Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are you going to retire?

Originally posted by DanStokes
    Todd - something will come along for you. Or someone. Sorry it's a tough go right now, but someone a whole lot smarter than I am said "This too shall pass". Or as my Angel told me (that's another story!) "Everything always works out".

Dan
    Thanks Dan, but without getting too far into it, I wont be looking for anyone else. I cant ask anyone to endure living with me ever again, so I have to figure out how to be me and find motivation to keep building cars. I need to keep moving, I need to be busy, but really nobody should be involved with me as anything more than a friend. I just need to figure out if I can handle the loneliness of winter up here or not.

Comment

Damnit Todd - we need to figure out this "beam me up Scotty" deal - so guys like us can hang out at a moments notice.

Winters have gotten tougher and tougher for me the last several years. We've got to meet some day.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ely will likely be a fall back plan for me, especially if I get my garage/shop built. The winters could be tough, but there are tons of senior citizens living here. I should have this house paid off around the time I'm 42 years old, so I could live very cheaply here (and have a shop!). I'd only sell this house if I'm down to only owing like $40,000 on another house in a more desirable location. I have a decent 401k going, isn't making any money for me lately, but at least it hasn't gone below the dollar amount I've put into it plus what my company matches.

I could see me ultimately living in a slightly more temperate climate, like southern Colorado or middle/southern Utah (I can't believe I just said that!). I want mountain scenery, so I don't really want to go to the plains states. From my relatively limited travels overseas, I rather settle in the good ol' US of A. Every guy (3 or 4) I know that has settled in Thailand or the Philippines I get a creepy vibe to them and none of them actually have any real possession outside of what you can carry in a few pieces of luggage. I'm kinda fond of my "stuff" so far.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I know if I'm lucky enough to retire I will stay here in michigan. I only want enough land to have a small 40' x 60' pole barn on and the ability to travel like my in laws do. i hope to build cars for me and my freinds so I can stay busy, and keep racing until i'm done.
          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

I'm gonna stay retired right here.....

I heard that the Costa Ricans like to take whatever Americans leave laying around (houses, furnishings, etc) so don't bring much with you if you move there. Or keep an eye on it all the time.

My wife can retire from her cushy Civil Service job at 55, that's only 6 years away. I haven't heard her say anything about moving.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

IF I can retire at some point, I'm heading someplace warm. I'm 36 and the winters up here are hell on my arthritis. I can only imagine what it will be like in 30 years.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

I'm about 4-5 years away.
                We've got everything paid for and stuffing the mattress.

My wife is leaving her job next summer and plans
                on traveling with me a bit.

We like the Santa Fe, NM area.......albeit a little pricey.
                Love any place with mountains.

I've got a good friend who bought 40 acres outside Silver City, NM
                and we looked in that area as well.......but think it's just tad too remote.
                He and his wife now spend lots of time going to Tucson.

Kids and grand kids are around here so that'll probably play in the
                decision.
                Even after I leave my current job I still plan on working.......I'm not one who
                can sit around.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'm going to die at my desk. Serves the SOBs right. ;D

Controlling my time is more important to me. I like what I do, but if I want to travel for a couple of weeks, I want that freedom. If I want to come in at 9:00 am instead of 8:00 that's what I want to do. In a lot of ways, I'm getting to that point, given the years I've spent with this company.

Retiring to me would be to open another business that I'd enjoy doing. Its not to stop working...I don't want to become the Lovely Donna's barn bitch.

The problem with any other business is that it would probably be something that I currently ENJOY as a hobby. My experience is that changing one master for another can sour the enjoyment.

So screw it, I'm going to die at my desk.

Comment

I would go to costa rica to train contras
                    I can't retire - wifee , the state of florida , cruel employers and the new administration have guaranteed no retiring for me

Comment

retire,,, thats a word that will be in the history books before I get there..
                      I got 25 years till 65, and I don't see me retired at 65..
                      if all the starts aline..
                      I'd retire to Hawaii.. but more than likely will see a pine box in the dirt in this blated state..
                      at this point I'd take a job I love over retirement everytime,,

Comment

There's about 40 years to go for me... we'll see when that time comes, but methinks we'll stay right here.

The Pacific Northwest is nice in the summer... hmmm... I'd move there now if a real good job opportunity came along.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Feb 10 2009 I officially retired from the State Of California at the age of 39.....I put in 20 years......but during that 20 years I socked away everything I could....I bought years of service credit from CalPERS....so as it stands.... I'm 40....with 35 years of service credit.....I don't get my full pension til I'm 55.......which will be 90% of my highest grossing annual income when I was working.Right now I get full medical for my family and 1100.00 a month. So technically I'm retired in Crapifornia.....but I'd like to move to wherever I can hit SCAN on my radio and not a single "SPANISH" radio station comes on....cause the last 15 years 5 nights a week all I've heard is a GD Mariachi Banda playin all friggin night.
                          But for now....refer to my other thread about my dream house that we just finished signing papers on....... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And BTW.....I'm still working 40+ hours a week at our screenprinting and embroidery business......maybe I'll retire from this at 55 too !
                          The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman
                            Feb 10 2009 I officially retired from the State Of California at the age of 39.....I put in 20 years......but during that 20 years I socked away everything I could....I bought years of service credit from CalPERS....so as it stands.... I'm 40....with 35 years of service credit.....I don't get my full pension til I'm 55.......which will be 90% of my highest grossing annual income when I was working.Right now I get full medical for my family and 1100.00 a month. So technically I'm retired in Crapifornia.....but I'd like to move to wherever I can hit SCAN on my radio and not a single "SPANISH" radio station comes on....cause the last 15 years 5 nights a week all I've heard is a GD Mariachi Banda playin all friggin night.
                            But for now....refer to my other thread about my dream house that we just finished signing papers on....... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And BTW.....I'm still working 40+ hours a week at our screenprinting and embroidery business......maybe I'll retire from this at 55 too !
                            Still no spanish on the radio up here, unless you get skip from somewhere else. We have lots os snow though, and no dragstrips.

Comment

I wanna go back to the midwest. Omaha, maybe. Or, Kansas City area. Maybe, right on the Lake of the Ozarks.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Scott - that surprises me to hear with all the connections you have in SoCal - the traffic and the cost of living getting to you?

Midwest - Nebraska - that's funny. Growing up in Chicagoland - I think of Nebraska as part of the plains states, interested how perspectives are different based on where you grow up.

There's something to be said for living where you can afford a nice chunk of ground, but there are down sides to that as well - like 30 minute drives to get groceries. Atleast summit, rockauto, jegs, and the like all ship quick!
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X