Drive In Theaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive In Theaters

Well, with the Delsea Drive In Show approaching. I've been talking to people about this kind of stuff, apparently, there is more interest in this kind of stuff by people my age than I thought.
    A girl I was talking to said she used to go to the Diamond State Drive In before it closed,

Well, the Delsea Drive In had only one screen until recently, because when I saw American Graffiti there (could there be a cooler movie to see at a drive in?) they have added a second screen, it isn't as good now, but still cool

Are there any drive ins around any of you guys? Active or closed but still there?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Drive In Theaters

They do the same thing around here but on a big blow-up screen. It's funny how people nowdays find it such a novelty to watch a movie while sitting in their car. I still have fond memories of the Mt. Baldy drive-in on Foothill blvd (route 66) near San Dimas. My dad would back our '66 Mercury wagon into the space so we could watch the movie through the rear window. He would listen to the ball game on the radio and my mother would read a book.

Isn't Google a wonderful thing.

The skiers were blue neon and they would flash so it looked like they were moving.
    I don't think our parents ever took us to see these movies. ;D

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Search for drive-in movie theaters by keyword, map, or zip code.

You can find any drive ins at this web site. We have several here in Alabama. I am waiting for the one in Harpersville to play something I want to see. The down side here is that they don't start until 8:30 at night. 9:30 is my bed time. Bed is a little more important most of the time... ;D

Comment

We had one in York Nebraska when I was a kid in the 80s. I went to see lots of movies there, they always had a triple feature. Usually it was Platoon that was one of the movies, lots of fun. We would sit on the bent hood of my 72 GTO and watch flicks with groups of friends. They tore it down while I was in the USAF and built a rest home there. It wasnt the movies, it was about all of us getting together and doing something fun together.

Comment

We used to go to the drive-in sometimes...El Camino, lounge chairs, ice cooler. El Camino parked backwards is really the way to go. Lifted 4x4s, laser pointers and people having difficulty with the transistion between gang-banging and parenthood helped screw up the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
            We used to go to the drive-in sometimes...El Camino, lounge chairs, ice cooler. El Camino parked backwards is really the way to go.
            Unless you have 2 guys, a girl you used to go out with, and a gay guy flirting with your friend, making it awkward for everybody in the bed
            Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
              Originally posted by Loren
              We used to go to the drive-in sometimes...El Camino, lounge chairs, ice cooler. El Camino parked backwards is really the way to go.
              Unless you have 2 guys, a girl you used to go out with, and a gay guy flirting with your friend, making it awkward for everybody in the bed
              AWKWARD!!!

Hahahaha...

Comment

I love going to the drive-in. It's probably the best way to see movies during the summer because it's cheap. Ours always has a double feature of new releases and it only costs $15 per car load so you just pack a cooler and see how many people you can cram in one vehicle. Hmm, I think I just found my weekend plans...
                Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

We love the drive-in too.

We have the Mission Tiki Drive-In here close to us, and it's $7 per adult, kids to 10 are $1. You can't beat that for two first run movies. We pack the cooler, bring our own snacks, and just hang out. We either lay down in the back of the wagon, or back the Suburban in and set up our lawn chairs. Either way it is a good time had by all. The place is always packed. And compared to $10.50 or more for a single movie at the theater, it's a way better deal.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Never been to a drive inn, but there is one up the road I should go to some time.

Comment

Our state gov'ment ruined driveins for me . We went to daylight savings time a couple of years ago. it doesn't get drark most of the summer till 10. Sorry I'll just go to the 1.50 theater or rent in at red box and watch it in my recliner. T/A doesn't have much room for anything . Me the drinks the pop corn. Get your heads out of the gutter . lol

Comment

As Walt Disney would say, "It's a small world after all". ME's mother's family was from York and her grandpa was the dean of the college at one time. Is that your place of birth? Almost bought a '48 International pickup there a few years ago when we were visiting.

About drive-ins. I was alive and dating during their heyday (I graduated HS in 1965) so I spent LOTS of time at them doing what teenagers did at them. The closest was the Commerce in Commerce, MI. There were several in Pontiac and we'd go there sometimes.

There's one in Wilmington but it's a flea market now. I should go sometime and see if there any car stuff or maybe tools. No clue, haven't looked.

Dan

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                        We had one in York Nebraska when I was a kid in the 80s. I went to see lots of movies there, they always had a triple feature. Usually it was Platoon that was one of the movies, lots of fun. We would sit on the bent hood of my 72 GTO and watch flicks with groups of friends. They tore it down while I was in the USAF and built a rest home there. It wasnt the movies, it was about all of us getting together and doing something fun together.

Comment

There's one in Gratz, PA. Its a little town in the mountains, out in the middle of absolutely no-where. Families show up and all the kids play football in front of the screen until the show starts. It is a wonderfully relaxing time.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                            There's one in Gratz, PA. Its a little town in the mountains, out in the middle of absolutely no-where. Families show up and all the kids play football in front of the screen until the show starts. It is a wonderfully relaxing time.
                            Realistically, you can't really entertain folks that way in the Deep South, because, when the weather's warm enough to get out and enjoy it, the mosquitos will eat you up. But I guess our ancestors, who had no air conditioniing at all, thought conditions were great after dark, especially since the oven-for-a-house had a few hours to cool off with the windows and doors standing open while they were out enjoying the movie show. That's all I can figure.

Even though I'm only 52 right now, I think the drive ins' popularity pre-dated me. I went to one once, a pretty neat experience, but...

There was one in my home town in South Carolina, but a tornado came along and blew it away. They didn't fix it, they built a strip mall there instead since the property was so nicely cleaned off, right across form the high school. The property was too valuable to put up another drive-in movie screen, on the main road, and the area was growing like a nuclear explosion.

Sad, really, but times sure do change as we go.

We lose a lot of Americana at every step. But we don't need buggy whips any more either. I'm kind of fond of nastalgia. Remember when..."" Yeah, it's fun to remember "when," but "when" went away for a reason, whether we like it or embrace or not.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by hoosiergta
                              Our state gov'ment ruined driveins for me . We went to daylight savings time a couple of years ago. it doesn't get drark most of the summer till 10. Sorry I'll just go to the 1.50 theater or rent in at red box and watch it in my recliner. T/A doesn't have much room for anything . Me the drinks the pop corn. Get your heads out of the gutter . lol
                              PLENTY OF ROOM IN A 3RD GEN T/A THE SEATS RECLINE NICE.. don't ask me how i know..
                              it was my "crib" in h/s
                              best is a topless jeep

Comment

Working...
                              X