First big roadtrip.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First big roadtrip.....

280 miles tomorrow, first big roadtrip, 4:11 gears = nice slow drive.....mostly untested so far other then work and back and cruises locally, and of course enough burnouts to almost demo a brand new set of bfg's.....weekend long car show and camping.....bringing along a 9/16 wrench cause almost every bolt or nut on the car is just that...a hex for when a poly lock on a rocker comes loose.......duct tape, a cell phone and blind faith.....This is a family affair, my uncles car is in pieces for the first time in near 25yrs and not there, my Dad's car made it a quarter of the way there today and broke the motor, towed home and going in the minivan, so im the last hope.....and they both bitch that my gears and cam and carb make it a "race" car and not a reliable driver...someone is going to owe me a cold beer when i arrive....wish me luck and pics to follow when i get home mon.

Re: First big roadtrip.....

May Chief Pontiac be with you.......in spirit.

Comment

Keep us posted. I love a success story. Spin it up and let it roll.

Cheers to ya,

DTB

DTB - RETIRED

Comment

AAA is our friend - just ask Seth!

May the blessed mother of acceleration not fail you!

Show those old guys that a "race engine" can do just fine on a long haul - keep an eye on the trans and coolant temp - and try not to find a happy place where the converter is not slipping too much.

And to think - a few weeks back you mentioned selling the big chief!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good luck brother, I think you'll do just fine with it. Take some pics of your part of the world for us too.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Best of luck! Glad you got the ol' boy running well enough that you're willing to take this on.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes, loaded teh trunk to the hilt thurs morn, kids jumped in the back seat, me and the wife up front and on the road by 8:30 am. weather was perfect. Drove a total of 800kilometers, Used two tanks of gas (which seems really good to me) Got there in about 5hrs, zero issues, car drove perfect. We had a great drive down. lot's of cool stuff there, (pics to follow when my wife downloads off the camera) 2800 rpm all the way there, stayed 205 on the guage. Set up the trailer (brother towed it down with my truck) and opened the first of many many many beers. Dad took the keys and went for a tour with my uncle. I could hear him launching it as soon as they were off the fairgrounds, they came back giggling like school girls....took my brother out for a ride, found a deserted back road, launched the the thing and left 100ft of slideways tire tracks , very very cool. Toured the grounds lots and the very best feeling in the world when guys with cars i deem way way nicer then mine come walking up to my campsite to tell me how wicked nasty the thing sounds and ask me a million questions. After coming up to this show since i was like 10yrs old it was the coolest thing ever to bring the family up in our own car. Anyways, to sum it up, drove it home in a monster rainstorm and parked it in the garage. Thing was flawless, yippieeee........on a side not that thread about scott's original colour being that orchid pinkish ....there was a 66 imp rag that colour, i took a bunch of pics that i will throw up later......thanks again everyone.....
              Dave

Comment

Sounds great - good to hear you had a ball.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                X