Some pics of my car and a little town history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics of my car and a little town history

This is out in front of Murrell Belanger's old shop where he kept the 1951 Indy 500 winning car, in Lowell, Indiana.
    It's known around here as number 99 Belanger Special.....
    You can read more about him and his car here: http://www.lowellpl.lib.in.us/belanger.htm
    I'm looking now for a pic of the place back in the day, and if I find it I'll post it up.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: Some pics of my car and a little town history

Tell us about the Camaro too .... I love the G/Ys on the street!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

They don't last long, that's for sure.
      The car is really nothing special, just a 350 on a small shot with a 3500 converter and 5.13 gears.

I've looking through some old pics of Lowell and can't find anything yet, maybe cause I keep getting side-tracked looking at pics of number 99.

Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
        Tell us about the Camaro too .... I love the G/Ys on the street!
        I was going to ask too....How many miles can you get out of a set of those? I think I have around 150, and am going to pick up another set this weeknd. I know a guy that sells them with only a few runs on them for dirt cheap.
        The front runners don't last long either, lol.
        About the building...I still can't find any old pics of it, but I just heard it might be for sale. I really didn't want to get in this far, but I think it would be cool to fix up, upstairs there is an apartment.
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

We went in with some friends on a similar older building on the East side of Nashville TN, that's now a restaurant - orginally built as a pharmacy with apartment upstairs....

old buildings can be a money pit - proceed with eyes wide open!

However - old buildings can be uber coolness too - I've always thought it would be sweet to buy an old fire house - think about it - a gear heads dream! huge parking / working area with floor drains and big doors, plus a living area with kitchen, bath, bunkroom.... PERFECT!

keep us posted - that's a great story on the ol '99.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That's a bitchin camaro! Centerlines always looked right on them

Hope you can find some pics of the building, have you checked for a local historical society? is there a local library?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You know, I was at the libriary a while ago, and there is a little info that I found on a quick browse, maybe a more through search is warrented.
              I am afraid to get to excited, it's probably way out of my league, and money pit is the first thing that comes to mind. I heard it ws last a bicycle shop back in the '80's so it might not be as bad as it appears. I'm going to keep poking around though, it's fun if for nothing more than learning the history.

Thanks for the comment on the car, my friends can only come up with mullet jokes.
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

sweet car!! I 2nd the centerlines awsomeness!!!!!
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Yeah...the centerlines...I wanted a set ever since highschool. It's cool though....I've had a few sets by now, I bought the car on 10/25/88...I'd have to sit and think for a minute how many engines have been in there. I've had a 454 for a while.
                  I think the most amazingthing though, is the engine that's in there now is the one that came with it. I bought another 350 pretty fast after I got the car and pulled that one out. I street raced it for many years, and went through plenty of engines and turbo 350's.
                  Many, many story's with this car....I sent three rods through the block and slid it backwards into a guardrail, at the track..

I'm trying to think of how many engines I've had in that car.....I can think of 10 right now...Is that a record?
                  Originally posted by TC

Comment

No I was wrong....it's 8,
                    I had a 1966 283 once in there....after a few laps around the block I drove my kid to school once, and back home. I think it sat for a month or so before I put another 350 in it...
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

I know where that building is Scott. When I would visit family in Lowell we would pass it on occasion while in town. If I remember correctly, (its been 20 years) there was a car lot across the street?!?!?! Love the ride man, we have to get together soon for some cruisin.....
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17
                      "Stay thirsty my friends"
                      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge
                        I know where that building is Scott. When I would visit family in Lowell we would pass it on occasion while in town. If I remember correctly, (its been 20 years) there was a car lot across the street?!?!?! Love the ride man, we have to get together soon for some cruisin.....
                        I'm going to send you a PM...My schedule is pretty tight right now, but I'm getting my car out every chance I get.
                        There is still plenty of summer left.
                        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                        X