More sand drags questions for BB70Duster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More sand drags questions for BB70Duster

Mike, where do you get sand paddles for heavy cars, and do they only come as small as 33s?

I read the NSDA rules and they don't seem to specify anything about the construction of the vehicle itself. Are trans brakes allowed? Do guys run bracket electronics or not?

Also, what is your wheelspeed versus the mph in the clocks? I'm considering gearing and wondering if you run higher gears (lower numbers) than we might think in oder to maintain wheel speed. Or, if it's just a 100-yard track, do you run low gears (higher numeric) anyway?

Re: More sand drags questions for BB70Duster

For smaller tires, use old slicks, have them skinned and paddles added by Skat trak, otherwise what most people run is 20.00 STU, 34" tall, 20" wide. Most cars are trans brake, actually almost all except mine, its tough to leave on a foot brake, since you cant really stall it up... I leave on the bottle so its like a brake! ;D As for the gears, I originally had a 5.13, they shit the bed first time out, so I Robbed thed the 3.91s from my wifes Nova and theyve been in there ever since, they seem to work better (then the 5.13) on the bottle, but Im not even getting it anywhere near 3rd gear and I short shift it... but most people run 5s and 6s for gears, I guess some tire spin is better in the sand (so they say) I prefer to hook... I guess thats one of the nice things about the sand it hasnt been perfected like asphalt cars, people are still learning what works... when my buddy brought his red jeep out, (see pic) everyone laughed, they said it was too low, and that the tire was too narrow, everyone thought it would bury its self, turns out it works great, small tire, with aggressive scoops, guess its similar to asphalt, once upon a time you had to have a huge slick too hook, now they do it on skinny radials!

Comment

Freiburger... you should go watch.. and take Chad... we need one of these... especially if we have to go to Pismo to run them... they have good stuff there...

I know we tested the place with a road trip when I was in HS...

Keith ( who cares how long ago that was )...

Comment

The Hummer Im racing in this pic is from the Pismo area... Its a pretty cool ride, the guy built it himself out of Aluminum, so its not a real Hummer, but youd never know it... The engine is from a Pro stock car (Arias,I think it was 604 inches) :o

Comment

So Dave... Gonna put somethin together? ;D

Comment

We're gonna try! Sand Duster sound good to you?

Comment

I like it... heres a offroad Duster my buddy did years back...

Comment

another shot... ;D

Comment

I've seen that! Searched it on the net somewhere.

Comment

and a south of the border Duster :o

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                      I've seen that! Searched it on the net somewhere.
                      My buddy with the nice E bodies I sent you pics of is the one who built it... heres his other cars....

Comment

Originally posted by bb70duster
                        and a south of the border Duster :o
                        Saw that in Ensenada the past two years at the 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by bb70duster
                          For smaller tires, use old slicks, have them skinned and paddles added by Skat trak, otherwise what most people run is 20.00 STU, 34" tall, 20" wide. Most cars are trans brake, actually almost all except mine, its tough to leave on a foot brake, since you cant really stall it up... I leave on the bottle so its like a brake! ;D As for the gears, I originally had a 5.13, they shit the bed first time out, so I Robbed thed the 3.91s from my wifes Nova and theyve been in there ever since, they seem to work better (then the 5.13) on the bottle, but Im not even getting it anywhere near 3rd gear and I short shift it... but most people run 5s and 6s for gears, I guess some tire spin is better in the sand (so they say) I prefer to hook... I guess thats one of the nice things about the sand it hasnt been perfected like asphalt cars, people are still learning what works... when my buddy brought his red jeep out, (see pic) everyone laughed, they said it was too low, and that the tire was too narrow, everyone thought it would bury its self, turns out it works great, small tire, with aggressive scoops, guess its similar to asphalt, once upon a time you had to have a huge slick too hook, now they do it on skinny radials!
                          I have to ask? Did the guy doing the filming ever get all the sand out of his teeth...???? LOL

Rickster

Comment

I think he was off to the side... you should see the roost from the fuel cars!!! :o

Comment

Working...
                            X