Mom Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom Update

Some of you have asked for a Mom update, so here goes.

Well, we're back from Mom's 90th. Birthday. She was able to sit up and take nourishment but she clearly isn't the lady she was a few months ago. She was, however, clearly the queen of the party and seemed to thoroughly enjoy all the fussing. Members of the family and her friends gathered from far and wide and she was really moved that some folks went so far out of their way to be there. But it's doubtful that she will have a 91st.

Her second chemo was today. I haven't called my brother Dick yet - he's on watch until the 17th or so when I head back down. Hospice has a pretty workable drug regimen going on and she's rarely in pain and we have the tools to handle it if she is.

Dan

Re: Mom Update

Thankis for the update Dan.We will continue to keep your family in our prayers.

Comment

I'll keep praying for your Mom buddy.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers Dan. 90 years is a long time on earth, by anyone's standards. We've lost some parents in our circle (one short of all of them), and it makes us wish we could all do it over again, but a little better than the first time.

peewee
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Thanks for the update Dan, I'm still send thoughts/prayers/positive energy to you, her and your family ... hang in there.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Dan, you know I'm there.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
              Dan, you know I'm there.

And you got my phone#...

Comment

Thanks all! You support means more than I can express.

I just got off the phone w/Bro and he says she's doing great and eating like a pig! This is great news. As said before, the goal is for her to feel good until she feels nothing and it looks like the docs and hospice are taking her there. Second chemo was today and she seems to have pulled thru without a hitch. The goal of the chemo is to shrink the tumor so she'll be more comfortable but a cure is not in the cards. As lond as she's feeling good I'm a happy guy!

My next shift starts August 17th (+/- a day). Not sure how long I'll be down there but I DO plan to make the Sept. Maxton meet.

Anyone have any experience with air cards for internet access. Evidently she lives in a sort of Internet black hole and the commercial carriers offer squat. Any input would be welcome. We have US Cellular and our phones work well there so I'm thinking of taking a US Cell air card with me.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the update. you should be good to go with the air card if you have good reception. It will not be great speeds, but for posting here you should be fine.
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Any input on the US Cellular air card in particular? As stated, their phones have been great - unless you're in or near The Grand Canyon. Everyplace else is darn good, although there is a small stretch in WV between here and Michigan where we lose signal for just a couple of miles - probably related to mountains? Anyhow, I'll take my little Dell laptop as ME will have the MAC laptop and this MAC will stay right here on the desk. So now I'm wandering into the world of air cards AND PCs!

Dan

Comment

Only have experience w/Verizon ...

They work ok for browsing/posting/etc, but kinda slow if you're used to highspeed or dsl. You should be good to go for BS and email stuff. Uploads and downloads will seem like they take forever ....
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

She in my prayers Dan, and also for you and the rest of your family.
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Well wishes and blessings to your mom Dan -
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Dan

I'm with you in spirit my friend - My Dad just got out of back surgery for a pinched nerve - he's a tough guy - but this one has had him down and out - no golf for 4 months or so is going to be hard for him - but hopefully the pain will finally be gone.

Getting old is rough - and the autumn of life can be sad - your family is tremendous to be spending so much time with Mom - she's a lucky lady - and obviously raise you all right!

My maternal Grandmother is still with us in a nice nursing home over looking cape cod - but she doesn't recognize most of us anymore - a darned shame.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                              Any input on the US Cellular air card in particular? As stated, their phones have been great - unless you're in or near The Grand Canyon. Everyplace else is darn good, although there is a small stretch in WV between here and Michigan where we lose signal for just a couple of miles - probably related to mountains? Anyhow, I'll take my little Dell laptop as ME will have the MAC laptop and this MAC will stay right here on the desk. So now I'm wandering into the world of air cards AND PCs!

Dan
                              Glad to hear she is eating and feeling well. I had a very very old US Cellular Air card for work. It was reliable but very slow, but I guess that had more to do with the card being out dated than the service. I would call US Cellular tell them why you want it and ask if you can have 30 days to "test drive it" and if it does not work you want to return it for free.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X