Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parsimonious? REALLY?

Originally posted by yellomalibu
    Of course the irony here is the $3 word many of us didn't know is just a big word describing using small words that we can understand.

Maybe that's what draws Jeff to love using it.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
      Of course the irony here is the $3 word many of us didn't know is just a big word describing using small words that we can understand.

"Parsimony is the use of the simplest or most frugal route of explanation available."
      Using a really expensive word to describe the cheapest, easiest route of getting something done is totally idiotic.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk

Nah....it's them hangin participles
        that bug the shit out of me
        Not sure what they are, are they like dangling testicles or what? stalactites? a sleeping chiroptera?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
          Using a really expensive word to describe the cheapest, easiest route of getting something done is totally idiotic.
          Welcome to the Engrish language. :D
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

English:-The ONLY Language in where you can drive a Car on a Parkway,yet PARK it in a Driveway. The only Language in where your House 'burns up' when it 'burns down' :o ;D. Tell me this:-If Vegetarians eat VEGETABLES...then what do HUMANTIRANS eat :o ;D :D?! Yuk-Yuk-Yuk :D! ~J/W.

Comment

i thought my wife sprinkled some parsimonious on my spaghetti the other night
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I can see Groucho's issue, really. Its just about cars,not big words. But me I will take the time to look something up, but thats just me, to the average young guy, probably not. Car Craft has not been in my house for some time, I like Jeff alright, but I like DF better,HR seems to fit me. Still I see no place for big words, this isnt Motor Trend.

Comment

... I'm not a dummy, but I don't have an enormous vocabulary. I had no idea what parsimonious meant, so I had to look it up. Usually I can tell what a word means by the context in which it's used... it's what gets me through all the Stephen King books I've read. If I stopped every time I read a word I wasn't familiar with, I'd never get through the damned thing.

* anecdote- (that means relevant story about what we're talking about) ... I once lent a Stephen King book to a guy when I was in the military. He was the type who HAD to know what a word meant before he could go on, so it took him a long time to read my book... when I got it back it was mangled from the months of riding around in his cargo pocket.

dapples... that's one of the words I had to look up one time. The context wasn't clear to me... it went something like "dapples and shadows on the grass beneath the tree..."
                  You know what that word means?

Wait... we were talking about car magazines.

You guys have a point. Showing off your fancy vocabulary in a Hot Rod or a Car Craft article has about as much place as a feminine hygiene product ad would have in Playboy.

Comment

"Dapples" are small spots of light on a dark background or dark on a light background. For example, Appaloosa horses often have dapples across their rumps. So in your sentence there would be little dots of sunlight coming thru the trees.

I was raised by an English Canadian Mom who stressed vocabulary and it's served me well. Folks always think I'm better educated than I am. Here's to Big Words!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                      I can see Groucho's issue, really. Its just about cars,not big words. But me I will take the time to look something up, but thats just me, to the average young guy, probably not. Car Craft has not been in my house for some time, I like Jeff alright, but I like DF better,HR seems to fit me. Still I see no place for big words, this isnt Motor Trend.
                      I like DF too. He had the balls to call me a Fag...to my face.......TWICE! I respect that ;D

But, he and Chad also had me suck orange juice through a fart (gave me a can of NOS at the swap meet). I'd rather be called a Fag >
                      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                        Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        It won't hurt to go look a word up every now and then. Thank Jeff for expanding your lexicon, groucho!

(coincidentally, if you haven't met Jeff - you should try, he's a way cool guy)
                        I've said this before....I was very young when I picked up my 1st car mag and understood it better then than now. What about the kid today that picks one up, sees these words and goes back to his comic books instead? Why should I stop 3 times during a story, interupting the flow of that story to look up a word that's completely not necessary? Just asking.
                        cause some people like to learn something new everyday..
                        you don't.. school musta sucked,, I had a ruff time in school because of dyxlecia, but I loved learning,, I really can't see a kid, that's in school learning new words daily having that big of an issue, looking up a word , as they read a car mag as they'll slide open their cell phone, hit internet and look it up in 3 seconds.. done.. , it's not like they have to drag open a 6" thick book and look it up... wish they had that when I was in school, as it's a big help even today, at least to me

Comment

Working...
                        X