The last damn Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last damn Ford

This 92 F150 is the last Ford I am ever going to buy with a computer in it. It has been nothing but trouble, and I have barely gotten it running again, every time I fix one thing another screws up and takes months to figure it out. I am done throwing parts at it.

The latest thing is I swapped the O2, now the rear ABS light is on and the speedo/odometer dont work. I changed the sensor in the differential and no dice, its still screwed up. I have stuffed another engine in it, rebuilt the trans, replaced the ECM, and changed almost everything that is connected to the stupid ECM. The scanner wont talk to it, says it isnt connected despite being plugged in correctly. So there is a problem with the wiring or ECM somewhere. So I cant pull the codes, I cant do any diagnostics other than the old school methods and even then the voltage might be ok at the sensor and it still runs like crap. The ECM will not talk to any scanner I have connected to it.

I can pull a GM truck or car out of a river and have it running in a couple days, this thing laid down back in 2005 and it has fought me ever since. It is going to get parted out and scrapped if it doesnt decide to work with me for a change. Its not like I am a noob when it comes to EFI, its just this POS wont do anything it is supposed to do, and it wont talk to me when I ask it what is wrong. I am not about to start chasing wires, this thing is about to become chips for a smelter in China.

Anybody want the POS?

Re: The last damn Ford

After a build up like that I'm salivating in anticipation of the mechanical delight..... ( in other words... ahhh HELL NO )

Comment

the speedo is driven off of the sensor that is in the side of the transfer case or trans depending on if it is 2wd or 4x4. all the rear speed seonsor does is give a signal to the ABS computer

when i had my 91 it would not talk to scanners eather so this is how i pulled codes from it. being a 92 it shouls be the same computer system

showing how to get codes with out a scanner on a ford EEC-IV system.How to read the flashesthe first set of flashes is the first digit then there is a pause ...

if you are wondering i also got rid of that POS lol

Comment

if this helps your decision:
        I have not seen that style ford in my own locale so long I took a double take to the photo...

Me?

the steel has sucked since 1974.. why not just keep the chassis and make it old school with an older engine.
        use the modern fuel return setup for a carb setup. priceless.

still looks ok, fancy stripes.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
          if this helps your decision:
          I have not seen that style ford in my own locale so long I took a double take to the photo...

Me?

the steel has sucked since 1974.. why not just keep the chassis and make it old school with an older engine.
          use the modern fuel return setup for a carb setup. priceless.

still looks ok, fancy stripes.
          he would also have to replace the trans if it is an auto it is an e4od and that is compleatly controled by the PCM.

Comment

I've dealt with one of those trucks, too. When I was at the point you are with it, I was ready to carb it. I couldn't because of Cali smog laws. Do you have anything holding you back? Keep the body as is and put in a carbed Windsor and regular AOD or C4. Then you have the simplicity of a carb and the amenities of a late model.

Or just break down and take it to a trusted mechanic. I only say that because of your level of frustration.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

fun with OBD-I

Comment

4wd? Cause I wouldn't mind a beater truck to pull folks out of ditches.

Comment

it's two you can tell by the front wheels

Comment

only if it runs walt

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                      4wd? Cause I wouldn't mind a beater truck to pull folks out of ditches.
                      2wd 2 axles and open diff's 4wd'd should all have lockers.. whom ever came up with the idea of a 4wd truck with open diff axles.. never been off road much

Comment

the old full time 4wd 4 lok mode was pretty unstoppable

Comment

Funny, I had a 91 Chevy pick-up at work that gave me those same kinds of problems, bow-tie money pit.

You didn't run this thing on some swamp water based bio-gas did you? ;D

Put comp insurance on it, and hope it burns to the ground.

Check the small ground wire between the negetive battery clamp and the core support, common on F series to give problems.
                          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

ford electronic gremlins and automatic trans- not -quite- up -to -par are well documented , 91 chev c/k trucks usually had a wire rubbing on the parking brake ratchet or a loose ground ....

Comment

I will check out the diagnostic stuff tomorrow. This thing has me pissed.

I can carb it, but then why not stuff in a stroked Cleveland so it has some power? I have a couple AODs laying around back home, the problem is getting them here. I need a truck to do that. Ethanol didnt hurt it a bit, that wasnt the problem ever. With the old O2 in it it gave it enough fuel to run quite well on E85, it just used way to much of it.. This is how it moved around for a long time. Best place for it was behind my C10.

I like driving the truck, it pulls ok, but damn all the electrical BS sucks. I needed this thing to work so I could take my kids home and bring back some parts, but oh no that would be too easy. My daughter has far too much crap she wants to haul around every summer, and the 98 Formula is a bit cramped with her junk in it. So now I am thrashing to get the transmission swapped in the 98 Gran Prix I picked up for $500 because it had a slipping trans. I have a parts car for it its just a matter of doing it on the floor rather than a lift. I can carb and AOD this F150 real quick, since I have most of the stuff I need already. I would rather have a bigger engine than the tiny 302 thats in there though.

I have a C1500 long box 4x4 sitting here that needs and engine. Its a TBI 350 and I have been wanting to stuff the 400sbc I have in it. The problem is I dont have any sbc heads, intakes, or distributors and nobody up here has any they want to part with cheap. I thought chevys were supposed to be cheap engines. Why does everyone want $900 for a set of heads? I can get Pontiac heads cheaper than that all day long, and they are 72cc big valve heads not some smogger 882 crap. I need to get the kids back this week so this thing isnt an option to get running. I dont even have the title for it yet. Its gonna be my winter stomper though, might paint it camo pink and lift it with 35s just for laughs. With the standard cab it would be tight for two kids and me all the way back, otherwise it would have a 400 Pontiac in it by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X