Stainless Steel '36 Ford is for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel '36 Ford is for sale

I've been hearing about these legendary stainless cars since I was a pup. One of them supposedly was driven over a million miles!

Now I see that the only one in private hands is up for sale. How cool would that be? I would throw some vintage speed equipment on it, lower it, and put some cool wheels on it. It would look good chopped, but I'm not hard core enuff to cut up something that rare. ;D

Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.

Re: Stainless Steel '36 Ford is for sale

Wonder what something like that is worth .... would it be enough for me to back half the camaro with? If not, I'd cut it up ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I'd drop the underside, and weld in my 90hp subaru wagon drivetrain with dual range. ;D

some four lug french peugeot wheels... so classy. :

the one thing I keep losing.. and there it is . Sitting stainless witha goofball drivetrain.

???
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You know a millionare collector will pick that thing up and it will sit for the next 20 years. That is the real crime. I would want to drive the life out of that '36. Am I nuts for wanting to daily that thing??? ;D

Comment

I think that's OK - but I don't want to see your bill for polish! Seems like wash & polish would be a weekly chore.

IIRC, a few of these were made to promote a steel company's development of an SS alloy (US Steel, maybe?). One was driven by the CEO and some by other big wigs. I didn't know any were in private hands. Truthfully, not my favorite body style but it IS way cool.

Dan

Comment

I saw a few awhile back at a show. I think these might be the promotional cars?

Comment

High bid of $550,000 did not meet the sellers reserve.

Comment

"Long before the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham and the DeLorean became famous for their use of stainless steel"

eldorados are made of stainless steel?

Comment

Interesting.
                  I was out last year on a trip with one of our Sale guys in Pittsburg, and we went up to a mill, where they originally provided the stainless steel Ford stamped the stuff out of. My preference, the lincoln.

The '36 was driven by the Mill's sales guys, I want to say that car had a heck of a lot of miles on it, like over 100k?
                  The security guard let us in to look over the car, they are kept in special garage. There was a spare fender and bumper in there for the Tbird.
                  Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Here is the site with a bit of history on the stainless steel cars down with Ford:

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

needs the rat rod treatment - budd wheels , frying pan for aircleaner ...horse shoes for bumpers --ammoboxes on the running boards

Comment

Specializing in restoration and reproduction parts for 1957 thru 60 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. Also other 50's and 60's Cadillac parts and restoration. Expert air suspension rebuilding. Major emphasis and specialization in the Eldorado Brougham series cars. Nothing less then 100% concours quality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                          "Long before the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham and the DeLorean became famous for their use of stainless steel"

eldorados are made of stainless steel?
                          The roof was on some of them.
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I was told once that they choose 36 to do first because the hard stainless ruined the stamping die's for the sheet medal, and 37 used different die's that where already on hand. That tid-bit came from a family friend that worked at Bethleham steel back in the day.

Would anyone on here, in todays world, pay more for a new car if it were made of stainless, say at a cost diff. of 10K more?
                            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13

Would anyone on here, in todays world, pay more for a new car if it were made of stainless, say at a cost diff. of 10K more?
                              I would at least consider it. Today's drivetrains are increasingly more reliable; its the rest of the car that returns to dust. A rustless body would increase a car's lifespan by quite a bit.

Hmmm...
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X