Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

    Suspension setup varies depending on driver, too. Remember, I've NEVER owned a car with IRS-either straight axle or a trailer beam (the W-bodies). I would actually be more comfortable with a straight axle with a Posi on dirt, it's very familiar to me.

    (Y'know, I better get a damn job soon if I'm to keep this thread up...)
    The former Remy-Z

    "Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

      Trust me, go with IRS.. you have way better control from a drivers perspective PLUS you can change camber...

      i did the same with an RX7, it was flat bad to the bone on dirt.... i can't believe I forgot about it, it was so light and nimble... i just got hung up on the 3.0l limit... I think the 1.3 rotary acts like a 2.6 but the extra RPM and lighter weight it worked... plus the transmission was slick, 1st to 5th and back to 1st with no clutch when driving easy, very well synchro'ed

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

        What gen RX7? There's a conversion page for the rotaries...
        The former Remy-Z

        "Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

          meh i say keep the mustang II idea

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

            Haven't seen this idea thrown out there yet...but how about a 4 door Dart or Valiant?

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

              Even in /6 form, blows the 3.0L limit for Group 2.
              The former Remy-Z

              "Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                Originally posted by Remy-Z
                Even in /6 form, blows the 3.0L limit for Group 2.
                True, but you could swap in a 2.5 engine/transmission from a Dakota. Just an idea.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                  True, but with that, why not just build the Dakota for RallyTruck and skip the hassle altogether?
                  The former Remy-Z

                  "Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                    Originally posted by Remy-Z
                    True, but with that, why not just build the Dakota for RallyTruck and skip the hassle altogether?
                    Yeah but with you being the "saint of lost automotive causes", I thought that might appeal to your sensibilites! ;) Seriously though, I didn't even think of the Rally Truck idea and you seem to looking for a car with a "dare to be different" vibe.. I was thinking "smaller/lighter car" and the 4 door Dart popped into my head. When you mentioned the cubic inch limitation the 2.5 combo popped into my head...with the added bonus of being able to drop in a V-8 when you were ready to move up. I personally like the Mustang II idea, but I know they're getting real hard to find (at least where I live).

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                      The "patron saint" has two issues:

                      1. Lives in an apartment about five miles from Tacoma, WA. The apartment managers are already pissed enough at me about my fleet, and I'm well out of space for another car until the Chevelle is gone.

                      2. Contrary to popular belief, my automotive skills are very limited. I can do a fair bit of work, don't get me wrong, but prepping a rally car is well beyond my limits. And the Subaru club last night made it very well known that unless it has the Stars of Pleiadies all over it, that I will be receiving minimal help with it.

                      Oh, yeah...did I forget to mention "broke"? :D
                      The former Remy-Z

                      "Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                        Remy...Volvo 240... :P.They are very popular in rally over here..

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                          if you think a volvo 240 is going to hang with an rx7... whoa!! ;D ;D

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                            Remy,
                            Go to http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/
                            become a member and start reading and asking questions.

                            I haven't rallied in anger since about 1998.
                            I built my firt car and it took 3+ years to get to the first rally.
                            The Volvo is popular so is the RX7.
                            The Volvo is built like a tank. The RX7 has been known to twist the axel housing apart when abused.
                            I understand that there is a 500+ hp Volvo out there that is very competitive.
                            Being in the NW there are many rallies and rally cars.
                            Many cars are for sale. Buy your first car.
                            Chevetts are crap. Heavy is your enemy. Rallies in the USA are not like the European rallies.
                            My last years in Pro Rally were with a 390 V8 AMC SX/4. It weighed close to 4000#.
                            My first rally car was a 401 V8 Gremlin thI went to the 2010 power tour with it.
                            Remember if you buy a $500 car and make it a legal rally car you will have invested about $10k in it before you get to the first event. And at the end of the first rally you will still have a $500 car.
                            BUY YOUR FIRST RALLY CAR AND HAVE FUN.

                            Nick

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                              Originally posted by nickleone
                              Remy,
                              Go to http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/
                              become a member and start reading and asking questions.

                              I haven't rallied in anger since about 1998.
                              I built my firt car and it took 3+ years to get to the first rally.
                              The Volvo is popular so is the RX7.
                              The Volvo is built like a tank. The RX7 has been known to twist the axel housing apart when abused.
                              I understand that there is a 500+ hp Volvo out there that is very competitive.
                              Being in the NW there are many rallies and rally cars.
                              Many cars are for sale. Buy your first car.
                              Chevetts are crap. Heavy is your enemy. Rallies in the USA are not like the European rallies.
                              My last years in Pro Rally were with a 390 V8 AMC SX/4. It weighed close to 4000#.
                              My first rally car was a 401 V8 Gremlin thI went to the 2010 power tour with it.
                              Remember if you buy a $500 car and make it a legal rally car you will have invested about $10k in it before you get to the first event. And at the end of the first rally you will still have a $500 car.
                              BUY YOUR FIRST RALLY CAR AND HAVE FUN.

                              Nick
                              Here's and RX-7 Rally Car for sale on E-bay. Starting bid is $1200...

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...5#ht_698wt_960
                              [img][/img]

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

                                Merkur XR4Ti.

                                Used as a rally car from the start and there are, I believe, several good books on how to fix it up for rally. Fully independent suspension, front and rear. If you need to go NA, yank the turbo off. Plenty of hop up parts for the 2.3, its used all the time for circle track.

                                I just had someone offer me a shell. There are deals out there to be had, just have to do some searching. Spend sometime on Merkursport.com.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X