Timing Chain plays double-dutch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Chain plays double-dutch.

I've got a '69 Buick Le-sabre Sedan with a 350-2-Barrel pig,backed up by a two-speed Super-Turbine(B.O.P. Powerglide...)Automatic. Anywho,back in late March I took Her for a little spin,got in,warmed Her up and down the Road we went.....untill,"PIFFT"... she dropped dead. After about 'an hour of lettin' Her sit by the side of the Road,the Sister's showed up,and we tried to get Her going. We all quickly came to the conclusion that the origional Timing Chain(and the origional 41 year old Fiber Timing Gear...)had tossed it's Cookies,(you could hear the Engine 'want' to start with every revolution,but,She wasn't gonna cooperate :-\...)and that was it,we called the Landlord,who showed up with one of His timewarp Wreckers('58 Apache-20 series...)and towed Her Home. I simply pushed Her back into Her spot,disconnected the Positive Battery Cable,and forgot about it for awhile. The day after,I began to order a whole slew of new bits:-Cloyes Chain and a new Steel Cam Gear,new Oil Pump,Aluminum Timing-Cover from T/A Performance,along with a Gasket set. This REALLY sucked because before all this,I'd re-done the front of the Motor with a new Water-Pump,new Rubber Fuel Line/Hoses,3 new Fan Belts and a new Clutch for the Engine Fan. The Rad had also been removed,Pressure tested & cleaned & fitted with a new Cap >. Meanwhile,on occasion,I'd go over to the Garage,hook up the Positive,reach in and turn the Key for shits-n-giggles. However,last Friday I reach in,turn the key WITHOUT TOUCHING the Throttle and guess what happens...? She starts up on the 1'st Crank :o ;D :o ;D! I still hafta replace the Chain and stuff,but having Her running SURE is easier than pushing the nearly 5000-plus Lb. Buick around the Shop. Anybody else have a Timing-Chain 'jump on-jump off? ~J/W.

Re: Timing Chain plays double-dutch.

BUY A LOTTERY TICKET NOW! ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

never broke a v8 in the timing..

although my brothers 307 olds did crazy things with his too. Act like a hot start, etc.. all timing chain. went back to normal whenever it felt like.

the craziest timed engine I have ever run has been a subaru EA82 with two belts. I made the plug wires nearly equal length to gain the very tight snap down low (tighten timing), else a bit too dynamical for me and my 4lo desire...

I got in a bad wreck, slammed a guardrail in the 70s... front end of car bent up enough to not see where I was going.. I felt my seat drop down... the firewall was bent, belly pan dropped... and when reality set in, still gliding .. the engine was still running.

I pried open the hood to see the right side of engine was caved into the body, car twisted from end to the other... all doors toughened.

anyway, 1 timing belt was still attached keeping it going.

I kept the radiator as a momento, the extreme parellogram shape says it all.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Failure of those timing systems were pretty common. We'd get one a week or so with the Odd-Fire V6. Our customer base was pretty good and usually could talk them into a replacement while it was just rattling and before it was F.O.R.D. (found on the road dead). I don't remember having a ton of trouble with the 350s but, as you said, this is an OLD timing set. I don't think it owes you much as you got your money's worth out of this one. After I heal up bring it by and I'll toss it in there for you. (I know, not likely to happen so I'm pretty safe in making the offer!) They're pretty straightforward, though.

Dan

Comment

Thank's fer the offer,Dan :D! Meanwhile,the Landlord had told me once before about the Timing Chain which went 'South' in His late Brother's Blue '67 Buick Special Wagon. It had the Kaiser-Frazer "Dauntless" 60*-Degree 3.8 V6,a 'Chevy' Powerglide....and that it's IT. No Heater. No Power ANYTHING & no RADIO...a real P.O.W. Camp-on-Wheels ;D. Anywho,once the Engine was all apart,the Cam Gear had been stripped of SEVEN Teeth,plus once we lifted the Chain off/out,one of the side Link Covers just fell of in His Hand. The inside of the soft,Aluminum Timing Cover was eaten up a little. Being a Guy who didin't like to F**k around with shit like this,Jarad went out 'an bought a brand new piece from GM,along with a Gasket set,Gear-n-Chain,ect. I was "recommended" to do the same with the 350. Oddly enough,Jack has a rotted pair of Jeeps in stock right now: a Black 65 with the origional K-F 'Dauntless' V6(with a 2-Barrel...)and a 4-Speed,and a Brown '77 Renagade with a 258ci/4-Speed,complete with Clifford Intake,and a 450 Holley. I could probably get both combos for $2OO. I've never had a 60's non-smog "Buick" V6 before ;)...... ~J/W.

Comment

I've disintegrated a factory nylon one in a sbc once ... bent some valves too.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I just replaced the replacement aluminum timing chain gear on a friend's 73 Monte, along with the cam. All the teeth were worn to the nub on half the gear and I pulled the chain off without removing the cam gear.

It could the timing chain jump forward on the worn out gear on your Buick, then went back after getting bounced around on a tow truck.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

BTW - the Jeep motor was, indeed, a Buick product with "Dauntless" stickers applied. Just a plain ol' Buick odd fire V6. Pretty sure Kaiser never made an engine. Most were bought from Continental - not the Ford division but the industrial engine manufacturer. They made engines for all kinds of stuff from industrial trucks to air compressors. Kinda like Hercules.

Dan

Comment

If I remember right,these were painted the wacky off "Indusrtial Blue/Green" and rated at 'only' 225ci(same as a slanted Chrysler-6...). Weren't some of these painted 'an Orange colour too,Dan ? ~J/W.

Comment

Maybe it was just out of gas the first time

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Not sure on the paint colors. Never been much of a Jeep guy.

Dan

Comment

*Li'l update* Dan,took a look at the V6 in the rotted Jeep today,it starts & runs.....and that's about all it does...it just sits there,not rocking,sputtering,or anything like that,it just does it's thing,it sounds gutless,even when you hit the Gas,sure the RPM'S increase...it just seems like such a docile thing. Still,the Carb is most defenitly a re-builder job,it's the cleanest things on the Engine,along with the Cap. Fluid in the Trans looks 'Red' still. We almost had the 258 in the other Jeep running,but it would'nt give,still,I'm probably going to get the pair of 'em,just to save them for...........'something' :. ~J/W.

Comment

As I've entioned before, I'm the only fan of the 2.8 chevy v-6,had a couple s-10's with them. Anyways the last one at around 180.000 miles the thing would run for 45min then suddenly lose power and die or we'd just pull over and shut it off for 10min and let it cool down ( not that it was over 180 degrees ) then crank it over about 3 to 4 times. Somewhere in there it would hic-up and start. Then you'd be good for another 45 min.

Comment

Working...
                          X