Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA and NASCAR- whats the matter?

This post is probably beating a dead horse, but here goes-

OK- between here and YB, I hear a lot of folks complaining about both sanctioning bodies and racing in general. A lot of folks say racing used to be better. So my question is, what do you hate about today's racing? What is wrong with it?

My thoughts on some complaints I have heard-

1000' racing (NHRA)- In Mississippi where I grew up, all we had were 1/8 mile tracks and short 1/8 mile tracks (600'). 1000' racing doesn't bother me. It does take some getting used to- the numbers seem really quick.

Mega teams (both)- I understand the premise here- more runs/ laps, more knowledge and better chance of winning. However, I don't really like it when 1/4 of the field of a class all belong to one person (considering team orders- which is not a John Force original, BTW). I think that teams should be no more than 2 cars. Give everyone a chance. Plus it gives more owners a chance for sponsorship.

Domination (both)- Dominating teams have been around for years- how else did Richard Petty get 200 wins and 7 championships? How did Shirley win 3 TF championships? So what is new about this? It is just a mixture of man/ machine/ and moment. They all pass- always have, always will.

Cars that look alike (NASCAR)- Since I can't tell the difference between most production cars these days- they all look alike- I couldn't tell if the current stock car was different from make to make anyway. In fact, I didn't know that they all were the same car but with a different nose until I heard it on TV. :D

Over exposure (both)- while networks focused on one topic (Speed channel) are nice, 24/7 coverage of NASCAR leads to overexposure. Who wants to hear Kenny Wallace explain about how he helped the late great Dale Earnhardt win at Talledaga at 5:00 AM on Wednesday morning? And 3 hours of pre race and 6 hours of post race coverage??? Lets beat a dead horse, please. 30 minutes is enough to cover everything pre race and post race.

And for Pete's sake- it is racing, not a circus! Treat it as such. I don't need a guy shooting T shirts into the stands to kill time. And Jewel is into NASCAR- yeah, right.

Were the old days any better? I am not so sure.

So what is your take?

Re: NHRA and NASCAR- whats the matter?

I think the older fans are never happy..
    in NASCAR they'd cry fowl because all the tracks are in the south, and it's a week long trip to go see one..
    cry'd fowl that the racing isn't close, winner 3 laps ahead of field..
    baseball and others decide to stick it to fans and strike..
    so the public needed something to watch.. while nascar was starting to grow legs and move farther than just mostly the south.. and boom.. the stars aline, Indy car and cart are fighting
    so nascars getting bigger and bigger, the cost are going up, racers and fans complain about the spoiler rule changes and air dam rules changes that happens many times in a season,, racers because of cost.. fans because you gave ford a half inch more air dam, or Chevy more spoiler..
    so beyond that headache, they have the tech in issues of bringing 4 sets of templates and back ups to every race..
    and rebuild them everytime there is a rule change..
    so, in one move they make it easier to tech the car, no more cry'n that ford got this and Chevy got that, and made the cars safer all at once,, cutting the cars cost also..
    now they have tight racing, and races all over the land,, but only pretty boys with no balls,,
    they need one race a year, maybe daytona under the lights,with no plate , let them and the hp from the engine guys, run..

NHRA.. half they're issue IS the tv coverage, sorry the sportsman and brackets might be boring as hell, in the stands after the pros run.
    put with TV channels that are all sports all the time,, some only motorsports, there is no reason not to have shows that spotlight the little guy racing, as it do a few things..
    1) the viewer will see everyday cars running down the track , will see muscle cars and older oddball cars running..
    that are not the spotless pro operations that the viewer knows he/she would never be able to afford, but might see the brackets run, and say, "woe, I could do that, it be fun to try it"
    2) show the pits the thrashes, not just a 5 sec walk by of the engine in pieces ,like they do between t/f rounds.
    to get more in the stands they got to let viewer see cars that they own or could own running down the track..

Comment

I think the TV coverage is fine the way it is, most people I know DVR it anyway, and I can skip through the comericals and the stuff I don't like.
      I think the NHRA should have Pro's only at the National events, and leave the sportsman cars for Divisionals. I would add a few more Pro classes though, so there was more nitro. That's just me being a fan.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

This is NASCAR

This is NOT
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

prices are too higfh and 3 is gone

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
            This is NASCAR

This is NOT
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Nostalgia- most people like it. Look at the HAMB. Those guys think that up until the 70's, all cars were flat black and the whole world was black and white. Unfortunately, colors have existed all along. Troubles have always existed. It wasn't that nice back then...

Now that I sound like Boxer 3 Main... :o

There is no way to reproduce the 70's unless you get car manufacturers to bring back the old car designs and get rid of all the safety innovations that have happened since then. (Although, I bet I could find a snazzy pair of Coke pants that the crew was wearing in that first video.) Sure you had diversity, but do you really enjoy it when a single car dominates? When he runs away and laps the field? That is not exciting racing. All that happens then is people whine about someone having an advantage.

I heard Earnhardt whine about bad racing when everyone was bunched up. All racers would love it if they can run away from the field, but they sure hate it when someone else does it to them. Look at how much folks whine about Jimmy Johnson winning like he has.

I really don't know how to "fix" racing. I am not sure it needs "fixing".

Comment

It's all a circus and has been ruined by GREED.

Comment

Time marches on, things change and evolve, you either like them or you don't. Since I was a kid I loved NASCAR and Formula One. I get up at 4:30 am to watch an F1 race. I'll watch a MYTHBUSTERS re-run before I'll watch NASCAR. "MY" NASCAR is dead and it's not coming back, I accept it.

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I dont watch TV, but if I am somewhere with a tube and drag racing is on I will watch because I rarely get to see a fueler make a pass. Its boring as hell for me to go watch any race in the stands, I would much rather be out there making a pass. If my car isnt there the only thing going through my mind the entire time is I wish I was racing today. I dont watch NASCAR on TV or at the track because cars going in a circles is boring. It was fun when I was a kid, but now I have better things to do with my time.

Maybe there arent enough huge parts flinging cars flying through the air like an A team show crashes, and that is why people are turned off. NHRA has that, they are always blowing stuff up, but the races are short so people dont have much attention span.

If I am not at the track with my car, I really dont give a damn. I have been having this huge nasty urge to make some passes though, gotta get something legal again. I dont think the Formula in my sig will make it down the track with the engine it has, the safety stuff to run 9s is more than I can afford for the nest two years, and it has to be updated every two years or so. I need a slower car to go racing.

Comment

the best racing was 75-91

Comment

it is not racing that is the problem,
                      it is the way auto industry has changed, altering racing.

wisdom knows what is best, and alot should not be called nostalgic.. but what are we gonna do?

Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                        It's all a circus and has been ruined by GREED.
                        TC, once in awhile, you have a true moment of clarity.

Ron
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

look at my plane , my motorcoach , my blah blah blah

momma's boys

Comment

;DSPEEDWAY, Ind. -- Would the Super Bowl be as prestigious if it was held in a nearly half-empty stadium? What about the World Series? Or Kentucky Derby?

When pole-sitter Juan Pablo Montoya took the green flag to start Sunday's Brickyard 400, about 120,000 seats at Indianapolis Motor Speedway were empty.

NASCAR estimated the attendance at 140,000, slightly more than half full. Yet, it was about 15,000 less than the audience at this year's Kentucky Derby. While Sunday's crowd is tied for the third-largest at a Sprint Cup race this season, the sight of so many unoccupied seats presents a daunting picture for a sport where image is important.

Comment

Fuel Injection will be coming NASCAR, perhaps as early as next year.

McLaren?s Ron Dennis was at Indianapolis Motor Speedway last weekend, pitching NASCAR on becoming the supplier of engine management systems for the sanctioning body.

One of the men with a keen interest about what happens with fuel injection is engine builder Doug Yates, who co-owns Roush Yates Engines and supplies powerplants to all the Ford NASCAR teams.

Following are Yates? ideas on the switchover.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON FUEL INJECTION EVENTUALLY COMING TO NASCAR?

"First, I think it?s something we need to do. I think NASCAR needs to move beyond the carburetor and get into a little bit more advanced engine technology.

We?ve been working on it for awhile at the request of NASCAR, but there are still more questions than answers today. It?s something that we need to be smart about. We need to make sure that when it does roll out that everybody understands it and it?s fair for everyone. There are cost implications to it as well, so we need to manage that, especially in these difficult times that we?re going through.

But for me as an engine guy it?s exciting. It?s something new and I think for a person that has young sons that may get into the business, it would be a shame if they?re working on carburetors 20 years from now.

So I think it?s exciting, but, hopefully, NASCAR takes their time and understands that in the grand scheme of things six months doesn?t really mean a whole lot. The biggest thing is that the ball is in NASCAR?s court. They have to select a manufacturer supplier for the system and then from there we need to get together as engine builders and engine suppliers and do our diligence and make sure we roll it out properly."

the cold start drivability will be tremendous , the racing will be far more sterile
                              they should let kinsler , hilborn and crower bid on hi horsepower , less smogger style fi systems

Comment

Working...
                              X