X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local Heroes -L72 427 Station Wagon

it ran at independent dover dragway

Comment

This going back in time for me. I bought the car when I was a kid years ago. Its a 427 4 and a quarter bench seat 4 speed. Car was raced at dover dragstrip and I don't want to tell you what happened to it. Fast and fun. I knew that car was rare I had heard that there were 5 more produced. I still have the registration for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno View Post
        This going back in time for me. I bought the car when I was a kid years ago. Its a 427 4 and a quarter bench seat 4 speed. Car was raced at dover dragstrip and I don't want to tell you what happened to it. Fast and fun. I knew that car was rare I had heard that there were 5 more produced. I still have the registration for it.
        Sorry, but you HAVE to tell us what happened to it now.
        Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

good or bad the public wants to know
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
            My uncle worked there in the 60s/70s "in the front of the store". I think he was the guy who appraised your trade-in >

My folks' early rides were all sourced from Reedman
            I probably met him then, you pulled through this 4 bay garage for the appraisal, I tried to trade my 63 Dodge Ramcharger on a 64 Fuelie Vette but I couldn't handle the difference!

Sorry for the Hijack, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Interesting.

Papa Outsider had a friend who was a deputy sheriff . . . the sheriff's department "COPO'ed" (at taxpayer expense) a 427 wagon in '69. The local doughnut eaters all claimed it was stouter than the State Patrol's 440 Mopars (Dunno how they knew that . . . but the rumor was there had been some clandestine, late-night "training" runs with Smokey Bear out on the Eisenhower Highway System).

Deputy bought it and whipped it as his PV for several years. I never heard what engine code it allegedly had. They just called it "The 427" in overly-reverent tones . . . Probably just a bunch of old man Chevyphile BS. But us kids hung on every word as the Gospel.

Comment

an L72 427 should clobber any 440 ..including 6 pack

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  an L72 427 should clobber any 440 ..including 6 pack
                  Saw a kid in an Impala with a factory 427 on the gut in the early 70's beat all comers... Guy who was friends with him claims all he did was put tires/wheels on it... Beat even modified cars...

Comment

Working...
                  X