• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Brad54

So, tell us the story.

Re: Hey, Brad54

HA!

Well...sometimes when you take the high road and act professionally, it bites you in the ass.

I've got some things up in the air, and my former job was talking about spending lots of time training me to do a function I wasn't particularly thrilled about anyway, plus they were talking about buying nonrefundable plane tickets for me to travel for them, and other plans and events that would have involved me traveling for the company. I would have felt like I was sneaking around and not being honest with them as they were making their plans. I gotta be able to sleep at night, and look the boss in the eye while we're talking about future events, so I had a sit-down with my boss and said there was a possibility I would be giving two-week notice in 30-45 days.
    I didn't expect him to say he was now in an awkward position, and that I had to tell HIS boss by the end of the week or he would. So I talked to his boss on Wednesday, told him the same thing, and asked him not to tell the prez (because the prez tends to take things very personally). He said no problem, he'd bring it up when I knew something more concrete.
    Well...next day I get The Call Into The Office, and there's all my paperwork on the table, and I'm now told I can't be "riding the gravy train," "they've got to move on," and they "can't make plans knowing I won't be here in 30 days." Thanks, we don't need you to finish any of the projects you've been working on--press releases, magazine stories, etc. They did help me out by putting "Lack of work" on the separation papers so I can go on the government dole until the freelance checks start rolling in, so that was nice. Both of them asked me repeatedly why I said anything at all, and said I shouldn't have said a word, just trained and let them buy the tickets. I can't do that, and though I explained why, I still don't think they get it. If they do, the head cheez certainly doesn't. What really blew me away was when I asked "What would be the difference if I gave two week notice, versus telling you now?" "Nothing. We'd have cut you lose the day you gave notice." Oh. Well, there you go.
    Typically there's a guy standing over your shoulder while you clean out your desk, and you have 15 minutes to do it. I spent two hours putting files together of all the magazines I was working parts for and burning CDs with images for several stories. When my boss took all of it, he said "I appreciate this...and I really appreciate your attitude about all this. I'm really surprised." Yeah, well...

My wife should be bronzed and enshrined in the Wife Hall Of Fame, because she isn't freaked out a bit, and is happy that I'll be able to write full time again. Got an office set up at home, a list of stories to work on, and will be framing an office out in the shop starting tomorrow to get even better organized and productive. (plus it'll give me a 10x12 storage loft to stash parts!)

So there you go--that's as unbiased a version as I'm capable of giving.

The short version is they're a bunch of wankers, I've wanted to write full time again so bad it hurt and I'm glad to be out of there!

-Brad

Comment

Virtually any company walks you out when you "give notice." At ths Big Three you never even make it back to your desk. I'm surprised I worked the term of my notice (and beyond) at my old gig.

Comment

I did virtually the same thing at my last two gigs...JD and DE were very stand-up about it.

For me, now, this was a great thing.

-Brad

Comment

Sounds like a good case of Wrongfull Termination, A good lawyer would love to jump on that one. Just give me a cut on the final payoff.

Comment

Wow, makes me thankful for the job I have. Our company is a mom & pop atmosphere/culture. The guy who I replaced gave a one-year notice.

I would only work at a corporation as a last resort.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I worked for the Federal Gov for 31+ years. Not only did I leave at one point ( about 10 years in), I was gone for 18 months and they let me back in the door! I wound up doing more interesting work for several years, then there was a regime change and all us techs took a step back (oh, well). I left with the Big Boss thinking I was the greatest thing ever. You don't get rich working in the Gov, but EVERYTHING is spelled out concerning your employment and you really don't get screwed.

Best of luck
              Dan

Comment

You don't give a notice here, because if you do the tell you to load your box...now. seen it a million times, well OK i seen it 47 times. ( number of techs through here in the past 15 years) I personally got to work my 2 weeks, because the old asshole S/Mgr didn't believe I was leaving ,till my box was gone one morning. I do believe in not burning bridges. Because at dealers the grass may be greener, but you still need to mow it , and it may be up hill both ways with a push mower.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Always have a Plan B, and the framework for a Plan C in place. No credit card debts and no new car payment, and some savings in the bank takes a whole lot of pressure off me.

I'm a writer and photographer, so I'll be freelancing full-time now and will be self sufficient. I also run a swap meet each month, so there's a little coming in there if I need it.

Sue them for wrongfull termination? Nah. Not worth it, and besides...I support a business's right to fire anybody they please for any reason they please.

I would like the week of vacation pay they took from me though.

I'm not worried...I'm looking at it as a fantastic opportunity.

-Brad

Comment

"Fired for drag racing the news van"- That's not wrongful termination, that's something to put on the resume ;D
                    sigpic

Comment

Great Attitude Brad... Seriously...

Keith

Comment

I second the Great Attitude comment!!

Although I've given notice 3 times in 15 years, and never had a problem with working the full term. I just make sure my ducks are in a row, I offer to help out after I am gone if necessary. I usually work in Information Technology, and it's NECESSARY to have "good references" at the last job, when trying to land a position at the new one.

However, this last job I had (R&D Director at a medium sized automotive aftermarket company), I was "downsized" / laid off / whatever. I didn't even collect unemployment, for which I qualified (there's something wrong about unemployment when I can be gainfully employed within a week or two). I really didn't like hearing that the project I worked on was "not doing well" when it was actually exceeding commitments, that's the only frustrating part. Especially when my friends in the "car world" hear this, but I sucked it up and kept a positive attitude. I too kept an emergency stash, I have had zero credit card debt for a few years now, and I find that these factors alone can make or break someone in your position Brad.

Best of luck!
                        -scott
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Hey man,

A grander exit has probably never been made. Having a supporting "better half" makes all the difference in the world. As I heard Dave Wallace laughingly say about freelancing, "you only have to work as hard as 2.5 people!" He then followed up that comment with how much he digs it.

Carpe diem!

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

DF screwed?

DF-- I am sure I read a few months back in a thread here somewhere that there would be a few left-over articles published in the mag that you wrote prior to leaving. Haven't seen any with your name on them, did they screw you over on that?

Brad, your integrity is commendable. Sadly rare these days.
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

David, you left articles around? Where, I need them???? ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X