Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

:'(
    Just out of sheer curiosity I picked up a Harbor Freight Pittsburg brand ratchet and I already had a new Craftsman 1/2 standard ratchet. First let me say I have a high respect for Craftsman as I have used them for years with no issues but lately quality seems to be slipping according to some. To...
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

Gotta face it, Craftsman is not what it once was.

My last couple of Craftsman powered items (lawnmower, chainsaw) have been absolute garbage...only lasted a few hours each before some type failure. Warranty service means standing in line with 50 other angry people. No more, sorry Sears.

For the most part my 20-year old Craftsman stuff is still good.

Comment

so the chinese stole a different design? who the biscuit cares? to imply that the chinese make anything better would suggest that they have finally made something on their own..... last I check the only thing chinese brought us was silk; and that they got from the arse of worms.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Overall either will get the job done as even at 225Lbs of torque it is way more than most people will ever pull that shot a ratchet by hand.
        I have yet to have any ratchet go beyond 100.
        there is something strange about this guys test.

if a chunk of 60kpsi is in the craftsman, the small thicker gearing is gonna win.. not only in ease of lube, there is less area to "ratchet". I have broken and witnessed all the others with lifetime guarnatees... the half inch ratchet is a nightmare.

any going for lifetime has strong guts.. donlt eben know the words for the pieces. if it has got a gear? is is going to FAIL.
        the other pieces can really go to big foot pounds.

time to show my favorite home made tool, I made a breaker out of ratchet parts that keeps surviving.:

thisone is a provalue at napa or wherever... I bought it for the swap after breaking it (I know I am going to break it) and never bothered. I just made it my own. :
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Interesting comparison. One thing that's interesting to me - when I was a kid, "Made in Japan" meant "junk". I mean, made out of recycled tin cans and so on (I had friction cars where you could still read "Band Aid" on the inside of the body, and I'm not kidding). Now, 'Made in Japan" means you're getting some of the better stuff - TV's, stereos, etc.

Well, "Made in Taiwan" is moving up the ladder. For example, Kimco scooters are pretty good and have a parts network, etc. "Made in China (or Sri Lanka or others)" means you have no idea of what's in there. ME has a nephew who lived in Taiwan for many years and he says the difference is that Taiwan figured out that if they were going to make it financially as a nation (the Taiwanese think they are a nation, even if China does not) they better figure out how to make decent stuff, even if it drives the price up a bit.

The interesting thing to me is that HF has decided to buy from Taiwan instead of China or India. I wonder if ratchet failures were eating their lunch so they decided to move up the ladder a smidge. Just guessing there.

Anyhow, what I don't like about the ratchet in the piece is that the head is kind of big and clunky. I have a 1/2 drive Proto that I've had since 1965 - tough as nails but there's lots of places the darn thing just won't fit. I'm sticking with my Snap-On ratchets (I have 'em in all sizes) and I'll cheap out a bit on the sockets as long as they have a warranty.

It would be interesting to know where the Craftsman was sourced. Craftsman hand tools (sockets, ratchets, wrenches and so on) may come from Danaher (sp?) or Stanley, depending on who got the contract that year. I don't know how consistent the product is based on the actual manufacturer.

Dan

Comment

I have had sears replace a lot of 3/8"ratches...I gave up and bought a snapon several years ago.....

Although that 20 yr old sears stainless 1/2" drive ratchet I have is great.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yea - I'm thinking the best place for tools now is garage sales and pawn shops.

New craftsman ratchets are junk - I though it was just the 1/4" drives - but this shows otherwise - I'm not sure about how the guy tested them using a torque wrench - would have been nice of him to include a picture of his "test rig" but regardless - this is depressing, but I guess what we should have expected from Sears - now that they're owned by Kmart!

Comment

I actually like NAPA tool quality. I don't know who makes them, but I've been happy with the quality and durability for what I do with them. But my old man is big on them too, and he says his NAPA tools out last his and his co-worker's Snap-On tools and take more of a beating. He's a fleet mechanic, on 18-wheelers and off-highway equipment.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Craftsman no longer warranties anything but hand tools for life. And even then there are some fine print issues that can be a nightmare if you have the "perfect" Sears employee who wants to follow the letter of the law.

Personally, I have a lot of Husky tools. I bought a big set years ago and loved it. Now they don't sell nearly as many cool tools as they used to, but mine are good and they are still warrantied for anything.

Kobalt makes some nice tools too, and they are also always under warranty. Plus, Lowes are everywhere now, just like Home Depot. Way easier to find than a sears usually. LOL

Although you can buy Craftsman tools at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) now too.
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Maybe I'll check out some tools from Lowe's - I hear you Chad on them being easier to find that Sears these days.

Home Depot is closer - but I generally like Lowe's better for a lot of things - especially lighting and plumbing fixtures.

I digress.

I like allot of tool brands - I will consider anything that's a good value - being made in the USA is certainly a huge plus.

Cornwell
                    Lisle
                    Napa brand (can't recall the name - but I've heard other stories like those from Randal's Dad)
                    S - K
                    Stanley (are they still US made?)
                    Channel lock
                    Kline (makes some of the best screw drivers and pliers for electrical / anything work I've ever seen.)

Comment

Lately I've been hearing not so good things about craftsman also. Recently I was looking for a new floor jack and the reviews for the Craftsman were awful, most of them said the seals blew within the first few months. I ended up buying one of those A/C Delco jobs from Kragen, the last floor jack I bought from that same Kragen lasted 18 years. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with this one.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Speaking of floor jacks (can a guy hijack his own thread?)

Who knows about rebuilding floor jacks? Can you just pull them apart and replace o-rings?

I have an old iron 3 ton craftsman that I got for Christmas in the mid 80's... it's a heavy SOB and just recently started leaking - I think it's old enough to be worth rebuilding....

I also have a more recent craftsman - one of the smaller ones that lifts up on the first pump to the load, then lifts from there - great when it works - great for quick side of the road tire changes - but - it's leaking now too! >

Comment

Floor jacks are easy. Load it into the truck and find your local hydraulic and jack company. They are all over.

They will have a kit and it will be an easy fix.
                          "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

OK - I'll have to look - maybe a forklift place? there's a zillion of those around here.

One of these days I'll start a thread on my early 50's towmotor forklift - I have to "restore" that thing someday.

Comment

kobalt is stepping up to the plate with there warranty and tools, and they have about the most cofortable tools out there
                              The youngest guy on the board
                              76 vega
                              86 fiero

Comment

Working...
                              X