• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am buying a welder next week...need input

Originally posted by Buickguy
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    gifts on birthdays ?? hahahahaha
    terry changed clips on his olds 88 with oxy/acetylene and coat hangers
    years ago I was working on installing a duct system (welded) in a nightclub.... ran out of welding wire.... towards the end of the project, I overheard the manager of the club telling the coat check personnel to watch the hangers as most of the hangers had turned up missing ;D I almost complained about them, as they were coated and it was a mother getting the coating off so I could weld the duct together......
    first weld I ever saw was a home made something or other... coat hanger, old steel ones. I knew never ever fall for the dumb sales...

the sheet metal can be welded flux core... and if in tight spots, unseens, channels to be closed... keep the gas, I do not need radon 12v escaping 3 years afterwards melting my brain... or an explosion...or catalyst half life. As some may know.. all crazy chemistry is carried in inert gasses on earth. Even nuclear is prolonged...

I have been smashing j-tin with a mig for a couple of years....the gas is for making pretty. you want it to work, let the imperfections burn out in realtime, grind later without the gas. Gas also hides chemicals. I can't even find an argument FOR gas but more for against. It is great looking weld surrounded by death.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Allright guys...

I went to a local welding shop and spoke with the owner who has been in the business over 30 years, he told me that I can not go wrong with this machine and the price...he will sell me a full bottle of shielding gas for 100 bucks...so for less that 4 bills I should be able to do what I need to do....

What do you think

I might pick this up today...will have to wait til the 15th for the gas...man am I excited...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Looks good to me!

You won't regret having a real MIG.

Flux core works in a pinch, but it's nothing like cookin with gas baby! ;D
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I found a welding car for 30 bucks on CL too...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

ROCK ON!

I do envy the smaller package set ups like that occasionally - my SP200 is HUGE! literally the size of a big block engine crate, and damned near as heavy!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I just found this one. Looks ready to rock. Are Craftsman's any good?
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Not a bad price. The tank can cost around $80-100.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  I just found this one. Looks ready to rock. Are Craftsman's any good?
                  Century, lincon and craftsman...according to the gentleman I spoke with are all essentialy the same internally, infact if I am not mistake he said they are all made by the same company...

That is a smoking deal for that set up Scott...tank, helmet and welder and cart.....thats an easy 800 bucks new....

Comment

There are definitely two grades of entry level boxes by lincoln.

The home depot/lowes/sears units are different then the stuff at welding shops I believe.

I have an SP135-t that's been a beast for years and I use flux core on thick stuff and mig on the sheet metal. If you can swing for the gas, it really is a night and day difference.

Hopefully the unit you got has instructions and a graph with heat/wire speed settings. They're great for a baseline and I rarely ever have to mess with the dials.
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

The Century should do well for you. I have Lincoln SP 100 - the Daddy of the 135. Mine lacks the poop for roll cages - but not by much. I'd love to have that extra 35 amps!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X