No announcement yet.

What Import Cars Do You Actually Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Import Cars Do You Actually Like?

Having always been attracted to older American V-8 powered cars, I have to admit that there are a few imports I actually like. Very damn few, but I like these cars nonetheless. 8)

The first one is the 75-79 Toyota Corolla. This Toyota, and the Honda below, are probably the only older Japanese cars I'd actually like to own. For that matter, these two are probably the only Japanese cars I like period.

The second one is the 76-81 Honda Accord. I owned an 81 Accord while I was stationed in Great Lakes, Illinois. I bought it off a guy who was transferring for $150. It was beat to hell, but ran great and got great gas mileage. Much as I tried, I couldn't kill the damn thing. I even took it four wheeling once. I managed to tear off the exhaust in the process, but I was still able to get it home ane reinstall the exhaust. Rust finally killed it and I sold it to a guy for $200 so he could pull the motor and transmission for his Accord.

And last but not least, the VW Bug. I owned a 63 Bug that looked just like the one in the photo except mine didn't have a sunroof. That damn thing would go anywhere. One of the first things I did to it was convert it to a 12 volt system and install a 1600 dual port engine. Great little car. Wish I still had it.

So fess up. Any of you hard core gearheads like an import, past or present???

Re: What Import Cars Do You Actually Like?

this one is kinda cool.

Comment

LOL! Funny part aside, but isn't that a Merkur?

Comment

I'll always have a soft spot for the volvo 544, since I learned to drive in one.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thought it was a v-dub

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
            thought it was a v-dub
            Whatever it is, I sure as hell wouldn't haul lumber on it! :D

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
              Having always been attracted to older American V-8 powered cars, I have to admit that there are a few imports I actually like. Very damn few, but I like these cars nonetheless. 8)

I had a 77 Accord identical to this one. It was kind of a hand me down from Dad. He always kept a third car around. Originally, my sister and I were sharing a hopped up 73 Coupe de Ville, but after she did a Bo Duke impression, it was wasted. Dad bought this one. It had the Hondamatic, which was a two speed manual valve body trans axle. Compared to Jennys 77 with the 5 speed; it was a slug. Top speed was a measely 110 mph. It had a weak 83 hp, but it got more than 40 mpg on the highway. Amazing compared to anything the Japanese are making now.

I would love to build one of these into a rear drive screamer. Maybe cram a turbo'd nitrous'd ricer motor in it and seriously mess with people.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Originally posted by HillbillySailor

I had a 77 Accord identical to this one. It was kind of a hand me down from Dad. He always kept a third car around. Originally, my sister and I were sharing a hopped up 73 Coupe de Ville, but after she did a Bo Duke impression, it was wasted. Dad bought this one. It had the Hondamatic, which was a two speed manual valve body trans axle. Compared to Jennys 77 with the 5 speed; it was a slug. Top speed was a measely 110 mph. It had a weak 83 hp, but it got more than 40 mpg on the highway. Amazing compared to anything the Japanese are making now.

I would love to build one of these into a rear drive screamer. Maybe cram a turbo'd nitrous'd ricer motor in it and seriously mess with people.
                I've considered doing something similar with the Corolla if I can find one in fair shape. The Toyota 22R's are a dime a dozen. It should fit in there with no problem. Either that or the Pinto idea I mentioned in another thread. And on another note, I would've like to have seen the Bo Duke impression in the Coupe de Ville!

Comment

I witnessed it from the passenger seat. Measured it. 126 ft 4 inches, then another 22 feet to the next landing from the bounce and 8 feet more to the third. Amazingly, the car drove away and was driven for months afterward until Dad finally got back in it. The whole story is in the Car Abuse thread.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

ROFLMAO! That's the funniest thing I've read in a while! Frankie must've loved seeing your dad coming into the shop! ;) All I can say is that car was a testament to GM engineering (and Frankie's skills) to put up with the abuse she gave it. Try doing half of that stuff in one of today's cars and see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
                      this one is kinda cool.

lol reminds me of something i once did =)

Comment

Healey's of any kind.

Datsun 510's cause they are pure bad ass little cars...

VW bug's... buses...

Lotus Cortina's...

Jaguar's ( I'm okay with being the only one that digs them ) I would have said Bentleys if I could afford them..

Hmmm not many Bmw's or Mercede's will ever see my drive way...

Not a huge Ricer fan... but again I've seen some truly wicked ass ricers that deserve our respect...

My Mother in law has an XB Scion... or whatever that square thing is... and I had to work on it yesterday... so I drove it all over for the morning.... Cool ass gig... no kidding... it was almost as good as the van... only it didn't have as much power... ( now that oughta scare you )

K

Comment

Volvo P1800
                          1964 Chevelle
                          Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                          LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Comment

or my friends LUV from over a decade and a half ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X