Let's address the Pro Touring thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's address the Pro Touring thing

Pro Touring is not my thing, but that's what makes hot rodding such a neat hobby - you can make your stuff whatever you want it to be. At Bakersfield this past weekend, I got my first real life glimpses of the Rat Rods. Well, those aren't my thing either, but I certainly appreciate the work that goes into them. There actually was one that I thought was very cool.

Personally, I like race cars and I like the traditional hot rod - Pro Street included. I'm also one of few guys who will pull up to a low rider and compliment the guy on his efforts. Different strokes for different folks, but I look at the effort and applaud it no matter what genre the individual is playing in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Demon
      Pro Touring is not my thing, but that's what makes hot rodding such a neat hobby - you can make your stuff whatever you want it to be. At Bakersfield this past weekend, I got my first real life glimpses of the Rat Rods. Well, those aren't my thing either, but I certainly appreciate the work that goes into them. There actually was one that I thought was very cool.

Personally, I like race cars and I like the traditional hot rod - Pro Street included. I'm also one of few guys who will pull up to a low rider and compliment the guy on his efforts. Different strokes for different folks, but I look at the effort and applaud it no matter what genre the individual is playing in.
      You are a gentleman hot rodder. Everyone should adopt your attitude.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I grew up in the Trans-Am era. I personally like a car that is built along those lines.i.e. American, lowered, able to corner... However I still want comfort and convenience.i.e. sound deadener, AC, power windows... Since I can't afford a Ferrari and I feel new cars like the new Mustang or Camaro have no soul, I favor the "Pro-Touring" side of things in an older car.I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Pro Street or any other style it's just not my style. I say if you like it, build it! Don't let anybody, even a former Editor(sorry) tell you whats right or whats wrong. Just my .02. Larry ;D

Comment

Ok heres my take.

I personally like the pro touring CONCEPT but as usual its now only cool if its over the top with 10K front suspensions, 5K in wheels and tires, 5K in brakes, 25K in paint and body etc etc etc. They are now super expensive to build "to standard" and its just kind of crazy.

Now my 73' Nova is kind of going to a term I like to think I coined..."POOR Touring" Same concept as pro touring but with more economical ideas that a good old electrician can afford. This year im doing the rear suspension of the car. Im just going to work over the back end so I can fit a 315 series tire in there. Im going with 4 wheel discs, but the fronts are a mid 80's camaro conversion and the backs are going to be an el-dorado caliper and a celebrity disc fit up with scarebird brackets. My big money item will be my wilwood master cylinder and proportioning valve. Ive been contemplating if Im going to a 17" wheel or not, Hell I dont know. Its just alot of $$ for the return in performace you get. Ive already got a fuel cell and my batterys in the trunk. Whalla, the back end is done. Then its on to the middle. Ive already got a 5 speed richmond and a Long H-pattern shifter so thats done. Then Im thinking EFI with a Mega squirt setup. I may take this on this fall. At this point ill be looking at front end performance Do I really care? Aww hell I dont know. I do know that I can get in my car right now and drive to California if I want. Its runs low 12's high 11's at 116 MPH with my little 350ci and has made 750 mile weekends before all of wich is on 89 octane. SO basically my point is my cars a piece of crap compared to the high dollar boys but I can still do alot of their cool mods and have good performance, its just not going to win the riddler award any time soon and I personally dont give a f*** Pro touring is cool and I can dig the high dollar cars, but what I personally like are the lower buck cars that perform well and are drivers, in wich I like to categorize "Poor Touring"

Comment

Originally posted by 73Nova
            but what I personally like are the lower buck cars that perform well and are drivers, in wich I like to categorize "Poor Touring"
            That's pretty much what our '79 Trans Am will be. The "Track Day TA," a car that can be driven to an pen-track event, beaten-on, driven home, then driven to work Monday. All without busting the bank.

Yesterday we were at the Goodguys event in Costa Mesa. A great event because all the 20-inch-wheel guys with perfect paint were in the show area, and all the real cars were getting bashed on during the AirRide Street Challenge autocross event. Nice stuff, too, like Rupp's Bad Penny, the CPP Nova, the AirRide cars, the DSE Test Car, and others. We like to see 'em get used and abused!

Comment

I am a tick over 30, but despite many of the older folk that despised that van thing I liked them. I liked the panel painted jobs of the 70's with cragers, slots, or the back of the ride 6 feet high.
              I grew up being around what I was always told by family and a freinds as "real cars"; amercian, V8 powered, and not completely rusted to hell with something on par of a Maaco/Earl Schibe paint job.
              I had a notion any import was plain stupid, so I never gave the cars one chance. Now, if a car is clean, sits ok, and is well thought out, it works for me.
              As far as labeling something, fine, whatever. I like some stuff with decent rims and a clean paint job. the big wheel stuff is stupid as hell, period.
              I just want to drive something, and not worry about stuff falling off while I push it. I could give a f{edit} less what sort of label my car has, or what your car has. I'm just glad someone took some time to save another old car, and do something with it, and not crush/shred the damn thing.

To the guys pissing and moaning about Project X: you guys have your view, and I respect that. I have issue with though is belittleing the honest work put into that car to bring it back again in a new form. to me, it's an updated classic. I don't care much for bowtie stuff, ain't my bag. It gets my respect because they put time, and some serious love into that old car, and rebuilt it. I understand the thing has a long, well documented history, but just beacuse it's not some full blown 1/4 car, so what?

Look at the Pure Vision '72 Torino Sport. I guess the thing could be considered a PT car, but it was built to be driven, big deal if the F'er has big rims. 514, toploader and some big brakes. I'm there. I'd take one if I had the cash to pay for it.

Ah, yes, that one word: cash.
              Seeing as how I don't have much right now, I make due with what I got.
              Here's my car-

If I had money for new spindles and big ass brakes, I would do it, but I scrounged and made '99 crown vic police front 13" brakes work, and I am sticking 11" drums on in place of factory 10" drums out back because yeah rear disc brakes are great but -shrug- drums have worked fine for how long now for 90% of the driving masses even on the greats of the muscle car era.
              I want to run 15" rims with 295/50/15 rubber but because of my brake conversion off the CV I can't fit 15" rims without milling the caliper{which I won't comprimise on safety over looks}, so I am using with 16" junkyard steel crown vic rims with caps.
              If I had my choice, I would be running 15" centerline autodrags, big deal if they are out of date, they still look good and unlike the big inch rims are US made and forged not some heavy cast rim from China.
              I agree on the rubber band tires, but with my car, I scored a set of 50 series tires for $130 that were near new, and they actually ride decent if I didn't have my car oversprung right now.

I say you make it WTF ya like. If that wasn't that case, I would probably be driving "yet another" 5.0 fox body Mustang for my project, or if I wanted something easy, a 70-72 Chevelle where I could actually buy parts, instead of a 1 year only body Torino.

"If life brings you Lemons-trade them for some oranges, and find the guy who has the vodka"
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

eliteman , pop a windshield in that bud moore and lets go for a ride

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  eliteman , pop a windshield in that bud moore and lets go for a ride
                  ;D
                  Spider, it does in fact have the front glass. I drove it around for 4 months last year like that, along with a bare interior except a pair of junkyard fox body seats, and a chunk of carpet under my feet because I got tired of the heat from the hedders about melting my shoes...it's what I get for tucking the exhaust up by the trans tunnel.
                  Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Pro Touring -- pro schmouring
                    Who cares , really ?
                    I wouldnt build a car "any" way that I didnt really want to in the first place . However ,the next guy does and will make it however he likes no matter what another guy prefers . Thats why there are different brands of cars . There have been plenty of cars that I have looked at and thought "no way" would I do one up like that , so I didnt.
                    My gripe is ultra expensive cars that are not practical to drive, why they were built that way if the owner didnt really want to "drive it" anywhere in particular . I would enjoy seeing a class of cars that have been built by people that actually earn $50k a year -or less- and the inventive ways that they come up with to create a cool ride. When I was 20 yrs old I got my 80 elcamino into the high 12's (sbc 355 , 4spd, 390 12bolt) while making $8.50 an hour working for a logging company and won in a street race against a 69 chevelle with a sbc 302 in it. What fun! Life is simple when it is "kept simple".
                    What nobody really likes is a motor head with his nose in the air and thats what is cool about this site is the ability to talk with other people about what is really unique about each type of "USA made" vehicle .
                    Do you dig Amc's ? ect, well good for you , at least somebody does !

My dad told me long ago that "what ever do people need those big truck sized brakes on a car for , if you drive it decent you dont need to brake So Hard !" I sort of agree but he never really had brakes fade after putting a much bigger carb on and finding hidden horsepower ,flogging it back to back untill it would barely stop . He never flatshifted in the rain to try out the new ladder bars either ! LOL

Comment

• Re: Let's address the Pro Touring thing

Originally posted by Freiburger
                      Originally posted by 73Nova
                      but what I personally like are the lower buck cars that perform well and are drivers, in wich I like to categorize "Poor Touring"
                      That's pretty much what our '79 Trans Am will be. The "Track Day TA," a car that can be driven to an pen-track event, beaten-on, driven home, then driven to work Monday. All without busting the bank.

Yesterday we were at the Goodguys event in Costa Mesa. A great event because all the 20-inch-wheel guys with perfect paint were in the show area, and all the real cars were getting bashed on during the AirRide Street Challenge autocross event. Nice stuff, too, like Rupp's Bad Penny, the CPP Nova, the AirRide cars, the DSE Test Car, and others. We like to see 'em get used and abused!
                      I don't like the Pro Turning tag at all. Everyone that I have come across that is really interested in setting up their older car for Autocross or Road Racing doesn't like it either.

The identity deal is a good point. The one upmanship on these Pro Turning rides is rediculous. I see car that basically have a old body shell laid over a tube frame circle track chassis or a modern Vette or Viper. What's the point? What car is it really? And you hardly ever see this cars on a track or autocross course.

That why I like the SCCA rules. E-Street Prepared and Street Mod are great rules. 73Nova's setup would basically be a E-SP car. Those rules are based on bolt on mods and suspension pick up points in the stock locations.

Now if we could devolop a E-Street Prepared and Street Mod vintage class, that would be neat. How about a RSE with some rules and guidlines?

I still run 15 rims. But all the good 15 tires are gone. My 245/50/15 BFG Comp T/A are discountinued. I have to convert to 17" rims. And there is a performance benefit from larger 13" rotors and good calipers that need 17" rims.

I also like good fair comparisions of parts and setups. Where's the articles like the in the Car Craft March 1988 or the Hot Rod June 1981. Those I have as permenent references.

Comment

My thoughts are "do what you like" I can appreciate the concept of "pro touring" a car that does it all...hell yeah who cant dig a machine like that. Pro Street, hell yeah! big fat steam roller tires and a roll bar cruisng the streets, bitchen...totaly restored car, all stock, classic...Retro mod...subtle and clean a little flash...I'll cruise one....Vans, rat rods, wicked fast imports...hell...I'll take em all..

But for me...I still love speed stickers in the window, raise white letter tires on 14 or 15 inch rims, cheesey chrome valve covers and air cleaner...air shocks for a rake....heck...even side pipes and tires that are way to wide for the back end...they take me back to my youth and it makes me smile...so thats how I am gonna roll...cuz I can...

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                          Originally posted by Lil Demon

You are a gentleman hot rodder. Everyone should adopt your attitude.
                          +1

There are plenty of cars out there that are not at all what I'm into that are well done none the less. I have seen a couple box Caprice's with Daytons that to my shock and amazement were actually good looking cars-good proportions of wheel/tire combo and stance, tasteful color. I have also seen Honda's that got it right in the same way.

I will admit to shaking my head and rolling my eyes sometimes when I see the sterotypical noisy fwd import with extra bodywork driven by a ritalin deprived teen, but at least they're doing SOMETHING. They put down the Xbox and actually got their hands dirty and built a hotrod. They might be the embarrassing third cousins but they are still fellow gearheads. I mainly feel a little bit sorry for them because most of them have no idea what they missed-when for real awesome musclecars were everywhere. A lot of those guys have never had any exposure to a proper big-block or four speed car and don't know the difference. But they are at least doing what they can with what they've got just like us.

I suppose pro-touring is no different. There are a lot of them out there that I don't like but still took an enormous amount of work. I think a lot of the frustration for guys like us is that I will look at a car like that and think "If I had that much to spend I could have done so much better for less".

Comment

My take:
                            I hate labels and feel only the posers build to fit a certain label. In the case of "Pro Touring" many cars are probably not capable but just want to look the part. 20" wheels on a 77 Caddy do not make it a good handling car.

The wheel size thing. It depends on the car. Those 20" wheels won't look big on the 77 Caddy but look assinine on a 63 ChevyII. Tire sidewall width is a lot of it. I have 17" rims with 60 series rubber for my car, the wheels won't look big but the tires do. For those of you that don't believe me , find an 05 or newer Mustang you can borrow and see if the M50-14's off your car look stupid on it.

I hated Pro Street too, tubbing a car for style is stupid. If it doesn't need the traction it's pointless. I must say though that it was enjoyable beating tubbed cars running 12's and slower.

Comment

Working...
                            X