Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest continuous drive you have ever made, and in what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the longest continuous drive you have ever made, and in what?

Driving a 96 Suburban, I did Santa Rosa, CA to Denver in 21 hours, only stopping to get gas, coffee and go pee. We had spent 2.5 weeks in CA on vacation and wanted to get home. Momma won't drive on the highway ... She falls asleep.

I've made it home from Farmington MO a few times in 18 hours n change. Grandparents lived there and I would spend a few weeks every summer with them when I was in high school.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Great stories!!.

Comment

Long story....... 14yr old son.... a 69 Austin Healey Box Sprite... fall of the wall tour in 92.... 11 countrieis in 4 days on less then 500 bucks..... camping, sleeping out... riding in the sunshine... rain , heat and cold... Dresden in the fall is great... you can see the craters in the shadows.... Poland and slovenia.... so on and so forth.... Italian Alps.... ... I'll do more when I get home.... it was a great trip....

K

Comment

story # 2...

I just sold a 61 chevy bel air wagon to a guy in oxnard cali, myself and my co-pilot drove back to anahiem hills for the night to stay with a friend, we got up the next morning and headed out back towards texas, I was driving a F150 xcab and pulling a empty car trailer. We made it to tucson early evening and stopped at a waffle house on the west side of town and met a waitress there that was very flirtatious and wanted us to wait til she got off work so she could show us a good time, we messed with the girl and told her we were going to get a hotel room across I-10 from the waffle house and told her to meet us there, what she didnt know was that we decided to just keep on booking down the road.

A few hours later we stop in Las Cruces New Mexico and me and my buddy had a thing about goofing off in walmarts and k-marts, its somewhere round midnight giver er take a couple of hours, we go in, play around and come back out, were the only ones in the parking lot and theres 1 grocery cart in the parking lot, we look at the cart, we look at each other, we look at the car trailer ........ you ever see a 18 foot car trailer going down a major interstate with a grocery cart ratchet strapped down to the car trailer ;D lets just say we got ALOT of looks rollin down the freeway.

The rest of the trip back to houston was a blur, we were tired and burnt out, it was December 30 and we were making plans for the new years on the drive back into H-town. My cell phone rings outside San Antonio and my girl friend at the time who lived in Mobile Alabama wanted to go to a new years eve party ...... in Pensacola Florida ... WTF.

We get back into houston, I drop my buddy off at his house, I go by the shop I was working at and drop off the car trailer and grocery cart, and head to the house, I return the F150 back to my dad, unpack my bag, take a shower, repack my bag and throw it in my ford ranger... Ok ive been basically up for the past 24 hours already and now im heading to mobile alabama to meet my girlfriend and its a 7 hour drive and its 5 in the evening... so away I go

I think I slept most of that boring driving on I-10 thru the swamplands of louisiana and get to her house somewhere round 2 or 3 in the morning dec 31st, after a couple hours sleep I wake up and we head off to her friends place on the beach in Pensacola. so basically within 48 hours I drove from Coast to Almost other Coast (I was close to the eastern seaboard)

I said I would never do a drive like that again ....... well theres more to come
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

When I moved from Memphis back to SoCal. In a Ford Expedition, my dad and I towed my Chevelle in my trailer. We rotated driving, stopping only for gas, food and to hit the head.
            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Had to be Drag Week 08!!! ;D Wait, maybe 06, ahh hell, BOTH! :P

Comment

My first solo long drive was just out of boot camp, heading to "A school" in Millington, TN (near Memphis) from central FL. I was 18, driving my 66 Olds Delta 88. I got a "trip tic" from AAA that kept me off interstates a lot of the way (mom's idea). Snacking the whole way, drinking a 12 pack of Dr Pepper, and taking Ephedrine to stay alert, I was buzzing like mad toward the end of the 12 hour drive.
                *funny note: Ephedrine does something to your prostate (enlarges or shrinks?), so when I pulled over to pee, I looked down and was shocked and amazed at how small "it" had become. An ice water bath couldn't cause that much shrinkage!

The next day when I went to drive around base, there was a terrible crunching coming from the back of the car that was literally moving the car sideways. The day after that, I learned how to install axle bearings in the auto hobby shop.

Comment

Hopped up on lots of mountain dew and coffee I drove from dallas texas to maryland just outside of DC. twenty seven hours straight, well with lots of gas and pee stops. Went to go see, what would turn out to be my future ex wife. In an s-10 blazer , with the temp sensor for the ecm broken didn't know it at the time so the truck was running in rich startup loop the whole time got about 12mpg and by the time i got back to dallas the black smoke coming out of the back of the truck put most diesels to shame.

Comment

Working...
                  X