Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning my Mom into a redneck, 4x4 style

Anyone know Jeep XJ's?

My mom found one last night, a '94. Asked me to go look at it for her, it's a little rough but rust free and the 4x4 stuff seems tight. Obviously not from Ohio, all of them rusted to death a few years ago.

And its a 5.7 ;D Full-time with an overdrive trans of some type. Needs all fluids changed and the teeny-bopper sticker crap scraped off the windows, interior cleaned and will be good to go. Mom has a 1/4 long driveway that collects snow like a hoarder collects cats, so this Jeep is there to keep from tearing up her good car.

Pointers, hints, things to check out or beware of? I've had a few CJ's and YJ's, never been around an XJ much....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Re: Turning my Mom into a redneck, 4x4 style

I know Jeep purists complain about that generation as they are referred to as "not real jeeps" but I don't know why.

a 5.7 - really?

Can't help much other than to triple check the 4x4 engagement components - especially if they are vacuum operated.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The PO called it a 5.7............ looks like an TBI 318 or 360 to me. 360ci would be close to 5.7L

Either way a V8 in that little thing should be adequate.

Doesn't seem to be any 4x4 engagement components, the transfercase shift lever has 4high, neutral, and 4low only. No switch on dash that I could find, didn't check the glovebox, will have to do that.

Figured it was full-time with a viscious coupling designed in somewhere.

Comment

Is it a Grand Cherokee? Some of them had the 5.2 (318) , 360 is a 5.9 I don't think they put the 360 until later.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Could it be the 4.7 or was that later as well? If it's full time 4X4, it may be worth it to convert it to part time 4X4 ...

In my experience, those jeeps like to go thru rear diffs if driven (off roaded) a lot.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Been doing a little research..... it is a Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 and full-time.

Looks like this - without the lift and substitute stock aluminum wheels.

She'll be dropping it off today after doing the title stuff. First thing it gets is a total fluid transfusion....

Comment

Working...
            X