Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

sbc - in the USA from august of 1954 to 2004 in new vehicles -same bore centers and deck height
    still hencho en mexico for replacement

God Bless Ed Cole and Harry Barr

Comment

Re: Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

buick V6 is deff out if it has to retain the original designe.

i could not just put GN heads on my series II 3800 with out alot of work

Comment

Amazed the Buick/Rover 215 isn't in the running...
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Harley V-Twin?
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Harley V-Twin?
            Usually gets reinvented every twenty years.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
              Harley V-Twin?
              Yet they still leak, rattle, vibrate parts off, and generally suck, IMO.

Comment

the flat head ford V8 went from 1932 to the french army into 1979 ?
                318 poly went from 57 - 2000 just changed the heads

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                  Originally posted by Remy-Z
                  Harley V-Twin?
                  Yet they still leak, rattle, vibrate parts off, and generally suck, IMO.
                  and still get the big bucks

Comment

Buick 215 Aluminum V8 went from 61 to 2004 and the vast majority of parts still interchanged despite being built by GM, British Leyland, Land Rover, and BMW over the years. V6 went from 62 to 91 before they really changed it into something that the parts stopped swapping between. Stovebolt 6 went to Japan and lived on in the Land Cruiser till the 90's did it?
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

This discussion raises lots of interesting questions for me.

One of which is, why do the OEMs now piss through engine designs every few years when there is a pleathora of proven designs out there to at least pull pointers from.

Good stuff gents!
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

why do the OEMs now piss through engine designs every few years when there is a pleathora of proven designs out there to at least pull pointers from.
                        Emissions regulations, and Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirements.

Milner could probably talk FOR HOURS about this topic
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
                          Lycoming O-235 1940-present

100% satisfaction guaranteed. Hassle-free shopping. We help you find the right domain name.
                          yeah that one! ;D
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Definitely is one of the more interesting topics of late. I've wondered it myself...what is so hard about engineering the problems out of the engine, instead of going to the clean-sheet design? Gearhead's hindsight proves you can find the extra power that should have been there all along, the reliability issues can be addressed as time goes on...it seems like such a no-brainer but sometimes you have to wonder why the do what they do.

Comment

How long has the OHV Briggs and Stratton been around?

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                                How long has the OHV Briggs and Stratton been around?
                                Briggs and Stratton engines are as bad as the Harley engines...you think it's the same design but the internals are changed. The longest-production one is Model 80200, a horizontal-shaft block that ran from 1960-1997.

Comment

Working...
                                X