Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are you going to retire?

Off the wall subject I know...
    We have been adding it up and God willing might end up in Costa Rica....I hope the economy turns around, and I'd like to whats left of me to be stuck in the ground in the Irish family farm in Kentucky (actually I have 20 acres there) but like I said adding it all up...the house here and all the other stuff...I'd love to have my last years here in the USA...but I don't think it's going to happen.
    I know some of you are retired, so I'd like some wisdom....I've got a few bucks, just scared to invest right now.
    If our income doesn't decreace in the next 20 years and if we can still get our ss and 401k and we sell everything we have. I might be able to squeak it out in a hut in Costa-Rica......
    Pretty sad huh? I guess I better work a little harder.....I'm kinda thinking it's cool...but Sandy...not so much...20 years will go by pretty fast, and I want to marry her some day....but I need a plan when I tell her Dad ( my drinking buddy)
    Probably sounds easy....but to a guy with ADD not so much....
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: Where are you going to retire?

when it comes time to retire, you may have medical needs that wont easily be treated in a foreign country... keep that in mind.

Of everywhere I've been around this country, I'd choose to retire in Squirrel's home town in the high desert of AZ.

Comment

My personal pipe dream is a farm in Vermont.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Back to Colorado or Arizona - but I'll probably have to work right up to the big dirt nap.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

This is a tough one for me - believe it or not at almost 40, I've already given this allot of thought.

My folks have a condo in florida and one in the 'burbs of Chicago where I grew up. It works for them - both nice places with no maintenance required - which gives them the freedom to do whatever they want - no lawn mowers or string trimmers required. But the problem with those type of places? Not too friendly to car guys - and generally have small garages.

I would love to find a place (There are several US states I've not yet been to) where it rarely if ever gets below freezing, but also rarely if ever gets over 90 for long - and is NOT crazy humid in the summer. I can deal with heat - I'm not a big fan of humidity.

I'm also not sure I want to have two places - but if we do end up going that way - one of them has to be a no maintenance deal - I don't want two lawns to mow, two sets of gutters to clean, etc....

A friend of mine took an early out from GM and had things all set up to run a dive shop / water ski instruction school / power glider rental / etc business down in Panama. He owned property - sent his mastercraft and all his scuba and power gliders down there in containers - He made a go of it for a few years - never made much money - ended up getting divorced, selling out - and moving to Tampa Florida - long story - but - I don't think the romance of living in a tropical foreign country turns out to be reality - there's a lot of red tape, taxes, complications with international banking and US accounts - and don't forget American's are hated in many other parts of the globe.

I think having a large enough boat to cruise the oceans sounds like a dream - as long as your packing enough heat to fend off pirates in the carribean.

Man - I'm no help at all am I?

To me - retirement will have phases - I hope to retire from my corporate America job early enough to make a go at building hot rods for profit in my retirement - and doing all the things that limited vacation will not allow me to do - like the power tour and drag week and bonneville speed week and bringing home rust free cars from Squirrel's neck of the woods - all in the same year!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            My personal pipe dream is a farm in Vermont.
            With Andy for a neighbor too !
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'll go/stay wherever the kids land. With their personalities though, they'll more than likely stay close to us. We already want to move further up into the mountains (want about 10 acres) and that's where we'll more than likely stay. Both Michelle and I were born and raised in S/W Denver and our families are all still here.

Foreign country?...not so much, maybe a visit now and then but not a permanent address.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I will have my meger pension...I think I will end up right here in Arizona...dont want to...hate it here...but...you sacrifice for the family....

I have a 401K like investment plan as well...I will have about 100K in it by the time I retire...not much but it will help...

I would LOVE to retire in a hut in Costa Rica...you say that like its a bad thing....my father in law retired to Thailand...he leads a rough life....
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  I don't think the romance of living in a tropical foreign country turns out to be reality - there's a lot of red tape, taxes, complications with international banking and US accounts - and don't forget American's are hated in many other parts of the globe.
                  My belief also. I have known a person or two who have retired out of the country but in areas they had already been very familiar with. Generally it doesn't work out, best to just visit.

Me I want a mobile home in the desert. No yard mainainence at all, I've had enough of that in my life. We'll travel in a motorcoach in the summer, stay home in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                    Retirement? What is this thing? I know nothing of this retirement... mine will probably be in a pine box.
                    Yep, same here! My Wife will have one Hell of an Auction when I Croak, stay tuned for details!

Comment

OK - here's the deal from an actual retired guy.

First a bit of background. I had a MAJOR heart attack at 55 (almost 56). I worked another year for the Gov but if I'm honest with myself I didn't earn my salary - I just could not do what I used to do. And the cold weather was kicking my butt in ways that I wouldn't have thought possible. So we (ME and I) decided that we HAD to get me someplace fairly warm.

So the hunt began. Our youngest son was doing his first year teaching in Wilmington, NC. We didn't know there WAS a Wilmington, NC. So we came to visit. It's a BEAUTIFUL place, being almost in the far SE corner of NC, and seacoast. Taxes not too bad (although the locals scream bloody murder) and the real estate prices at that time were a bargain compared to Ann Arbor, MI. As far as weather - central air is a necessity as is heat. We didn't move primarily for the summers or winters but mostly for the springs and falls, which are glorious and go on for months, unlike MI where they last a day - sometimes less.

So we made our plans, sold the house in MI, and moved here about 6 years ago. It's a great place to live and the only down side is the distance from the kids - and GRANDKIDS!

There is a Grandma gene that is activated upon the birth of the first grand and it IS a force of nature. Nothing you can do will stop it or even slow it down. So travel is an integral part of our budget and it just has to be that way. If Grandkid visiting needs to take place in the winter I just stay here and let ME go. Bottom line - this may not seem like an issue now but if you have kids you'll need to plan for Grandparent trips (assuming that they reproduce).

You will not have enough money unless you hit the Lotto. Don't worry about it - you'll get by. Sometimes it's annoying that I don't have all the money I'd like to have but I'm pretty much able to do what I want to do, eventually.

I really liked my job. But that said, retirement is the best job I've ever had. Only problem is - you never know when you're done.

Dan

Comment

I was forcibly 'retired' at age 35, now I am 41. I moved up here to enjoy it with a good woman. Now I am trying to figure out where I should, or even could live, or if I should stay here alone. I love the UP, but the winters were tough enough when she was here. The isolation and limitations of winter here will probably be too much for me to stand by myself. The reasons why I was 'retired' against my will are huge reasons why I cant live alone under those conditions presented by winter. Nebraska isnt any better for me, and moving would be a logistical nightmare and cost me a years worth of paychecks to accomplish.

Wherever I live, I have to have something similar to here. Out of town, enough room to do what I want, a shop big enough to rebuild two cars at the same time, and someplace to east, sleep, wash the funk off, and a way to keep my dogs from getting lost or hit by cars. Not exactly easy to find in my price range, unless I sell all my cars and then whats the point of having a shop and tools to rebuild them? I am in a catch 22.

I would much rather still be on active duty and deploying every few months than living like this.

Comment

Todd - something will come along for you. Or someone. Sorry it's a tough go right now, but someone a whole lot smarter than I am said "This too shall pass". Or as my Angel told me (that's another story!) "Everything always works out".

Dan

Comment

Costa Rica is a beautiful country. I've been there a few times in the last 2 years and was there for 2 weeks last month for work. If you've got enough saved up and can adjust to the Tico way of life, I say go for it. It doesn't hurt that their domestic beer, Imperial, is one of the best I've had ;D

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                            The isolation and limitations of winter here will probably be too much for me to stand by myself.

Wherever I live, I have to have something similar to here. Out of town, enough room to do what I want, a shop big enough to rebuild two cars at the same time, and someplace to east, sleep, wash the funk off, and a way to keep my dogs from getting lost or hit by cars. Not exactly easy to find in my price range, unless I sell all my cars and then whats the point of having a shop and tools to rebuild them? I am in a catch 22.
                            That's when you head down to the middle of the country. We have all 4 seasons in KY/TN and none of them are too bad...all kinds of price ranges too.
                            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

We're staying right here. And as far as retiring I probably won't for one reason. My dad retired 5 years ago and I'
                              ve already noticed him slowing down a bit, mentally I mean. I work with the elderly and the ones that get up a 7 am every morning and go do something are way better off than the ones that don't do anything. I'll always have some kind of job, even if it's part time, just to get my ass out bed every morning and have a purpose. I have half a dozen co-workers that are in their 70s and they do the job just as well as the 30 year olds.
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X