Tonneau Covers 1 piece vs rollup and snaps vs velcro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonneau Covers 1 piece vs rollup and snaps vs velcro

So I'm moving cross country and will be putting stuff in the bed and want to keep it dry and somewhat safe. I have a long bed with a tool box in it so that kinda limits me to a certain selection of covers. From ya'lls experience, what is easier to use and holds up better long term?
    1 piece tilt covers (still a vinyl covered aluminum frame, not a fiberglass solid)
    Rollup covers

If it's a roll up, what do ya'll like better?
    Snaps
    Velcro

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Tonneau Covers 1 piece vs rollup and snaps vs velcro

get the tilt on frame..
    they are easy to remove if you have to.. some the vinle snaps to the frame and the centers pop out for bed use that is taller than bed walls without taking the whole thing off..
    snaps over velcro..
    and I had a roll up.. they shrink when rolled and strech in the sun.. if you go this way you'll want snaps.. as you'll be pulling on it to get it back in place and the vercro will not hold it..

Comment

I have had the same snap vinyl cover on two trucks for the last 7 years and could not be happier with it. Like IRONHEAD said, it does shrink in the winter but it doesn't stretch to much in the summer. I try not to take it off in the winter because it is tough to get back on. For the money, you can't beat it. I don't know how they seal around a tool box though.

Comment

Yeah it's a regular cab so the tool box is the "trunk" when you're traveling with someone else. I've thought about modifying the tool box to add some tiedowns and probably won't object to putting a rail across the front of the box to seal the cover to. Probably going to take it into the local 4x4 shop and see what they recommend but I want to have an idea of where to atleast start on asking for advice.

I'm already prejudiced against velcro as my I've never had some that was aggressive enough to stay put that didn't loose it's "stick" pretty quickly.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Check Summit racing and Autoanything.com. The have both with buyers comments. I have had 2 trucks with rollup. Both had velcro. Never had any problems.
          OH YEAH
          Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

i have had three..all were Extang.
            IMO. go with the Trifold...aluminum frame,no drilling,easy to remove..no metal on metal contact on your truck and its fully assembled outta the box!

al

nosnerd
            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

I like these flip up ones. Just flip back as much as you need, easy to use and sturdy, can walk on them if need be. Going to get one for my truck ;)

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I have had a Pace Edwards locking roll top for 5 years and I love it. Added a tailgate lock so we could lock our gear in the back on trips or whatever. Never had a problem and it's held up really good after 4 Canadian winters and even when it gets hot (100f plus) no problems with top material. It's kind off pricey but no regrets.

Comment

I needed one quick and didn't want to spend a ton when we got Lee's Limo in Florida this past spring - I went with the Lund - made in USA and it has an interlocking closure that works well - no snaps or velcro - it's almost like a semi hard weather strip on the cover that fits into the extruded aluminum frame.

Clamps, bows, cover - no drilling.

I THINK you might be able to use a short box cover in a long box with a tool box depending on the size of the tool box.
                  You'll probably have to fabricate brackets of some sort to hold the cab end of the tonneau frame to the tool box, then the rest will install as normal - I've seen this on many trucks - but not seen the details of the mounting system.

I paid $189 for the lund through amazon as I recall - that was including shipping.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X