Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craftsman FAILS vs..... Pitsburg / Harbor freight ratchet?

I split a 24 year old blue point compothane dead blow hammer
    got it replaced with a snap on new style dead blow - free good deal

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      Yup, no call to a 1-800, call your dealer.
      No waiting for the mail.

Comment

first question axed
        anything broken today ?

Comment

Originally posted by min301
          Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          Yup, no call to a 1-800, call your dealer.
          No waiting for the mail.
          The wait could be a pain, but I try to have a couple back ups for frequently used stuff.
          Living the dream!

Comment

This reminds me of ME's violins. You can buy a serviceable fiddle for $100 at a pawn shop. You may be lucky and even get one that'll stay in tune. Or go online and buy one for $150 but it'll be set up wrong and hell to play (or so they tell me).

She has several fiddles - carbon fiber, an 1800ish, German (nice fiddle but not a big sound), a 1950 German that's for sale (she just doesn't play it), and a 1780s Chappuy (French) that's an AMAZING piece and worth a serious amount of cash. She also has a cheap viola and several other instruments. But they're all tools for purpose. She plays every day and teaches almost every day so having each of these has a purpose and they're all in her tool box.

I think our tools are the same deal. If Buddy breaks a tool and has to wait a couple of days it's probably not a big deal. But if Min has 10 flat rate hours pending on a job that he can't finish because a tool broke it's costing everyone (Min, the owner, and the Shop) serious money. If ME's viola fails it's no big deal (she doesn't teach viola) but if all of the fiddles are out of commission she can't teach.

Different needs - different tools.

Dan

Comment

-shrug-
              Personally, I'm damn well done and over all the CM bashing BS, so I take it with a grain of salt.
              I have seen a lot of the asia stuff dumped into Sears. Hell, after the whole debacle of Kmart doing bankruptcy, and coming out smelling clean and having the cash to buy sears {seriously, WTF?} and K mart pawns the CM line of tools out to how many different outfits, I give.

I have a majority of CM hand tools, when I worked for a living doing autobody, pretty much all my hand tools were from sears. I got alot of my air tools from HF, because, it does not take a mathematician to add 2+2 to get 4, when I look at the cases of the air tools, and the only difference I see is a "pittsburg" brand or the CM logo on the side of a reverse engineered Ingersoll-Rand or Cleco air tool from 20 years ago.
              I will say, my 1/2 drive Craftsman impact I bought was a Sears parts store rebuild, and after 15 years of pure abuse {but with constant oiling} it has lived and earned it's spot on a trophy shelf when the time comes.

As far as the ratchets...I have used, abused, thrown, dunked in gas, antifreeze, oil, type F, snow, rain, and lord knows what else.
              They all because POS, but you know what? It's called, get a snap ring plier, open the case, clean all the crap out, put in some bearing grease, insert parts back in, and thing works like silk now.
              I have a dozen or so ratchets, and if they feel like they bind up some, I tear apart, clean, and grease, and they are good for a while.
              Then again, seems alot of people can't handle if stuff just isn't perfect.
              {off the soap box}
              :
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
              X