X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parsimonious? REALLY?

Originally posted by Monk
    Originally posted by DanStokes
    I thought "parsimonious" meant "like a preacher".

Dan
    Nah.........they grow on trees here in Missouri
    and are bitter as hell if you eat 'em green........makes
    your mouth pucker
    yea, and i hear if you split the seeds...... forks and spoons... they tell you what the winter is going to be like :D

Comment

Groucho - if ya don't like being ignorant ya only have one person to blame... YOU!
      Don't blame Mr. Smith.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
        Groucho - if ya don't like being ignorant ya only have one person to blame... YOU!
        Don't blame Mr. Smith.
        This guy has tact.

I wish he would figure out how to use it.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

writing for a 6th grade level can be dull.. but using words that are college level may be a little extreme also....
          personally I think the author should have been a more parsimonious with the allocation of his improvident vocabularical selections

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
            writing for a 6th grade level can be dull.. but using words that are college level may be a little extreme also....
            personally I think the author should have been a more parsimonious with the allocation of his improvident vocabularical selections
            Nah....it's them hangin participles
            that bug the shit out of me
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
              Don't blame Mr. Smith.
              Little high n' mighty there chief :o.......Mr. Smith is writing for ALL the masses. and if he's usin' them thar more bigger words like that Parisienna word ... well... If'n ya don't like big words, then generally, your not gonna like having to look them up to find out what they mean. so ya won't. and then ya won't know what all of the article was really about.....reality.

AND SO.....that means Mr. Smith failed (somewhat - please forgive me jeff) in getting ALL of his readers to understand his wrirtings. AND, if you don't reach your target audience, then ya might as well not write for 'em, 'eh? most folks buy mags for the pics :-\

oh.... and that Parisienne word really was too big. I didn' even not get it niether. >

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I don't mind learning a new word every now and then but it should make my life easier for knowing it .And it should sort of flow. Like even if you never hear it before you can figure it out.Sort of like B-villes made up words. That word isn't flowing for me. I agree with Groucho.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  Originally posted by boxer3main
                  parsimounious :
                  I think that goes on chicken.
                  said the guy whose posts read like a William Shakespeare ode to Karl Benz!

Oh, come on!! I finally understood one of his posts, and actually laughed!

Comment

To Groucho's point......I turn out a newsletter
                    every month.

I send it a department called 'document services'
                    It's supposed to read at an 8th grade level.

I guess it's a matter of keeping it simple.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Of course the irony here is the $3 word many of us didn't know is just a big word describing using small words that we can understand.

"Parsimony is the use of the simplest or most frugal route of explanation available."

Comment

huh?
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                          with today's world of internet look up..
                          would it kill ya to learn a new word?
                          plus.. it fulfills the educational content requirement..

it might have just been that new work you learn and use alot ,because of the newness of it..
                          and he wrote the story in that time period... so it ended up in it..
                          whatever the reason.. it got you to talk about it ;)
                          I get the car mags for entertainment. To STOP and plug in the computer, to look up a word.....THEN go back to the mag and figure where I left off, disrupting the "flow" of what I was trying to read makes NO SENSE TO ME. But hey, thanks for asking
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            It won't hurt to go look a word up every now and then. Thank Jeff for expanding your lexicon, groucho!

(coincidentally, if you haven't met Jeff - you should try, he's a way cool guy)
                            I've said this before....I was very young when I picked up my 1st car mag and understood it better then than now. What about the kid today that picks one up, sees these words and goes back to his comic books instead? Why should I stop 3 times during a story, interupting the flow of that story to look up a word that's completely not necessary? Just asking.
                            STUGOTS

Comment

I miss the off the rack girls .....
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I know exactly what you mean Groucho....

I picked up a book that was supposed to be written by a guy who was some well educated wall street type big wig who got sick of the crap and opened a bike shop...it was about how guys like us, mechanics, tradesman are looked down upon to a degree in society and how society has shun the trades in general....I got about 4 chapters into it and gave up because the well educated douche bag that wrote it must have not had guys like me in mind...I had to stop and look up at least 1 word per page, sometimes more...I read for enjoyment and this book sounded like a good one....not so much.

Pissed me off that I wasted 15 bucks to be reminded how unrefined my vocab is.
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X