Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

I was thinking about this today.

Was it the original small block Chevy?

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

As in you can bolt a head/intake/oil pan, etc. to the first year of the block to the last year of the block and still be functional?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Re: Question: What domestic engine lasted the longest with it's original design?

I'm guessing small block Chevy. Unless it's something like an in-line 6 Cummins diesel.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I think the cleveland ford might be the shortest.

Flat heads ran for a long time - but not as long as the SBC. That's going to be tough to beat. But the diesel idea is a good one - I think the DEEETroits ran for a long long time relatively unchanged.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm just guessing out loud here, but I'm wondering is it's some kind of commercial engine like Continental, Wakesha, Hercules - you know, that kind. I'll wager Briggs & Stratton has some long-in-the-tooth designs as well. Wisconsin made some engines forever, too.

Dan

Comment

I was watching a vid about the new ford exploder based on an even daintier taurus structure...

and as hobo59 commented :

"nothing is going to beat my 4 barrel SBC chevy"

:

One could go international with motorheads knowing what it is.

I left off with seals going to one piece (90ish?)

I would agree it is the chevy SBC... until I think of lycoming/continental.. and my nick here.

:D
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Using the most liberal interpretation for revisions, it still beat the Buick V6, the only engine I could come up with that could give it a run for it's money.

Small Block Chevy 1955-2003 (as installed in vehicles, because it's actually still being made by GM for marine and aftermarket)

And the Buick V6 1962-2008 (as installed in vehicles.)

The Chevy has the Buick by two years.

Comment

My thought for gasoline burning engine would be small block Chevy, but there could be some diesel.

Although, they were still making Flathead V8s up until at least the 70s, and I believe maybe into the 90s for the French military stuff. If it was 1990 let's say, that would be almost 60 years. But since the French flathead isn't quite the same as the Ford, I don't know if it counts.

How about Briggs and Stratton engines?
                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

the 4.3 is a direct descendant of the 265...missing 2 cylinders....still being built. Like the current buick V6, pretty much nothing from a new one fits an early one, although I think you can bolt a 265 water pump onto a 262, probably can't do that with the buicks? maybe you can? but the buicks all FWD now?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

An interesting read that's only GM, but...

It lists an Allison T56/501D Turbo Prop engine as 1954-Present. Does that count? :P

Comment

Kind of a neat subject!

I'm saying anything domestic counts...how's that for wide open? HA!

The Continental Red Seal engine (that powered my Worthington Tractor) was made for a long ass time as well.

Brian

Comment

I like this, 60 years

This is a photo of the plastic bag to my new water outlet gasket.

GM Prod. 4, V6, V8, 1935-95

http://www.youtube.com/Jobergg

Comment

Lohne's - any chance the "red seal" is what's in my 50's towmotor forklift?

I just know it's a 4 banger flat head continental with an updraft zenith carb.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Is the distributor located dead nuts in the middle of the engine, right into the head?

I'd bet that it is. Zillions of fork trucks had those engines in them and they were used to run the generators for the big truck mounted Lincoln welders for many years as well.

Brian

Comment

Buick 215?
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                              X