Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

Between the $500 BMW of Bill Caswell and the steady and continuing efforts of my friends in PIA's rally crew, I've gotten a little more than my typical passing interest in rally lately. So much so that tonight I sat down, downloaded the '10 Rally America rulebook, looked it over and tried to see what it would really take to get a season going.

First, I'd have to get a license. From what I can tell, you pay for it, and it lasts the whole season. OK, not bad.

Second, I've got to build a car. I can run in Group 2 (2WD, N/A, manual trans, 3.0L limit) or Open Light (AWD, 2.6L for OHC, 3.3 for pushrod, N/A). Considering that the only AWD car I've ever driven was a '98 Mitsu 3000GT, and I was just running up and down HWY 24 in the mountains near Colorado Springs at very high speeds, I'd rather stay with Group 2. Most of the mods are nothing...the 'cage and other weldables can be done by the younger brother who now, after getting my Ramcharger for free, will be donating his time to complete. ;D So, now the fun begins: What car? Originally, my ideal ride was the '78-'83 Dodge Challenger/Plymouth-Mitsu Sapporo. 2.6L, N/A, RWD. Perfect. But searching Craigslist and eBay turned up no examples. Next was the Chrysler Conquest/Mitsu Starion. Not bad cars, but they seem low and I couldn't find an N/A one. Then, I had an epiphany:

Really...I think maybe two BangShifters would mind me using one as a rally car. Plus, once I move up in licenses, I can upgrade to a max engine size of 5.1L and be just fine.

I'm seriously thinking about this. I don't want anything larger, I don't want to test the waters with FWD. What do ya'll think? Good idea, or no?

(And yes, I'm sober....)
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

No,you're DRUNK ;D! Nighty-Night. ~J/W.

Comment

Why dont you buy a Fox Mustang instead?..a better car.

Comment

Just tossing ideas. Mustang II's come up tons cheaper than the Fox Mustangs, and the II's wheelbase is shorter. There isn't a lot over here that I'd use willingly. A Chevy Monza would be up there, too...not much in the way of small manual-trans RWD cars out there for the really cheap that I could use.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I say go for it. Just promise to up the original 302's power from the stock 105 hp. Pathetic.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Im with rebel..go for it..you live only once,and if we live twice..have fun in both ;D

Comment

great idea.. there is several local.. actually even a famous...

the other end of the rich and famous has young guy winning with a vw rabbit, and other cars for free. stories may be even cheaper than bill caswells.

I ponder'd what american car could do it, solid states. The mitsus and j-tinners (transverse) is simply something to humor for rules.. the rabbit makes more sense.
              I love it when rally gets the fairy tailers out of the damn way.

The little mustangs, four cyl turbo..?

I do not know if beetles are accepted. Maybe a corvair hacked up to follow rules.. old porsche.
              there is a common approach. and does not need to be. Would like to see an american. Not even the ford fiesta is american.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

mustang II to heavy...
                think chevette or clones light tiny cheap and reardrive.. without all the crap in the engineroom a 3.8 will slide in..
                they came as sticks

save the mustang.. get a pinto

Comment

The VW Rabbits are running with some success, as is a CRX that has no idea what valve float is, but again, I have very little experience with FWD and dirt. Chevette would be interesting. Maybe even a 3800-swapped Fiero?

Comment

MR2?

Rear drive, being rear/mid engined they have a nice balance. Not sure about the transverse transaxle setup, but there is a decent following and after market for them .... plus they seem to be dirt cheap around here.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

mustang II would be a good choice engine wise, theres a number of engine choices you can go with - 2.3 NA, 2.3 SVO, NA small blocks then power adders.

Easy to get suspension parts for since theres so many peeps that use mustang II on various hot rod projects. Sounds like a good choice to me
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Actually Remy...you have the perfect rally car.....it lacks a real healty engine,and some better suspension pieces,but its a real good candidate..the Chevelle!!.

I would have had no problems with driving that one in a rally..its one of the best american sedans when it comes to handling and parts availabilty..yeah,its heavier than a Rabbit,but so what,Its bangshift approved x 3537789 .

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z

Second, I've got to build a car. I can run in Group 2 (2WD, N/A, manual trans, 3.0L limit) or Open Light (AWD, 2.6L for OHC, 3.3 for pushrod, N/A).
                          The 'velle would be to heavy for that small of an engine ...

Comment

Too bad.. :-[

Comment

I was gonna say the Diplomat until I saw the cubic inch limit, but then again, what does a 225/6 come in at liter wise?

Comment

Working...
                              X