Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    Re: Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

I have a boatload of snap on made in USA tools

Leave a comment:

• 88 Dippy
    replied

most of my tools are from HF. out of school got a job needed tools and did not have alot of money

pretty much went in witht he mind set of if it breaks i will have the money for a snap on. so far they have been holding out better then the bigger brand name tools :o

even the cheap 21 gallon air compressor i bought and air tools :D

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

+1 Randal, I've had good luck with Napa's tools lately. I don't know who makes them, but to me they feel like they were made 30 years ago, and seem TOUGH! Got a 1/2" and big 1" breaker bar for the monster nuts on my truck's front hubs... after killing the Craftsman versions (albeit with waaaay too much leverage, the old iron pipe trick)

The Napa tools, I think they were made a long time ago, maybe in the USA< and maybe they just took forever to sell them or something like that?

Meanwhile, Harbor Freight stuff has been doing good for me as long as it's not a power tool. Harbor Freight's pneumatic tools have been *awesome* - I used the Flooring nailer for about 1200 square feet of 3/4" hardwood - and a small HF compressor too (oiled) - then I loaned them to my boss, showed him how to set them up and use them. now one of my employees just finished doing his own wood flooring with this setup - including a Brad nailer, and Finish nailer. Good shit!

Also, I think it's lame to assume that Chinese manufacturers copy everything - they may have copied some stuff, just like some people in the US used to do. It's racist to think that ethics are based on the fact that a company is based in China. And besides, chinese manufacturing has been facing the same situation as doestic stuff did years ago - that's why all the latest new stuff at harbor freight is manufactured in INDIA.

Leave a comment:

• yogreasygramma
    replied

This is too bad. My dad always used Craftsman and so have I. I bought a bunch about 4 years ago, and they were all metal, so I presume this was prior to the K-mart takeover, and still better quality than those tested in that thread?

What about SATA tools? Are they made in Taiwan? The brand is owned by the Danaher Group, which also owns Matco, KD and Allan, correct? Which of these brands are made in the US? Any opinions on the quality and durability of any of them?

Leave a comment:

• nickleone
    replied

My first Craftsman tools were made in JAPAN. I got them when I was 12,50 years ago.
    They were stolen about 15 years ago.
    Low price does not mean a lack of quality. Good looking tools is not an indication of quality either.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

I know there's a hydraulic repair place in Ann Arbor - or was, anyhow. Didn't cost much the last time I had one done. That said, the HF unit I have now is so cheap that if it fails they just send it back to Korea and make a Hyundai out of it and I'll start over with a new HF. I've had it for 10 years or so and it's been fine if somewhat clunky.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 64casteel
    replied

kobalt is stepping up to the plate with there warranty and tools, and they have about the most cofortable tools out there

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

OK - I'll have to look - maybe a forklift place? there's a zillion of those around here.

One of these days I'll start a thread on my early 50's towmotor forklift - I have to "restore" that thing someday.

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

Floor jacks are easy. Load it into the truck and find your local hydraulic and jack company. They are all over.

They will have a kit and it will be an easy fix.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Speaking of floor jacks (can a guy hijack his own thread?)

Who knows about rebuilding floor jacks? Can you just pull them apart and replace o-rings?

I have an old iron 3 ton craftsman that I got for Christmas in the mid 80's... it's a heavy SOB and just recently started leaking - I think it's old enough to be worth rebuilding....

I also have a more recent craftsman - one of the smaller ones that lifts up on the first pump to the load, then lifts from there - great when it works - great for quick side of the road tire changes - but - it's leaking now too! >

Leave a comment:

• Gary 351C
    replied

Lately I've been hearing not so good things about craftsman also. Recently I was looking for a new floor jack and the reviews for the Craftsman were awful, most of them said the seals blew within the first few months. I ended up buying one of those A/C Delco jobs from Kragen, the last floor jack I bought from that same Kragen lasted 18 years. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with this one.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Maybe I'll check out some tools from Lowe's - I hear you Chad on them being easier to find that Sears these days.

Home Depot is closer - but I generally like Lowe's better for a lot of things - especially lighting and plumbing fixtures.

I digress.

I like allot of tool brands - I will consider anything that's a good value - being made in the USA is certainly a huge plus.

Cornwell
    Lisle
    Napa brand (can't recall the name - but I've heard other stories like those from Randal's Dad)
    S - K
    Stanley (are they still US made?)
    Channel lock
    Kline (makes some of the best screw drivers and pliers for electrical / anything work I've ever seen.)

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

Craftsman no longer warranties anything but hand tools for life. And even then there are some fine print issues that can be a nightmare if you have the "perfect" Sears employee who wants to follow the letter of the law.

Personally, I have a lot of Husky tools. I bought a big set years ago and loved it. Now they don't sell nearly as many cool tools as they used to, but mine are good and they are still warrantied for anything.

Kobalt makes some nice tools too, and they are also always under warranty. Plus, Lowes are everywhere now, just like Home Depot. Way easier to find than a sears usually. LOL

Although you can buy Craftsman tools at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) now too.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

I actually like NAPA tool quality. I don't know who makes them, but I've been happy with the quality and durability for what I do with them. But my old man is big on them too, and he says his NAPA tools out last his and his co-worker's Snap-On tools and take more of a beating. He's a fleet mechanic, on 18-wheelers and off-highway equipment.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Yea - I'm thinking the best place for tools now is garage sales and pawn shops.

New craftsman ratchets are junk - I though it was just the 1/4" drives - but this shows otherwise - I'm not sure about how the guy tested them using a torque wrench - would have been nice of him to include a picture of his "test rig" but regardless - this is depressing, but I guess what we should have expected from Sears - now that they're owned by Kmart!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X