Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has your car ever put you in the hospital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has your car ever put you in the hospital?

None of my crap has ever wounded me bad enough to head to the hospital.

How about yours?

(The more gore the better )

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Has your car ever put you in the hospital?

i am glad enough to say no. neather have customer cars lol

Comment

Not really, worse one was I went in for a tetnus shot a day or so after drawing blood. Other wounds are solved with paper towels and what ever tape is laying around :P
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

One side terminal battery explosion sent me to the emergency room.A new floor jack that I wasnt used to tried to take an index finger off. Other than that no.

Comment

Stitches in the finger putting a pinion seal in my Camaro. It's not good to smash your finger with the hammer. ;)

Other than that in my early 20's this chic ran a red light and T-boned the little Isusu truck I had. It flipped the truck over onto the drivers side where I slid a good 300ft across all lanes of on coming traffic and hit the curb and flipped into a parking lot back on all four wheels. I ended up breaking my nose and getting stitches between the eyes, other than that just a couple of bumps and bruises. I was definitely lucky in that crash.

Then there was the time I had a fully compressed coil spring in my hands and the spring compressor let go as I was putting up in the spring pocket. Jammed my finger against the lower control arm bump stop and chunked a good piece of meat out of it. I didn't go to the hospital on that one, just ended up pushing the hunk of meat that was dangling there back into my finger and wrapping it with some paper towel and duck tape and went back to work. ;)

Comment

No, not my cars...but there have been a few airplanes that have...

Split my head open on a prop blade, broke my nose with a speed handle, cut my eye open with a tailpipe..
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Almost did. Doing an oil change on a '63 Austin Princess. I got up and got the filter and oil off the bench carrying it all back to the car I tripped over the floor jack. The oil went flying and I landed on the filter cracking, or breaking three ribs. My sister the nurse looked at it and taped me up instead of me going to the ER. I didn't have insurance anyways.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Not YET! About 8 years ago i was beating the pilot bushing out of a friends truck using an old input shaft out of an old transmission i had, i missed once and split my thumb Wide open, im talking fatty looking tissue hanging out and blood, i wrapped it with a greasy shop rag and went back to work.

I just about cut the tip of my ring finger off last week. I was gutting the cab of my pulling truck trying to get the antenna cable loose from the windshield. I gave it about 3 yanks before it came loose, when it did my finger hit the dash and cut through the fingernail and part of the tip of the finger. Wrapped my finger in my shirt and went home.

Mind you, I was about 8 beers deep on both of these. You would think i could find the pattern here.

Comment

I have 3 files at the local urgent care center.... last one was an exhaust hanger that got me 13 staples in my head. before that tore ligaments in my ankle, month before that and broke my finger...and was this year by march!
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Not yet. Just the typical smashed fingers, cuts, burns, etc...
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Yeah, mostly stitches.. I was cleaning head bolts when I was 16 on this very old and large grinder/wire wheel, and bumped my left hand into the grind stone. Shaved my ring finger knuckle down and there is still a flat spot. 6 stitches.

Not my car but one I was working on was an 83 Firebird in 87. I was cutting the smashed front end off with an air chisel and the tip broke and I smacked my hand against the radiator support. Doesnt sound so bad does it? I didnt think so at the time other than it hurt like hell. So I switch bits and keep going until I see a pink mist everywhere. Wondering if I have an air leak I look around, dont see anything. Then I notice my hand is wet after chiseling some more. I look at my hand and discover the source of the pink mist. I had crushed my hand between the chisel and a jagged chunk of metal. The right ring finger was cut to the bone from my nail to the other end of my finger, I could see all the tendons and joints working in there. Pretty cool. Took 16 stitches to get that one to stop bleeding. The scar is pretty awesome, but it has been getting smaller over the years.

I have been quite lucky, those are the only two times I got stitched up from working on cars, usually I just tape it or ignore it and keep going. Those two would not stop bleeding even when packed with grease. Hell I cut myself today once, and twice yesterday. If I dont bleed on a car I am not working hard enough on it.

Comment

Working on cars almost always demands a blood sacrifice. Things just tend to go smoother afterwards.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Not from working on it but there was on instance of pilot error where I ran off the Taconic Parkway one night coming home from work

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            None of my crap has ever wounded me bad enough to head to the hospital.

How about yours?

(The more gore the better )

Brian
                            been lucky there too.
                            from pneumonia with eyeballs flying out of sealed rusted channels in november...
                            radon glowing maine aurora baurealis making me dizzy and shorting electricals with no errors..
                            to silver lining the shower after welding the car..(something came out of my skin.. all around my torso, like math...)

a couple of thousand pig nfested autos as a quick lube pitman... that only gets the brain for a little while.

even my dads rigs never got me. all those chores.

never gone to the hospital.

rapped my head on some 707 flaps more than once, and that stupid grate door got me good climbing into the plane. knocked right to the ground... elctrocuted by a battery with power hooked up (external power hooked up), miscommunication.
                            tail stand to the top of my head.
                            compression stalls in the fog...look at me with a halon fire bottle. WTF am I gonna do?

my strangest error ever was in england on a wet runway... I got hit by invisible lightning through the headset (I had a metal plate in my foot)

my finale to disabled is actually 707 related. do not attempt neurological explanations if to ever get sickened by machines.. the doctor will think you are crazy. :o
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Only little things, damn fingers were always getting between heavy, moving pieces of metal. But not while working on my stuff, just when working on other people's stuff. And it's been a long time, I guess I learned to keep my fingers out from between heavy, moving pieces of metal.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X