back of block...

I often wonder the #1,2 rod explosions we get local are because of the way they mounted blocks since 1955...
          it is as if they left the front of the engine dangling out there in the wilderness.
          even 1917 got that correct. :
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I forgot to mention Pioneer Village in Minden, NE. Most of the cars are in their "as found" condition. There is barn after barn of them. I'm not sure if this is still true but at one time it was the largest privately-owned auto museum in he world. Worth a stop as you drive thru the Great Plains.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              I forgot to mention Pioneer Village in Minden, NE. Most of the cars are in their "as found" condition. There is barn after barn of them. I'm not sure if this is still true but at one time it was the largest privately-owned auto museum in he world. Worth a stop as you drive thru the Great Plains.

Dan
              Wow.......forgot about Pioneer Village and the Auburn-Cord museum.....been to both.
              I first came upon the one in Minden, NE back in the 70's when we lived in Lincoln for
              a few years. I traveled the entire state.

The Auburn-Cord museum caters business functions and have been there several times
              for them........it's an awesome place to go and the cars are out of this world.
              A good friend of mine is on the board and currently restoring an Auburn.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I went to Floyds museum about 12 years ago. I think i t was me and another couple in the museum. When I heard someone yell { Is that your truck with the parts in it}. I was on my way back from florida where I had picked up a complete front clip for my 66 chevelle at a local junkyard. He basically gave me a personal tour. Told me a few stories about some of the cars and took me out back into the restoration shop. He spent about 45 minutes with me and even came outside to check out what I had bought. Real nice guy. I have pictures I should have them scanned so I can share them.

Comment

I love stories like that - thanks for sharing - more proof that the car hobby has some of the best people, ever.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X