A surprise last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A surprise last night

As big as that bear was those folks in that van are lucky that they got away with only that damage to the van. We get bears around my place too. I had seen a bear or two when camping up in the mountains, but not close to home. Four years ago when we first moved out "in the country," my neighbor took me out to a field just down the road about a mile and there was a big bear in the soy bean field. Later my neighbor went to look at the tracks and claimed it was at least 600 pounds. I do know that one field over last year an 800 pounder was killed. Yes, the guys butchered it and split it up. Lots of bear venison last winter I reckon.

Comment

Yuk .... bear meat is too darn greasy. Now elk on the other hand .... YUMMY!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
        Something about me changed years ago. I used to hunt rabbits back in 92-93 so I could eat before I got a job after the military draw down left me unemployed. Darn Russians quit the cold war and I wasnt needed to keep them out of western Europe. Now I have deer and rabbits strolling around my yard and I would rather take pictures of them than shoot and eat them. I do my hunting with a camera instead of my rifle. I respect bears and it saddens me that this one was killed, but I really dont want one strolling around my yard. I have a very different outlook from what I had 20 or 30 years ago. Its part of why I love living here in the UP.

The change about me is I will only kill something if I have to eat it, not just because I want to eat it. It is getting to the point where I have been thinking about a large freezer so I can have venison and be more self sufficient, but I would rather let them wander around and admire them. I have never liked killing for sport, and someone who only wants a trophy buck with a big rack irritates me. We got a lot of those 'hunters' back in Nebraska, they would cut the head off and leave the rest to rot. I guess the coyotes ate well for a couple weeks. It reminds me of the buffalo hunters that would leave the carcasses on the plains, its a huge waste of life.

I really dont like the idea of moving from here, but I might have to.
        Very well-written post. My father taught me that if you kill it, you have to have to clean and eat it. This lesson has stuck. I fish and hunt. I keep and clean the fish (I don't understand catch-and-release guys. Catch-and-release is a waste of time), same with pheasant hunting. I do not kill just to kill. I only kill if I plan on eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari812

I keep and clean the fish (I don't understand catch-and-release guys. Catch-and-release is a waste of time), same with pheasant hunting. I do not kill just to kill. I only kill if I plan on eating it.
          That's why we catch and release, no one in the family like to eat them but the kids get a kick out of catching them. When my G-ma was alive, she'd take all the trout we could catch, she loved them....

On a different note, a big reason to game hunt is the savings at the grocery store. When we were buying meat, our grocery bill was $60-$70 more per week. My bro has cows at his place, I actually bought a calf and had him raise it only paying for feed. Had it butchered when it was time, and it ended up costing approximately $1.80 per pound to put it on the table, and lasted my family (just us, not my bro's) over a year. I usually get the game meat from friends that are hunters (I don't like the idea of going to the mountains and hiking thru snow for a week to hopefully bag something) and I'm all for it, it's just not for me.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

it's interesting to me that people complain about coyotes and bears yet still leave their snack-sized pets (especially cats) outside.... not to mention their bringing out the smogesboard more then 12 hours before trash day.... given how often I'm in the woods, I live in a rural area - I never see bears other then at Yellowstone... but again, I'd really rather not see a bear - and I know they don't want to see me.... so my dogs aren't snack sized, I do shoot the cute furry creatures that eat my rose bushes, I never leave the garbage can where they can get it, and I do practice extermination of small rodents.... cause here's the big hairy secret my city-bred neighbors just don't get - you don't get bigger vermin if you eliminate the smaller vermin..... I do, however, save a few of the dumber examples to feed the owls... and someday I'll get a picture of an eagle with a cat in its claws but that goes back to vermin elimination ;D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm with you Todd and Gene - I respect hunters and their heritage, I'm glad the NRA exists - but it's not my cup of tea - I'm not sure I could kill a dear - unless I was hungry.

Geese on the other hand - I could kill by the hundreds with no remorse whatsoever! Damned feces machines!

Venison and Elk are a true pleasure to eat for me - and I know if they were not hunted, many would starve to death as they are over populated in much of this country. I'd rather be shot than starve to death - but I'd rather have someone else do the shooting - and I'll pay the butcher. ;)
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The one animal I have absolutely no compunction about killing is mice. If they werent so destructive to my vehicles I woud build them houses to live in and feed them. What they have done to some of my cars is appalling, right now I am working on repairing rust in a heater box for the 65 because of mice nests inside it. I have two and both are full of holes from mice. My Cougar still smells like a billion mice are living in it and it has been bare metal and repainted inside and out. I need to figure something out for that one or I will never be able to drive it again.

Chipmunks and other critters are not a problem, but mice I relish in killing. I got over a thousand last year with my bucket trap.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

Geese on the other hand - I could kill by the hundreds with no remorse whatsoever! Damned feces machines!

The only real thing between me and killing a hundred geese for pure satisfaction in South Carolina was the law. You can't kill 'em.

I'd forgotten all about that, contrary to what I said above. Yeah, I could have, WOULD have killed dozens and hundreds of Canada geese and piled them up like firewood, no intention to eat them.

But you couldn't shoot a gunpowder gun in our old neighborhood there, and the geese are "protected" there anyway. The game warden had no advice. I chased em with firecrackers and shot em with the pellet gun, and that only made them jump and honk and crap Chihuaua-sized solid turds even more. I'm sure I've typed that story here before. Yeah, I could kill Canada geese. If I had to borrow the money for the ammo, it would be way more than worth it. And I could even do it with great vigor if hadn't even had a single beer for courage. 1st degree murder of a crap factory, I'm talking about.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

but mice I relish in killing. I got over a thousand last year with my bucket trap.
                    Details please on this bucket trap, as I have a mouse problem here.
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

The best thing I've seen for mice is feral cats. How you go and get some, I don't know. Our old neighborhood in SC had a bunch of wild cats. Just house cats that lived in the woods and didn't trust a human within 50 yars of them. They'd run away. Wild cats. We had mice in the house before, but we sure didn't have any when the wild cats were outside. But an old neighbor lady of ours was afraid of the wild cats, so she called animal control.

They (Animal Control) came and rounded up all of the cats. And guess what...the mice were back the next year. With revenge in mind. I chased em around inside the house with a broom, bashing and bloody murdering them. Because my life was not happy at all at the time. I could do that. It felt "good", even, to kill mice with a broom. Smash and bash.

I don't think I could kill a rat with a broom now. That's just gross. But I sure did Deep Six a bunch of them back then. Like a horror movie. Whack Whack Whack, blood and guts. The now-ex-wife was screaming about them running around the house (better her screaming at the mice than at me). Got divorced, got less-stressed, got better, life is now grand with Sue Unit.

No, now I have no doubt I couldn't kill a mouse with a broom. I no longer have it in me. But I sure could kill a Canada Goose. If if was legal. I could kill a Canada Goose right now with a broom, and I'm not even mad or stresed. That would be fun. But you sure won't kill one with a broom anyhow. They're too fast.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                        but mice I relish in killing. I got over a thousand last year with my bucket trap.
                        Details please on this bucket trap, as I have a mouse problem here.

You need
                        One 5 gallon bucket.
                        Mechanics wire.
                        One aluminum beverage can.
                        Peanut butter.
                        a length of cardboard that will create a ramp from the floor to the top of the bucket.

Punch a hole in the bottom of the aluminum can, feed a length of wire through the hole, and affix the ends of the wire to the bucket handle. Smear the can with peanut butter. Put two gallons of used oil, antifreeze, or plain ol water in the bucket and place the ramp to the side. Place the bucket where no dogs, squirrels, or other animals you dont want to eat the peanut butter or drown a horrible death can get to it. Mice will die by the hundreds. Keep in mind you have to scoop them out every couple days or the smell will overpower you.

What liquid you use depends on your location and the legality of burning waste oil.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                          they are still very timid here..
                          never heard of a car encounter.

The only I have seen going crazy like a moose in the bugs were lightning fast.

they can run at least 88mph. :o
                          Huh? What? Am I the only one who never understands Boxer? Sorry, I hope not to offend...I am just confused

Comment

Originally posted by CarPlayLB
                            Originally posted by boxer3main
                            they are still very timid here..
                            never heard of a car encounter.

The only I have seen going crazy like a moose in the bugs were lightning fast.

they can run at least 88mph. :o
                            Huh? What? Am I the only one who never understands Boxer? Sorry, I hope not to offend...I am just confused
                            I think he said... "Around here, bears don't walk in front of cars. However, I have seen bugs become like a crazed moose (but smaller) when they get near the bug zapper. Oh yeah, and cheetahs can run fast."
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

That's what I got :D
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Uh, OK! Thanks guys! That really clears things up for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X