Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

I know there's a hydraulic repair place in Ann Arbor - or was, anyhow. Didn't cost much the last time I had one done. That said, the HF unit I have now is so cheap that if it fails they just send it back to Korea and make a Hyundai out of it and I'll start over with a new HF. I've had it for 10 years or so and it's been fine if somewhat clunky.

Dan

Comment

My first Craftsman tools were made in JAPAN. I got them when I was 12,50 years ago.
      They were stolen about 15 years ago.
      Low price does not mean a lack of quality. Good looking tools is not an indication of quality either.

Nick

Comment

This is too bad. My dad always used Craftsman and so have I. I bought a bunch about 4 years ago, and they were all metal, so I presume this was prior to the K-mart takeover, and still better quality than those tested in that thread?

What about SATA tools? Are they made in Taiwan? The brand is owned by the Danaher Group, which also owns Matco, KD and Allan, correct? Which of these brands are made in the US? Any opinions on the quality and durability of any of them?
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

+1 Randal, I've had good luck with Napa's tools lately. I don't know who makes them, but to me they feel like they were made 30 years ago, and seem TOUGH! Got a 1/2" and big 1" breaker bar for the monster nuts on my truck's front hubs... after killing the Craftsman versions (albeit with waaaay too much leverage, the old iron pipe trick)

The Napa tools, I think they were made a long time ago, maybe in the USA< and maybe they just took forever to sell them or something like that?

Meanwhile, Harbor Freight stuff has been doing good for me as long as it's not a power tool. Harbor Freight's pneumatic tools have been *awesome* - I used the Flooring nailer for about 1200 square feet of 3/4" hardwood - and a small HF compressor too (oiled) - then I loaned them to my boss, showed him how to set them up and use them. now one of my employees just finished doing his own wood flooring with this setup - including a Brad nailer, and Finish nailer. Good shit!

Also, I think it's lame to assume that Chinese manufacturers copy everything - they may have copied some stuff, just like some people in the US used to do. It's racist to think that ethics are based on the fact that a company is based in China. And besides, chinese manufacturing has been facing the same situation as doestic stuff did years ago - that's why all the latest new stuff at harbor freight is manufactured in INDIA.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

most of my tools are from HF. out of school got a job needed tools and did not have alot of money

pretty much went in witht he mind set of if it breaks i will have the money for a snap on. so far they have been holding out better then the bigger brand name tools :o

even the cheap 21 gallon air compressor i bought and air tools :D

Comment

I have a boatload of snap on made in USA tools

Comment

lets see sears 300 piece tool sets 129.oo of course they had to cut somewhere,,
                'sears is owned by the japs now ,(good 10 years now)
                kolbalt is a sub of snap on..
                like everything, you get what you payfor..
                and for 90% of the people the craftman stuff is more than good enough..
                craftmans breaks they replace it..
                harbor frieght isn't everywhere, and 75% of their sales are online, so it breaks it get deep 6'd..
                best tools i've bought are snap on..
                but for most people snap on is overkill..
                just like klein is overkill for the run of the mill diy person..
                but electrical guys don't leave home without them..

Comment

Say what you will, but everything I use daily is
                  from the "Big Three".
                  Snap-On, MAC, and Matco have taken very good care of
                  me over the years, will find specialty stuff(except for the LSI head both chaser ???)
                  when its not in their catalog, and not kill me on the prices.

I have a few Craftsman stuff still, but I mostly don't
                  use it cause if I do, it will break, and Sears is on the other side of town.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                    l
                    Actually, Kobalt is owned by Danaher, who ownes Matco

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob
                      l
                      Actually, Kobalt is owned by Danaher, who ownes Matco
                      I wwas told by the rep. it was snap..
                      either way, they are fair toold for the price..

Comment

I'll stick with the big three.

Comment

the issue here is that sears, to stay afloat (wallyworld/h,f/etc)
                          has two lines of craftsman tools, in almost everything..
                          the cheaper run of the mill stuff(the stuff in most of their stores)
                          and the pro line.. that most retail stores don't stock..
                          the 89 buck routor is nothing like the 249.oo one I bought.. both craftsman,, but ones made for the woodworker, and one for the guy that might use it 5 times in 20 years..
                          even snap on breaks.. but I must say my 1/2 drive swivel long handle ratch. is almost unbreakable..
                          best 190.oo I ever spent on a hand tool for sockets

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                            If I were using the tools professionally - so would I.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the issue here is that sears, to stay afloat (wallyworld/h,f/etc)
                              has two lines of craftsman tools, in almost everything..
                              the cheaper run of the mill stuff(the stuff in most of their stores)
                              and the pro line.. that most retail stores don't stock..
                              the 89 buck routor is nothing like the 249.oo one I bought.. both craftsman,, but ones made for the woodworker, and one for the guy that might use it 5 times in 20 years..
                              even snap on breaks.. but I must say my 1/2 drive swivel long handle ratch. is almost unbreakable..
                              best 190.oo I ever spent on a hand tool for sockets

Even I break them, but they back em, and they bring em over,
                              with a phone call, and a smile.
                              Even the Pro-line stuff the Craftsman is crap,
                              I don't like the feel, the ergonomics, etc.
                              Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Originally posted by min301
                              If I were using the tools professionally - so would I.

I do, so I did.
                              ;D
                              Update me on what we talked about, IM or PM, i don't care.
                              Even e-mail me...later Scott.

Comment

I have bought a bunch of hand tools from WalMart, Stanley brand. WM is a mile from the house, so I browse and buy. If something breaks (which they do), I call the 800#, saved on my cell, and they are shipped to the house free. No questions asked. :o
                                Living the dream!

Comment

Working...
                                X