It's All Relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's All Relative

Pumpkin came to visit a couple weekends ago, and we shot pool and told lies and solved all of the world's problems as we do. I was quizzing him about the REAL Pumpkin (the car) eating expensive clutches one after another on the Power Tour. He said in the end it was basically a mis-diagnosed problem, a 40-dollar part, and not the clutch itself. I don't know anything about cars.

I've remarked to him more than once that hotrodding is an expensive hobby. But that night after 3 or 40 beers, I felt an urge to say, let me show you THIS. We went up to the Band Room and I showed him my pile of black sound equpiment, stuff I don't even use anymore. Amps, mixers, stage monitors, mains, a drum kit, the whole stage show. I didn't even open the closet to show him the massive bags full of wires and cables and microphones it takes to make it all "go" on the night of the show. Sitting there. Dollar signs on every little piece of it.

I was fortunate when I hooked up with Sue Unit that I'd already spent that money, I guess. In support, she even bought me the best guitar on earth herself with her own money. So now I have it. And it's all just sitting there.

But the point being, ...... what about wives and hotrods? Has that subject been overdone here already? If it has, I apologize. But all you have to do is to open one door in our house, and there sits my hotrod, a huge investment I'll never get anything back from, except my own pleasure. I've done it, money-wise. Just a different flavor, sort of. I'm lucky. Unit loves music. But still, all that stuff's just sitting there. What about wives and hotrods?

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: It's All Relative

Mine doesnt car, she doesnt pretend to be interested anymore like she did when we were young...but she is supportive in me getting in built and doesnt mind if I save money to do so....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm looking for one with a Mopar....... ;D

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

My wife wants a new Challenger. When we met she was driving a camaro. Then we married and children. She is now into cars more than she was. She even points them out to me as we are driving. :o
        OH YEAH
        Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

My wife is smart enough to restrain me from my addiction. I would probably be broke and living in a trailer parked next to a sweet garage with something shiny and blinding fast parked inside, if it weren't for her. My life is much more responsible because of her.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

My wife just lets me go. She looks at me and rolls her eyes when I walk in with another Summit bag/receipt. I know what the limits are on money, time, etc. for the car(s) is.

She does also realize what is maintenance costs on cars and what is "extras".
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

In one day, my wife and I will mark 14 years together. We're 30, so we started dating when we were 16. I think I am lucky in the fact that this whole car thing has been there since day 1 and she knows/understands what it means to me.

That being said, we have a budget like every other family out there and I'd catch some big time hell if I just started blowing money on the truck or whatever else is going on. With the two boys being as nuts about cars and trucks as they are, we do stuff together. Some times she comes and some times she like to have a day away from thing 1 and thing 2 so I fly solo.

In my opinion, so long as the car or project or whatever is a device that brings you together on some level, the money thing is secondary. People spend thousands on stamps...you can make any hobby expensive if you want to.

Pewee, I'd bet you that you'd not trade the memories or experiences of playing on that equipment for having the money back you spent on it. I think the same can be said for most around here with respect to their projects/hot rods/etc.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Michelle is really cool with it. I was a gearhead when we met 24 years ago, so she understands. We have a set limit that I can spend without consulting her first and I respect that. She is my second set of eyes to make sure I don't go overboard on stuff. Heck, when I scattered a small block a few years ago, she's the one that suggested taking out a 2nd to build a new one, bigger and better.

She races just enough thru out the year to keep me happy. I think she does it more just because she wants me to know she is ok with it, and respects my gearheadedness (whats that worth in scrabble?).

And my oldest (Stewie on here) is FINALLY getting interested in the hobby/sport.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Jean is cool with it.Every car she has had has had three pedals. Shes a keeper.We got married on a Friday and my sons first Jr Dragster race was the next day. ;D ;D What a Honeymoon.I did take her to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary.She doesnt bitch about my going on DragWeek and I dont bitch when she and her best friend go to Cabo in the winter for a week.

Comment

"Pewee, I'd bet you that you'd not trade the memories or experiences of playing on that equipment for having the money back you spent on it. I think the same can be said for most around here with respect to their projects/hot rods/etc. "

Brian

Yeah, you got that right. But it (the playing out) just didn't last long enough. Okay, I'm whining. Yeah, that was a few nights and afternoons on the town I'll never forget. Gosh, that was the most fun I've ever had with clothes on. Sure was a big buildup to it, though. Like, what if you only got to drive a hotrod five times, and that's it? That's all you get.

I lost my acoustic partner when I relocated here to TN. Man, we had it going. We sure did. We had something for 'em, even though the audience had never heard or even understood what we were playing (old blues). Here, so close to Nashville, it's country or nothing. I can't make myself play that, though Pumpkin did teach me to listen to it and enjoy it on his last visit here.

I think that's why I titled this thread what I did. Yeah, it's all relative. You gotta go for what blows your skirt up, whatever that is. And a truly good point made about any hobby can be as expensive as you make it be. yep.

pw
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I only know 3 girls who know anything about cars, I've dated 2, and the other is my sister
                      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

it's all about balance, most know you where into cars before they became the wife, and most understand..
                        but there has to be balance.. those that spend more time on the car than the wife /family, don't have wife for long, but wifes that try to change a gearhead, will see the curb sooner or later..
                        some are into it, some just deal with it..
                        like men deal with wifes with 10 pairs of black shoes..
                        my wife it's greenhouse and plants, me it's cars.. as long as both have time for the hobbies. it's A ok..
                        bonus is the fact that she wants one..
                        downside is she wants a ford

Comment

Working...
                        X